• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tell Us About Your SCREEN NAME and AVATAR...

My avatar should be pretty self-explanatory, but my screen name has an interesting history.
Many years ago before the 'net, I got started in a play-by-mail sci-fi game and needed a user name. I combined portions of my first & last name to come up w/'Tomac', which I've used at every forum I've been a member of.
Fast-forward 40yrs and earlier this year I discovered that 'Tomac' is actually Russian for 'Thomas' which is my real first name!

Another USN guy here, went in as an Airman, worked in Weapons with the AOs and GMs, was a striker and made Hull Maintenance Technician 3rd Class, Kris Ford is my name..and NO, not the TV one..:D I earned my rate, and am very proud of it. What we did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_maintenance_technician
Navy has rates and ranks..your job (MOS) is part of your title...so I was HT3 Ford.

'92-'96 onboard USS George Washington CVN-73, 2 trips to the Persian Gulf, with a stop in the Adriatic during the Bosnia conflict. We had a LOT of sea time being newly commissioned.

(on the guitar forums, It's usually whichever guitar (Gibson and Fender) or amp (MARSHALL JMPs)

Another USN guy here, went in as an Airman, worked in Weapons with the AOs and GMs, was a striker and made Hull Maintenance Technician 3rd Class, Kris Ford is my name..and NO, not the TV one..:D I earned my rate, and am very proud of it. Navy has rates and ranks..your job (MOS) is part of your title...so I was HT3 Ford.

My oldest son was an DC2 when he got out after four years, he was aboard the USS Arthur W. Radford (DD-968). I was a Fire Controlman and spent all my time with Terrier, Harpoon & Tomahawk missile systems and whatever guns systems we had aboard including Phalanx 20mm CIWS. I served aboard the USS England (DLG/CG-22) from 1970 - 1977 during Vietnam and then aboard the USS Dewey (DLG-45) and finally the USS Jouett (CG-22) for Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I retired shortly there after.

Nice to meet ya shipmate.

Last edited:
My oldest son was an HT2 when he got out after four years, he was aboard the USS Arthur W. Radford (DD-968). I was a Fire Controlman and spent all my time with Terrier, Harpoon & Tomahawk missile systems and whatever guns systems we had aboard including Phalanx 20mm CIWS. I served aboard the USS England (DLG/CG-22) from 1970 - 1977 during Vietnam and then aboard the USS Dewey (DLG-45) and finally the USS Jouett (CG-22) for Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I retired shortly there after.

Nice to meet ya shipmate.

Nice to meet you too Master Chief!

I had some experience with Sidewinders, Sparrows, handled plenty of Harpoon and Tomahawks when I was in Weapons Dept..mainly MK series, 82s, 83, 84s..GBUs..etc..etc..(G-3 Bomb Assembly!)

It was either become an AO..or branch out..so I became a Hull Tech. (I had buddies in R DIV)
Almost like 2 distinct phases.
It was SUCH a closed rate then that I PNA'd HT2 TWICE..

Was the only HT on the At Sea Fire Party team as well. (the rest were DCmen)

Hey, George and Kris. Don't you read the rules???

II. POSTING GUIDELINES
When posting, understand that you're trying to communicate with others. Although we have several members that aren’t fluent in English this forum is an English language forum. So here a some important guidelines on this:
1) Write in English.

Kidding of course. I know each of the branches has it's own argot and lexicon. It is really entertaining to me. I just got lost at Kris's "It was SUCH a closed rate then that I PNA'd HT2 TWICE."

Keep it up. I'll keep eavesdropping. :popcorn:

Hey, George and Kris. Don't you read the rules???

II. POSTING GUIDELINES
When posting, understand that you're trying to communicate with others. Although we have several members that aren’t fluent in English this forum is an English language forum. So here a some important guidelines on this:
1) Write in English.

Kidding of course. I know each of the branches has it's own argot and lexicon. It is really entertaining to me. I just got lost at Kris's "It was SUCH a closed rate then that I PNA'd HT2 TWICE."

Keep it up. I'll keep eavesdropping. :popcorn:

Of course I read the rules and I'm sure Kris did as well, it's just that they were in PLAIN English instead of acronyms like Kris
and I are use to reading... Let me break it down for you...

"Closed Rate" = Too many of them in the Navy overall and makes it very hard/impossible to advance. You need to virtually ACE your Exam.

"PNA" = Passed but not Advanced, he passed the Advancement Exam but didn't get advanced because he probably needed to get a
100%, see previous entry for reason.

He was an HT3 (Hull Technician 3rd Class) taking the Advancement Exam to make Hull Technician 2nd Class (HT2).

Keep on, keeping on Scoop, it's all good with us Swabbies.

I was trying to find something that was non-descript but said "Murica"- Guess I could have added some crossed AR's or something to make it better

Back