• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The Point: Arrowhead Pics and Discussion

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Arrowheads? Is there a particular type you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

My first wild boar taken with bow was using a Bear Razorhead (the one that comes with bleeders)withouth the bleeders.In picture,number 8 at bottom.It reached lungs through the ribs when the animal was quartering away and was found dead not far from shoot.The weight was about 240 pounds.
Some years later I had the opportunity to use the same broadhead in heavy bones,shooting to an african warthog in shoulder very next to me and it bent getting any penetration.I never used it again.When shooting at short distances to hard skinned animals I prefer two blade traditional broadheads.You know that in the worst case if you hit a hard bone,like scapula,the arrow will have more probabilities to reach the vitals.

Grizzly broadhead 190 grains(number 3 at bottom,red) is also a good option when trying to hunt hard skinned animal.The design of it causes normally a crash when hitting some bones.
Sometimes,when we had a hunters meeting we like to make some test in hard bones... ;) Grizzly in action... no damage on it.

One of the best modern two blade broadhead I have ever seen:Hunor broadhead.This is not a cheap point but the quality is very high.

Speaking of tradtional 3 blades broadhead this is my favourite: Wensel woodsman broadhead.I got a brain shoot to a big wild boar with this broadhead.

Very Cool Selous. I was recently looking into how arrows actually work since they don't have the energy of a bullet. Basically I was wondering how a smaller caliber handgun like a 9mm stacked up. And the arrow head was the answer. And a 9mm doesn't compare. :lol: The amount of damage one of those arrow heads does is incredible. The wound channel is massive and even though it doesn't have the same velocity, that arrow head makes up for all of it into quite an efficient weapon. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Paul,it is not easy to compare bullets with arrows.Speaking of energy and velocity the difference between both is enormous but when we take into account the proyectile weight and the design of it the arrow is capable of making a massive wound channel.Also a bullet can do it ,but the effects of arrow after it hits the animal properly(good shoot placement)are different from a bullet.
A high velocity bullet generates "cavitation" inside the animal.A bullet will destroy or damage any tissues which it penetrates, creating a wound channel. It will also cause nearby tissue to stretch and expand as it passes through tissue. The arrow do not have bullet´s stopping power but is capable of making a wound channel with less damage tissues around it.The way the animal dies is different in both cases.I can affirm that the taste of a wild boar hunted with bow and arrow is better.
Dr. Ed Ashby has invested 27 years in the study of arrow performance and broadhead lethality. His testing is the closest thing to the scientific method as is possible under the testing conditions
Link:
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx

Some words from Ashby broadhead study:
Based upon outcomes observed during the many years of the
Arrow Lethality Studies, I have several criteria for what
makes a really good broadhead. They are: (1) the blade must
have reasonable metal thickness; (2) that it be of very good
quality steel; (3) that it neither bend nor break when hard
bone is hit; (4) that it have a Rockwell scale hardness from
fifty-two to fifty-seven; (5) that the steel from which it is
made will tend to break before taking a bend; (6) that it have
a long and narrow shape (high mechanical advantage); (7) that
the ferrule taper is long, and fades very smoothly into the
blade; (8) that there are no abrupt junctures anywhere on the
head, and (9) that the blades have a straight taper cutting
edge.
For each of these criteria I have a specific reason

Dr. Ashby's reports contain a lot of good information. I've been following them for several years.

I like the Woodsman broadheads as well. I also like the Razorcaps. I find them a little easier to tune than the Woodsmans and they are just as easy to sharpen.

Just stumbled upon this. I can't see the MI DNR allowing this for hunting (at least in the archery seasons).

I'm not sure if I like it or not. Given the current climate, I'm not sure this will fly (no pun intended)

Incredible.Personally,I don´t like this "gadget".I can not say if there will be a market for this thing,but I think that the serious bowhunter won´t try it.I hope so.
The cartridge seems to be a .357.How can this cartridge be effective without using a barrel?The pressure will be minimal and also the bullet energy.Very curious that all the shoots to wild boars on video go to head. :roll: :?: :?: Why any shoot to chest cavity??
It remembers me to the tool used in pig farms to sacrifice the animals with a "shoot"in head.
Only my opinion.

LES,the same scene of this film came to my mind when I watched the promotional video of those bullet-arrows. :lol:

Hey friend,you have found a good picture of the explosive broadhead used by Rambo ;) .I think that the conic part is a plastic protector metal painted and the arrowhead is a Razorbak from NAP,....I think
You can see a picture of that point in this post above;number 7 on top at the picture of broadheads collection.

Back