• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tax stamp questions

Sorry, I’ve looked at countless articles about this but was hoping for some simple head slapping answers. I put a Hogue pistol grip on my shockwave and made a simple extension to bring the length to 26.75”. But when trying to decipher the limits of modifications I get confused. Is the SW a pistol gripped weapon from the factory? Could any number of things be done to it with the proper paperwork and cash/ tax ? Thinking Serbu super shorty here, although not that extreme. If making a purpose built home defense weapon is the goal with only a 2 bill outlay and some taps on the keyboard, it would interesting to find those limits. ( at least to me lol) Also, am I correct in thinking my pistol grip is still legal as pictured?. Thanks for any insight. View attachment 24268

If the extension on the grip is not permanent, it would not count toward the overall length.

I'm pretty sure the hogue does not meet the minimum standards.

The shockwave is classified as a firearm.

It is not a long gun (no shoulder fired stock). It is not a pistol (no rifled bore and designed to be fired using both hands).

It fits in a very narrow classification within the actual wording of the law.

Any changes to the gun, could negatively affect the legality of it.

In my opinion, the hogue grip does not meet the length requirements if you can remove your homemade extension, and thus, would not be legal without the tax stamp. Either for an AOW or SBS.

Great, thank you for the clarification John. The extension is separate from the grip but uses the same mounting bolt. Guess if it’s not kosher, I’ll just go without it and add a minute for reconfiguration before calling the authorities. Lol or trim the barrel and mag tube a couple inches and keep the Hogue and just pay the tax..or.....

I'm not calling anyone. That's not how I roll.

If I were to register the gun with the nfa, it would be as an SBS. That would allow you the option to add the stock. You don't have to worry about lengths on that. And you could also add a front grip or basically do whatever you wanted to with it.

If you were to AOW it, that would only allow you to add a front vertical grip. And costs the same as the SBS, though if you sold it, would transfer for $5 instead, which doesn't help you in the least.

So bang for your buck, either just put the factory grip back on it and call it for what it is, or get the stamp for an SBS.

That's just my humble opinion.

@Rodburner I wanted to bring one thing to your attention.

Since all this is in the preliminary stages at the moment, I don't know if it pertains to smoothbore or not, but there is currently an ATF comment period concerning certain stabilizing pistol braces and such that would allow you one of several options.

One of which being tax exempted/amnesty from wrong doing and giving you a tax free NFA permit if you were inclined to register it with the government as "whatever classification they are calling them". Since atf can't create a new taxable NFA category, I am assuming they will be registered as short barrel rifle or short barrel shotguns.

This is just in the comment stage and subject to change.

But is a thought I have had.

Thanks again John. I looked at the ATF Regs again and you are right. What a bunch of goofy mf’ers. I just wanted my legal gun to stay legal. My reading says I can’t make it a SBS because it never came with a shoulder stock and it can’t be that other classification of a modified shotgun because I didn’t shorten a stock or the barrel and a shockwave isn’t a shotgun, So, I’m just gonna build a new stand off from the pistol grip that will be non removable. That was the contention before, that little piece that was removable from the grip. Oh for the good old days..lol Steve

You can turn it into an SBS whether it came with a buttstock or not. You just have to apply and pay for your F1 (SBS) and get approval first before adding a stock.

But as long as the extension is permanently attached, (welded) that should be fine long as it meets the 26 inch minimum. Which it looks like it does.

Back