• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thoughts on potential new Mossy

I have seen one new for around $257. It's this a good price. Looks like generic field model wood stock, 5 rd tube, etc.

It is a magnum, is it still possible to use 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells? Any downsides to doing so?

Sent from Tapatalk

Use slickguns.com to enter the exact model in their search box and you'll get the best prices to help you compare. Sounds like a good deal to me, but I don't watch 535s. Magnums can shoot anything up to 3" without downsides that I'm aware of.

The 535 can fire 12 gauge 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells.

Downsides may come down to recoil sensitivity. 3" magnums can kick. 3-1/2" magnums can kick more but deliver more payload.

$250? Probably about right. I always check the interwebz for comparison.

I've got one and I like it just fine. I bought it on a whim, thought I wanted a 3 1/2" 12 gauge at the time and found it staring me down at Walmart. Keep in mind I don't hunt anymore and at the time I'd never yet had the privilege of shooting a 3 1/2" load. Long story short, I for some reason had some old 3 1/2 magnum 00's layin' around so I tossed em in and gave em a go. I'll tell you this, I was ready to be done with that mess just about as quick as it started. Anyways, I do like my 535, but if I had it to do over, I'd have got another 500 just based on barrel interchangeability alone. 2 3/4" bust clays just fine all day long for me so I really haven't a need for that larger chamber. But if you do have a need for a 3 1/2" SG, get it.

The 535 can fire 12 gauge 2-3/4", 3", and 3-1/2" shells.
Crap, that's right: the 535 is a 3-1/2" gun. :oops: Read the OP and forgot about that. Depending on what you want to use the gun for,
pcolapaddler, a 500 might be a better option. In my (expensive) area it's not uncommon to see 8-shot guns or 6-shot combos (18.5" and 28" barrels) for about the price you saw when on sale. They'll have synthetic furniture these days, though, if this matters to you. But as FullAuto556 said your parts/customization options will be more open with a 500.
My shotguns are used for defense and loaded with 2-3/4" shells, like most people do. I consider 3" rounds the nuclear option... :D

Crap, that's right: the 535 is a 3-1/2" gun.

I only just realized this recently after putting the pieces together when I got the 835.

Many 3" shells that are marked or labeled as "high velocity" are in reality in the area of 1400 FPS so are very similar to low velocity 2-3/4" shells. I personally have little/no use for 3-1/2" loads though I imagine there are folks out there who will use nothing else depending on the game.

Stance goes a long way in recoil mitigation and I can tell you from experience, crouching in an unnatural position for a shot can leave one sitting on their backside.

I love the ability to shoot 3.5" shells through my 835, I do not like the ability to destroy my shoulder for days by doing so. LOL But it's nice to have options.

Anyone who says they don't feel recoil while hunting has never fired a pump action shotgun with max 3.5" loads.

Any new name brand shotgun for around $250 is a good deal IMHO.

Anyone who says they don't feel recoil while hunting has never fired a pump action shotgun with max 3.5" loads.

I don't feel the recoil or notice the sound when I hunt. But I've never hunted with a 3-1/2" load.

Back