• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

Re: The troubled history of the 930 SPX

Oh, and they have put a much nicer(well... its nicer/fits nice) recoil pad on these new ones! Just gonna run some electric tape around the side as it is still kinda 'sticky'. And, they actually seem to be listening, theres actually a SLING SWIVEL IN FRONT!

Good deal, glad youre diggin it! If you need help with pics, let me know!

Yea, its saying "The image you tried to attach ia invalid!!", but at least from what I'm hearing so far is that this "third generation" has significantly reduced the problems, as far as mine is. I cant find anything to complain about, (sure is weird looking down the barrel and seeing the dual gas ports in a SHOTUN, but it's a semi, just been a pumper!) in fact Im VERY GLAD I WAITED! An actual sling attachment point(!!What a CRAZY IDEA!!), straight sights with even weld/attachment all around sight, slightly thicker barrel, new charging handle, better rubber butt pad that fits the stocks profile(no gaps at toe), rail SEEMS to have a wider bearing surface(might be wrong, and have not seen the rail attachments on the sides correct?), also seems to be more of a parkerized finish which I like!! Now just gotta go put a couple boxes of 00 Buck, #4, #6, and some 1 OZ. slug through it!! WISH ME LUCK! I hope this is all the beginning of the 'Mossberg REDEMPTION", cause... THIS THING ROCKS (lets just hope it 'rolls' just as well), even though the mag ext IS slightly crooked(UPDATE:It's not, was just angle and way it attaches that made it look like it!!!! Still prob might put a Nordic on it after the Aimpro rail. :D ), better than the sight post! Yet it still shucks shells fine, gona shoot it Fri-Sat for reliability testing!!!!! GOOD LUCK ON EVERYONE ELSES 930 SPX!!
Stephen
P.S. On the front sight, I do believe it is the 'third gen barrel and FSB/post, is the front sights fiber optic 'post' supposed to be like a downward angle higher at the front and sloping lower at the back towards the reciever? And the top of the front sights post is just SLIGHTLY(VERY SLIGHTLY) under 1 1/4" from the top of the "wing" to the top of the barrel(if you put tape measure on top of barrel and measure up).... wish I knew how to upload pics to better explain it!!!

Did a quick overview/BEDtop review of the EXCELLENT '3rd Gen' Mossberg 930 SPX, my 'Jungle Gun', both cause of the old Mossy 'Jungle Gun' that wasnt up to par is being(in my mind)replaced by this little gem!! Thanks M24shooter, Rosignol, EVERYONE THANK YOU!! Steve Heres the link, sorry the sound is like behind the vid, I DONT KNOW WHY! SORRY!lol [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8iohW9BC8[/youtube]

Good work on the review and nicely done! No worries about the sound, still able to follow!

Rossignol said:
Good work on the review and nicely done! No worries about the sound, still able to follow!
HAHA, thanks, it's still bad, and will be replaced when I can get some shooting on video, and then cut it into the review. I think it's my camera software, I honestly dont know!! But, I need a new camera anyway, things are up to like 14 megapixels now! But, thanks, I tried to get out the pertinent data, I know Ill find SOMETHING I FORGOT, but I just get SPX 'drunk' around this gun and get the 1000 yd gaze,lol! Just wanted to thankl you as well M24shooter(I couldnt remember your name in the vid, and didnt wanna butcher it with what was coming to mind besause rossing is NOT CORRECT!). So, I hope some guys that havent SEEN the newest 'version' of the 930 SPX can kinda see what they might have interest in, I know I like to see those kinds of reviews instead of just my face with occasional gazes at the firearm, well ENJOY, lol!! If anyone has any questions as Ive familiarized myself pretty well with this new shotty please feel free to ask here or comment on that vid, either one, but of course M24shooter, Rossignol, and the rest of the 'crew' here will be glad to help. HAPPY SHOOTIN' GUYS ;) !!
Steve

WOW! Very dissapointed in Mossbergs procedure of customer service/policies, I'll be writing a letter DIRECTLY to the CEO, they ended up having a little too long of a mag spring, and although I can(?) maybe cut it down myself, when I called they said I'D HAVE TO SEND THE ENTIRE FIREARM BACK IN FOR them to 'check the problem, and work on it'!!! I just want my 7-shot capacity with more than ONE BRAND OF BUCK, not asking too much am I(??) with the correct spring length!! Im not risking sending my otherwise perfect condition SPX in FOR A MAG SPRING THEY MESSED UP ON!! VERY UPSETTING, thought they'dgot the message, about to call back and ask to speak with a supervisor, this is RIDICULOUS!!
Steve :cry:

I agree, and this has been an ongoing issue. I wish I had away to get through to someone higher up, but I have called on numerous occassions on behalf of others and explained our community and the forum and asked if there is a better way, just hoping that as a group we could put a little pressure on them to get better results from the customer service end. Nope. The best they will do is send a prepaid FedEx label to cover shipping.

I do have a "go to girl". I can try and get a hold of her tonight.

I will make some calls and send some emails.

Trying again today, when I called back for the second time I was told a supervisor would return my call(for a magazine spring!, but okay) after he got back for lunch, never heard anything, so I'm gonna try again hoping to get the same guy, or if Im lucky talk to Javier Contreras, I believe was a name of a GOOD GUY to talk to over there at C.S. I read about on here. I just cant in good concience send in a perfectly fine SPX just for a magazine spring. Imscared it wont come back as nice as it is now!!! But, again I shall try, will keep abreast of situation. :roll:
Thanks guys,
Stephen

Okay, all is well on the Magazine Extension spring, not sure if the first guy wasnt hearing me right, but I talked to C.S. yesterday, and told him the situation. After he apologized(which I did appreciate) for the 'run around', he said that it's a part that they should NOT request anything be sent back in, as they didnt give me the correct spring for the correct product (probably Choate, but still, THEY DO assemble it), so took my address and said it'll ship as soon he can get it boxed. So, I REALLY DO think that the gentleman I ORIGINALLY spoke to actually thought it might have been my MAGAZINE TUBE(?), I could be mistaken, but when I said I wasnt getting 'my 7-shots, but only 6' I went on to explain it was due to the spring, but he was a BIT confused, so this will be chocked up to the 'human error', and in the future I DO EXPECT the type of C.S. I revieved from the second gentleman(real nice, knwoledgeable, and apologetic, which is A GOOD COMBO FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!) So, now Im somewhat 'reassured' in Mossbergs new 'attitude' towards small item replacement. Thanks for everything guys, next.... AIMPRO TRI-RAIL and a TLR-1S, love my WX150, but it just looks too sweet on my FNP-45, so the 930 SPX gets it's own!! Thinking about the new M590A1 SPX.... LOOKS SWEET, even sweeter next to it's 930 brother and Win 1300 Defender 'brother in-law'! Really become a renewed shotgun lover.. Like it says above..."who needs a rifle, Ive got a .73 caliber, 1 ounce SLUG!" ;) (or something to that effect!!)
Stephen

Right on man! Glad its gonna be taken care of and def let us know when you get the spring installed!

Rossignol said:
Right on man! Glad its gonna be taken care of and def let us know when you get the spring installed!
WILL DO KIND SIR!!!! :D
Stephen

Hope the gun runs right, and dealing with OFM can be problematic at times. You'll like that Tri-Rail.

Hey guys, very curious about the S&J Hardware bayonet lug +2 mag extension. Wondering if anyone has seen one up close or has/had one if it is a sturdy unit that would actually be able to serve the purpose of a 'bayonet lugged shotgun' like M1897 'Trench Gun' w/Bayonet, it is a cool idea, just wouldnt want the one time u needed that bayonet be what 'snaps' your mag extension under the pressure of a 'thrust' (would use a hi-quality mag clamp like a Nordic as it would strengthen the 'system' up)... BROKEN!!! Also, is it the same 7+1 capacity(with some loads, but I moved my factory mag extension out as far as it would with the included sling mount w/S&J kit, or a GG&G, etc and it gives PERFECT 7+1 w/most ALL 2 3/4" loads!! :D ) Appreciate any info... M24 SHOOTER, I THINK I saw a pic thru one of ur links.. I think?
Thanks guys and gals,
Stephen

Rossignol said:
I do have a "go to girl". I can try and get a hold of her tonight.

Good for you man....you have time for her with all you're doing here.....! :oops:

Yep! Shes actually a customer service rep. I can sometimes email her in the evenings with questions.

m24shooter said:
I will add to this as time allows.
The 930 SPX had some issues to start with. Mossberg set themselves up for a perfect storm of customer service mishap and disappointment with the 930 SPX. It was very highly sought after when it was released. It was not a limited production gun, but it was not made in super large numbers; certainly not in sufficient numbers to meet the demand. They basically subcontracted it out with Choate doing extension components, LPA doing the sights, a third place installing those, and then the normal Mossberg production/assembly.
The sight assembly REALLY got screwed up when the barrels were not correctly placed in the jigs to have the sights attached to the barrel. QC screwed up because the cant wasn't caught before it left the factory. Because of the large number of screwed up sight towers, the Service Center was very quickly overwhelmed by the numbers of repairs. Add in that the Service Center further aggravated the situation by not taking care of customers, not having enough repair items, sending back new barrels that were canted as badly as the original barrels, and the limited number of staff having to deal with way more complaints than they were staffed to handle.
Another problem was that the front sight height could be off enough to cause POI issues. There is apparently enough of a tolerance issue between the sight, the receiver, the rail, the rear sight, and the barrel that some people had no problems with POI, while others had all kinds of problems with the sights maxed out. On top of this, OFM once again screwed themselves when they didn't put any info in the pubs that even told owners that the front sight was adjustable. To this day, I still talk to people that do not know that the front sight is adjustable. Who knows how many front sight problems weren't problems at all but were actully improperly adjusted.
There were also problems with mis-installing the screws that hold the rail on. There are two different lengths of screws, and sometimes the incorrect length was used. Some of them were overtorqued and stripped the receiver threads out and would literally fall out if the shotgun was inverted.
Reliability issues have generally been with brand new shotguns. The shotgun needs to be cleaned well before it is shot. Mossberg uses some heavy thick preservatives that can cause some problems. Best results with those that have had problems has been to run hotter loads through it to start, usually above 1200 fps. Some people never have problems. I haven't had any.
Some people have gotten the shotgun out of the box with a broken forearm retainer. Not a big deal, but should not be an issue with a new gun.
The feeding issues with the 930 SPX usually are usually due to two things: the mag extension problems and improperly sized FCG pins. The mag extension problems are typically a bent or dented or misaligned extension, a transition area problem between the extension nut and the mag tube that allows the follower to snag, or improper spring tension. The first one should be pretty easy to spot. The second one shows when you can feed the first round or two and then the follower hangs and can be popped loose, and the final one can be diagnosed by looking at the spring. If it is something like 30" or longer, it is too long and needs to be trimmed. This has put too much spring pressure on the shell latches, and the first round of a fully loaded mag tube will not release. This is being seen in people with new from the factory shotguns and also those that purchased just the extension kit from Choate. The spring should be I think in the area of 25-28" and some of them have been up to 40" in length.
If you shoot it for long sessions, you will notice the bolt slowing down after some time. When it does this, I squirt CLP in the open receiver and on the bolt body, then operate the bolt by hand a couple of times. It picks right back up.
I've been able to shoot even light loads in mine, and FedTac buck and slugs have been absolutely no problem.
The FTF issues hasn't been a major issue and isn't systematic like the other problems were.
Some 930s have what I would guess is a stacked tolerance issue in that there is just enough room in the bushings in the FCG, the FCG itself, and slightly undersized FCG pins allowing a lot of lateral movement in the reciever by the FCG. The Mesa sidesaddles have had a history of making functional 930s into non-functional 930s. It seems that this was due to small diameter connectors that allowed a little too much slop in the FCG of the 930, causing feeding problems. Mesa is supposed to be getting some new connectors to fix this issue, but I have heard that the new connectors or at least what were supposed to be the new connectors were having the same problem. Mesa is working on it, so hopefully for everyone that has one that will get worked out. I know there are a lot of happy Mesa users that have never had a problem with the connectors.
In addition to the QC and CS issues mentioned, Mossberg CS really messed up in how they handled a lot of the repairs. A lot of people called in to report the sight issue and try to get a replacement barrel. This was such a widely known issue that you could go to pretty much any board and read about canted front sights and low POI issues. How did Mossberg respond? The required the customer to pay for the shogun to be shipped to the service center. The whole shotgun. Many people reported this happening. In some cases, Mossberg agreed to prepay shipping and sent out the printed shipping forms. For a lot of people, the requirement to send the whole shotgun back, and especially on their own dime completely turned them off to Mossberg. I know of several people that sold their 930 SPX when they got it back from Eagle Pass. In addition to this problem, there were reports of a very, very slow turnaround. Some people have said that they were told that their shotgun had been sent back, only to have it never arrive because it didn't ever ship. The customer would call back and then be told that they were waiting on the replacement barrel.
If you get a newer production gun, you are not as likely to have the problems I mentioned above. The sight tower is on it's third version now, and they haven't had issues with the cant in a while. I haven't heard of a lot of the problems in a long time, so hopefully OFM has gotten their act together. I think you are much more likely to get a quality gun out of the box now than ever before. And even with the above issues lined up and explained, there are a very large number of users that never had any of the problems at all, ever. I didn't have any of them, and I know I'm not unique in that.

WOW! Never noticed this, I could never get more than 6 shells of a LOT of 00buck brands and thought it was just them being longer. I took apart my gun again today to clean it, measured the spring and it's "36".... The same length that the REPLACEMENT SPRING they just sent me is!! So, it should be "25-"28"? How do I trim it to where the 'new end' nestles into the end of the mag tube perfectly? Any pics on this 'trimming'? I appreciate any help! Cant believe theyre THIS FAR OFF... STILL! Made in December 2010! Thanks,
Stephen

heyya, heyya, heyya. new 930 spx owner here. i got the 85360 non-pistol grip (have a choate pg on order though) this past week. right off the bat i noticed that i had a crooked choate mag extention tube. i called mossberg and i'm guessing/hoping they'll just send me a new one right away. i have no clue if they want this one back or not. this thing was manufactured so that it was brazed on crookedly. no way i can mount a clamp to it. i also noted that while practice loading the tube, about 25% of the time i could only fit 5 shells vs 7. the follower seemed to be getting snagged right where the choate's but is brazed to the nut, so this cannot stand.

it also seems that the front sight is just ever so slanted. enough to bug me and my OCD. otherwise it functions flawlessly. i do notice that when the tube ext is just loose enough that the barrel has some play in how mounts to the receiver. when i torque down the tube ext this slop can equate to a BARELY canted fronst sight or a very noticeable cant. i doubt it would matter if i tightened the tube ext down in the least canted position because once a shell is fired off, the slop is going to position the barrel anywhere it wants to be. again, it shot on target, so i think i'll be letting this one slide.

Back