• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The 590 Shockwave; where is it legal to own?

So after rossignol posted a comment about the shockwave being classified as a firearm and not a SG, I called a couple different local FFLs here. It is legal to buy and sell in NY. It meets an overall length so now I have to seriously consider getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, exactly, which is why I'm perplexed about Ohio. We're actually one of the more gun friendly states.

Texas law will be clarified this September 1st, when HB 1819 goes into effect and they will clearly be allowed in Texas. Wednesday, May 17th, the Texas House Passed HB 1819, authored by Rep. Drew Springer (R-Muenster) with senate sponsor, Sen. Charles Perry (R-Lubbock) plus an amendment by Sen. Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls).
The addition of the senate amendment caused HB1819 to be returned to the House for concurrence and HB 1819 with the amendment was accepted! The amendment will allow Texans to purchase this defensive shotgun.
Texas HB 1819 was already proposed as a good change to further clairfy the use of suppressors in our State. However when the "gray" area came up with Shockwaves and TAC-14 "firearms" with 14" barrels, we were lucky that our Legislature was in session (in Texas they only meet each 2 years).
Our good friends at the Texas State Rilfe association worked with Senator Craig Estes to ammend the bill to read: "unless the item is registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or otherwise not subject to that registration requirementor unless the item is classified as a curio or relic by the United States Department of Justice..." So in short, if the BATFE says it doesn't need NFA restrictions, Texas will now say it doesn't need restrictions.
So finally in Texas too, it will be just another Title I "firearm" only needing a 4473. The good Governor is expected to sign it, without issue and it will go into effect (with other new Texas laws) on 1 September 2017. So, a few more months wait, but it should be a good Holiday sales boost for Texas LGS and owners! Detail about the bill can be found here (only facts, no fiction):
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB1819

Just an update the Governor of Texas signde HB1819 yesterday, 26 May 2017. It will become effective 1 September, clearining the way for the Shockwave and similar "firearms."
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB1819

While in Vegas, I went to The Gun Store and rented a Thompson and an M16, both full auto. They had about 30 different full autos you could rent and shoot at their indoor range. I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there was a line of guys waiting. I met one guy from Switzerland who rented a MP5. It was a fun place to visit.

While in Vegas, I went to The Gun Store and rented a Thompson and an M16, both full auto. They had about 30 different full autos you could rent and shoot at their indoor range. I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there was a line of guys waiting. I met one guy from Switzerland who rented a MP5. It was a fun place to visit.

Now there are no less than approximately ten ranges that rent full autos. The Gun Store use to be a sort of locals indoor range facility, but then several years ago they turned it into "Disneyland with guns" for the tourists. I don't fault them for making a buck, it was a much more lucrative market. I usually go out of town to some desert shooting areas when I want to sling some lead.

It's certainly legal here in Nevada!!

Well is it really "certainly?"

There was speculation that it may not be, by some, because currently the state does not define "shotgun" and we all assume they will simply fall back on the federal definition.

That being said, I find it highly doubtful that they would write in a law all because of one firearm.

Delaware uses the Federal definition of a shotgun i.e. designed to be fired from the shoulder. That makes the Shockwave a "firearm" and legal to own.

That article doesn't go into detail. The Shockwave was that catalyst that started it. It was also the perfect time to implement everything else to cover the possible passage of federal legislation.

I'm in Western NY state and I just picked one up from my FFL today.
anim_wave.gif

Back