• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Think I put my earlier post in the wrong place.....should be here

Gfortythree

Copper BB
I just discovered that my Mossberg 500A is missing the front sight set-screw (Ghost Ring). I'm hoping someone here knows the thread size. Haven't found any drawing or list of parts that mentions it.

Sorry I can't specifically help you on size but a couple of suggestions.

First, call Mossberg service and see if they can provide assistance with info or maybe even send you a replacement.

Secondly, most good hardware or farm & feed stores have a good selection of set screws in their bolt & screw speciality bins.

Third, if you have access to a local gunsmith they will likely have a set screw and install it for a nominal charge.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Good advice.

Another alternative, you can buy a tap and drill bit from ebay in all the popular sizes as well if you can't figure it out and need to just do your own.

6-48 is the largest diameter.

5-40 is the middle of the road

3-56 is the smallest.

Anything besides those, and they're not regular shotgun threads, but still, you can figure something out.

But if you call mossberg, I think it is likely that they'll replace it.

What they said above but DO NOT FORCE any screw into the threads because you will tear the threads up! Once you find the correct screw, a drop of Loctite blue ought to do...

Thanks for your replies!

I sent an email to Mossberg Service and their reply included this: "....We are currently experiencing a high volume of inquiries. We will get you as quickly as we can, but it may take up to 72 business hours for you to receive a response...."

Stay tuned!

I don't know how long it may would take for a return reply to an email.

But, they do have people physically answering phones during the week. I think both earlier replies specifically mentioned calling them but emailing may work out.

I didn't know that 500A shotguns came with a front ghost ring.

Is it factory original? Usually the front is a bead, or else a sight blade. A ghost ring is something I have never encountered before.

Can you provide a pic please?

@Ernst

I'm still not seeing a front ghost ring sight, I am seeing a base which needs silver-soldered on to the barrel nor do I see a set screw.

I am now guessing that the front screw in the rear ghost ring sight is the one which is missing? I guess I was just reading too literally into the OP question. I'm sort of a word/grammar nazi.

I now interpret him to mean the front screw for the ghost ring rear sight assembly.

Sorry guys. Apologies.

Nitesite

Agree, think most of us are actually confused as to where the missing set screw is located. I've never actually seen one of these sights but it appears the front "ramp" has a base plate attached to the barrel and the actual ramp piece is removable / adjustable. Thus must be held in by something. I was assuming that was where the missing set screw was located???? Maybe not????

Maybe the OP will chime in and enlightening us.

I suspect Mossberg will send him a replacement or if they tell him the thread size and length any good hardware store likely has one in stock.

Regards

@Ernst

If it has GRS the front sight blade is dovetailed into a base which must be silver soldered onto the barrel. No other way around it, unless it is some aftermarket crap front sight. There is no OEM set screw, or screw at all on the front sight..

So the screw must (I assume) be missing from part of the REAR sight assembly, which mounts using the drilled and tapped receiver setup for a Weaver-type base. But there isn't a smaller screw within the rear ghost ring itself which maybe he is describing. I have looked at my 590 and there is an elevation screw in the middle of the rear sight, and two (a front and a rear) allen screw which holds the rear sight assembly to the receiver.

I'm still a bit confused.

Imagine how the person on the Mossberg phone line will feel.... :)

I don't know how long it may would take for a return reply to an email.

But, they do have people physically answering phones during the week. I think both earlier replies specifically mentioned calling them but emailing may work out.

Customer Service just replied: "Send us your address and we'll send you the part."

I didn't know that 500A shotguns came with a front ghost ring.

Is it factory original? Usually the front is a bead, or else a sight blade. A ghost ring is something I have never encountered before.

Can you provide a pic please?

This is factory original (OEM). Looking at my 2004 OFM Field Guide, mine is Item No. 50517 shown under Special Purpose Shotguns,
500 Persuader/Cruiser.

20220418_113913.jpg

@Ernst

I'm still not seeing a front ghost ring sight, I am seeing a base which needs silver-soldered on to the barrel nor do I see a set screw.

I am now guessing that the front screw in the rear ghost ring sight is the one which is missing? I guess I was just reading too literally into the OP question. I'm sort of a word/grammar nazi.

I now interpret him to mean the front screw for the ghost ring rear sight assembly.

Sorry guys. Apologies.

Sorry for the confusion caused by my original post.
The missing set-screw is part of the front sight and secures the upper portion into the dovetail. I mentioned "Ghost Ring" so readers would know this was NOT about any bead-type sight.
Look on youtube under "XS Sights SHOTRAIL". (part of Gun Stock Reviews).
In the last half of the video, they remove/replace the upper portion of this sight and adjust the set-screw.

Gfortythree, glad our suggestion to contact Mossberg Service worked out.

It would be helpful once you get the replacement set screw to post the size and length so if someone the future has the same issue they will know the proper size.

Secondly, we've been remise in welcoming you to the forum. As you can already see, there's lots of good folks here willing to help on Mossberg weapons and most other brands. Many decades of weapons experience.

Regards

Last edited:
Dang.

That front sight is way up there ain't it?

I'd probably start getting worried about my fear of heights returning using a front sight that tall.

Back