• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Future of Mossberg? I hope not...

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Just talked to Mossberg.

New for 2011... (insert dramatic pause) The Chainsaw!!! Yay! :shock:

Ok, not yay. It will be in the new catalogs as af the first week of February. As anticipated, it has a railed forend, pistol grip, tactical "stand off" barrel, and the wicked awesome "chain saw" handle!

Also new this year will be a couple "BlackWater" edition shottys. The first is a 590A1 model similar to the SPX, which has been available for the 590, but not the 590A1. It will feature a Speed Feed pistol grip stock, receiver mounted rail with GR rear sight and AR white stripe front post or blade, and railed forend. There will be a similar 500 6 shot model.

K, thnx Mossberg.

We need to make it a real priority this year as a community to help guide what we would like to see new for 2012 and beyond. Products like the chainsaw are exactly what hurt Mossberg as a brand.

I really do understand tacticoolness, and the marketing to go with it. The "BlackWater" stuff doesnt bother tooooo much, still gimicky of Mossberg to feel the need to use the BlackWater name to sell stuff.

The "Chainsaw" however... I really dont understand that at all.

I apologize, I continue to dwell on this.

If Mossberg is trying to market tactical, is it not enough to talk about the engineering that goes into every Mossberg (shotguns in this case) that makes them ideal for military and LE?

Mike Shain of AIMPRO has already laid out a case detailing the ingenuity behind the design of the 500/590. From the shell lifter which tucks up flush to the bolt slide when the chamber is closed which is also slotted so a shell can be cleared from the lifter when its open, to the dual extractors to better handle case head deformation which ensures extraction. The tang safety in genius, you dont have to move your hand from the ready to funtion the button, the same for the action slide release. After using a Mossy, go try one of Big Greens and see if it doesnt feel awkward. Just try loading shells into a mag tube you cant see and youll be wishing for that lifter to be out of the way.

Sorry my editorial isnt more eloquent, but Mossberg please dont be gimmicky. You dont need to. You need only to tell the truth about the product. Tell the stories like the one Mike Shain mentioned about the rang officer with a California LE agency that uses exclusively slugs in a range owned 590 and how he has run 250,000 rounds through the thing with minimal replacement of only basic parts.

Even if you happen to be one of the 18 to 25 year olds Mossberg seems to be marketing to, the Mossberg 500/590 family is tactically ready to go as an HD firearm. You dont need gimmicks, you need to shoot more. A chainsaw handle wont make you a better shooter, and it doesnt make the shotgun more tactical. If you notice, the trend seems to be developement for LE and military, then all things for the civy market are adapted from that, not the other way around. If a chainsaw handle made the gun a better performer, our country would already have thousands of these in cruisers and and in military vehicles riding "shotgun" ready for deployment.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to the ramblings of a Mossberg fan and shotgun nut.

I'm tellin you guys, you'll feel TOTALLY different about this gun when the MIDGET ZOMBIES attack!!!

They prefer to be called little undead people or LUP'S.....damn dude don’t you have a heart

I promise I won't feel differently about the stupid chainsaw when the "LUP's" attack and I have 2 rather capable Mossy's at hand, one being a 7 + 1 and the other being 8 + 1 capacity. Both have stocks and can be aimed, and even if they were PGO guns, I could still sight across the receiver. So tell the undead midgets and otherwise to come on with it!!!

The OFM Chainsaw can be fun when circus clowns start juggling with them! ;)

For those that HAVEN'T seen it yet.

Chainsaw.jpg

MB50460.JPG

I think this woud be a fun collection gun. But I am not to that point in my cashflow yet. Now, how long before this is in a movie? Anyone?

Now I wonder if we could get Husqvarna to make a chainsaw with a Hogue short L.O.P. and a tri-rail forend!?! :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Now I wonder if we could get Husqvarna to make a chainsaw with a Hogue short L.O.P. and a tri-rail forend!?! :lol:

You just gave me an idea. I may have to mess around in the basement for a bit... :cool:

It is definitely a head turner at the range. Had mine a couple of weeks. Everyine who sees it wants to either hold and/ or pop off a round or two so they can experience the recoil.

I've practiced clearing my home. One of the best advantages, mentioned to me by a couple of L/E friends, is that a bad guys are focused at an eye level stare. So that in the moment it takes to look down, the last thing they will see is the flash.

Attachments

• chainsaw-table.jpg
    chainsaw-table.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,095
I put one of these in my hands for the first time yestetday. I have to say the chainsaw grip still doesn't do much for me, but I do like the the rest of the gun a LOT! It makes my nine shot 590 cruiser with the breacher barrel feel a mile long.

I kinda understand the chainsaw grip mentality, but don't think I would personally like to use it.

But they really do need to consider renaming the Mossberg Tactical Turkey series of shotguns.

It should never be used in the same sentence together.

Back