• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thoughts on Replica EOTECH Sights

JoeRotella

.270 WIN
I have looked on ebay and other online places and see a ton of fake EOTECH sights. I have the great fortune of knowing someone at EOTECH so I may feel different. I think everybody who puts one of these sights on diminishes the genuine product. You are buying a cheap Chines knock off and taking a job away from a hard working American.

When you find these knock off or replica sights you should report them to EOTECH. Below is a link to read about the fakes.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/Rec ... 204-09.pdf

I know the real thing is expensive but there are alternatives like a legit Sitemark sight at .25% of the cost - still the genuine product and better performance.

Thoughts?

I've heard good and bad. My personal experience is that you get what you pay for with optics.

If this is just a range gun I'd say go for it. If this is a gun that you expect to perform under pressure and harsh condition buy the real deal.

Many knock offs use cheaper plastics and glass making them much less durable.

I prefer to buy the real deal.

I've certainly bought optics in the budget category, usually from Primary Arms or similar sources... but these companies sell their own products aren't necessarily "copies" (i.e. claiming to be Aimpoint, Trijicon or Eotech) and don't market them that way either. I've also owned and used the high end optics and can say for certain that budget optics don't compare on any level.

As for Chinese counterfeits... the one's who actually slap on the other manufactures name and claim to be the same product... SHOULD NEVER BE BOUGHT. The problem is that many guys are going for the tacticool look but don't have the $$$ or the will to save up for the real thing. " I need to look cool, and I need it now"... very similar to knock off hand bags you buy (or used to) on Canal Street in NYC. Women want the designer stuff but don't have the cash to buy it.... Mall ninjas do the same with their "equipment".

When I first saw the title, I was scratching my head about what you meant about replica's.

I have a few Bushnell Holosights, and they are the same as Eotech's, less the protective lens hood.

Bushnell marketed the holosights as their own, but were made and serviced by L3 and were actually designated Eotech 501 and 502's if memory serves me correctly.

The contract ran out a few years back and you won't find a new one, but they're good optics if you can find one. Especially the AA version, which was discontinued probably 8 years ago or more.

My AA version (502) has been mounted on various AR's, and currently lives on the SMG with no problems whatsoever, and the N cell (501) has always been mounted on the MP5 SBR.

The Chinese egay knock off's are pure unadulterated junk.

The internals are entirely different. The reticles won't get bright enough to use outdoors and wash out, they lack waterproofing seals, etc.

Absolute junk and I wouldn't use one for anything other than target practice.

Joe, tell your friend I'm a fan!

I've got three EOTech units that have served me well and I wouldn't spend a dime on a knock-off...

John A. said:
When I first saw the title, I was scratching my head about what you meant about replica's.
I guess I misunderstood as well

John A. said:
The Chinese egay knock off's are pure unadulterated junk.

The internals are entirely different. The reticles won't get bright enough to use outdoors and wash out, they lack waterproofing seals, etc.

Totally agree.

Sorry if the title confused any of you, my intent was to vent about the junk knock offs people buy to look cool or worse to sell on ebay and other sights to make big money.. Every one of these knock offs take money out of a company who is in the USA - provide USA jobs.

I will let him know he has some friends on MO.

Joe

Boy this old thread can only open up a huge can of worms regarding all those millions of $450/$500 REAL GENUINE L3 E0Techs that took a dump which won't hold zero during temp variations (like being over +10MOA off transitioning from one hot day to a chilly night) and L3 admitted in court that their optics were deliberately and intentionally not produced to quality specifications (and all the other shady stuff L3 pulled on us). L3 has been trying to buy them back cuz many of them are shit. Pretty soon they are going to run out of money paying MSRP CASH to owners who want L3 to buy back several million EoTech sights from their .MIL, .GOV, LEO and civilian owners. Those who haven't already jumped on the payout bandwagon are going to take it in the rear with out lube.

Have fun folks.

Boy this old thread can only open up a huge can of worms regarding all those millions of $450/$500 REAL GENUINE L3 E0Techs that took a dump which won't hold zero during temp variations (like being over +10MOA off transitioning from one hot day to a chilly night) and L3 admitted in court that their optics were deliberately and intentionally not produced to quality specifications (and all the other shady stuff L3 pulled on us). L3 has been trying to buy them back cuz many of them are shit. Pretty soon they are going to run out of money paying MSRP CASH to owners who want L3 to buy back several million EoTech sights from their .MIL, .GOV, LEO and civilian owners. Those who haven't already jumped on the payout bandwagon are going to take it in the rear with out lube.

Have fun folks.
Wait, What? I've apparently missed sonething. I don't own any, but something that big would be a headline in the firearms community.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

While I dont see it as the "sky falling", I have mine in the process because I dont want to take the chance later down the road I guess

That being said it wouldn't hurt my feelings to keep it.

I have had mine shooting in 100+ degrees and it shot fine.

Took that very same sight in below 20 degrees and shot Extra Gum containers filled with Tannerite at 100 yards with no issues.......we were even taking small coffee cans filled with Tannerite , rolling them up in huge waist high snow balls and blowing them up.....no issues with the sight in any way and its never been touched from initial zero

that was all before I heard about the issues. I was under the impression that I wasn't in an extreme enough temperature swing area to bring out the POA/POI shift.

really bummed me out because IMO, and for me, the EoTech is a far superior unit to the tube style electronic sights

Same here.

I've been running three of them for years in all the weather TN can provide with no issues...

Back