• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thread Protector Caps/muzzle break

helmutschlitz

Copper BB
I need a thread protector cap for my ATV 30.06. I want to remove my muzzle break and can't find any caps online. Anyone know where I can find one?

I made a mistake, its' actually by 4x4 but it may have the same thread size. I don't know the thread size yet because they glued the muzzle break on so well I can't remove it. Scouring posts for advice on getting it off without damaging the barrel. thanks for the link.

Only thing I would suggest is to secure the barrel in a padded vise and apply heat to the muzzle brake. If Mossberg used a locking compound on the threads the heat should help loosen the bond...

Mine won't come off either, however, I agree with LES. Apply a small amount of heat to the break and it should melt the locktite or whatever they used.

I put two allen keys through the holes in the brake then slid a car jack handle over the exposed ends of the allen keys. Used the car jack handle as a breaker bar and it came off easily. You just need some leverage.

5/8"OD - 1/2"x28tpi RH
Smooth
1/2" Long
Without Set Screw
Black Matte Finish

The only issue is that the black matte finish is a shade off the bluing. Not really noticeable though. The seller had a blue finish but I don't think that would have been much closer.

gyotar said:
5/8"OD - 1/2"x28tpi RH
Smooth
1/2" Long
Without Set Screw
Black Matte Finish

Those are two different sizes.

And very unlikely that it would be 1/2-28. That would be very thin wall (barrel) at the muzzle.

I don't care what your opinion is. That's what I ordered for my 30-06 4x4 and it fits perfectly. You think I just made up the numbers? Try learning to read written dimensions.

helmutschlitz, I emailed Mossberg directly and asked what the thread pitch is for the 30-06 4x4 to eliminate any further confusion or misidentification. If/when they respond, I will paste it to the topic.

gyotar said:
5/8"OD - 1/2"x28tpi RH
Smooth
1/2" Long

gyotar said:
I don't care what your opinion is. That's what I ordered for my 30-06 4x4 and it fits perfectly. You think I just made up the numbers? Try learning to read written dimensions.

gyotar, completely without getting into specifics about major and minor diameters associated with barrel threading, 1/2 and 5/8 are two entirely different diameters. That's exactly what I said.

You're disputing that?

Try threading a 5/8 inch nut onto a 1/2 inch bolt.

Or even yet, try threading a 1/2 inch nut onto a 5/8 inch bolt.

Not going to happen.

If Mossberg used an oddball 1/2-28 thread pitch on a 30 caliber bore, while physically possible to do, would not make very good sense. Industry standards dictate otherwise for that caliber.

It would be much easier for them to thread the barrel to industry standards so they can simply purchase a 30 caliber flash hider or muzzlebrake over the counter rather than have to perform extra machining to an AR15 flashider to get it to work safely on the gun.

1/2-28 muzzle devices (AR15) available for purchase will be too tightly constricted in the bore for a 30 caliber bullet to safely pass through. They're made for .223 and are only marginally overbored.

Don't believe me? If you did happen to thread an off the shelf AR15 (1/2-28) flash hider onto a 30-06, I will all but guarantee that you'll wish that you hadn't as soon as you pull the trigger.

While I am at it, I'm perfectly capable of reading dimensions, thanks. Try learning how to determine and write them.

I don't see where he said that 5/8" was the dimension of the threads. If he'd said 1/2" minor and 5/8" major for the threads, that would be way out there. It was pretty obvious to me that 5/8" was the outside diameter of the brake/cap and the threads on the barrel are 1/2" and 28tpi pitch.

I do agree that Mossberg should have used a 5/8" thread for the brake, but they didn't. I'm quite sure it was easier for them to just have a bunch of 1/2" thread brakes made with the larger center hole than to order a heavier profile barrel to accomodate the larger threads which are normally used for larger than .22 caliber guns.

Just to go on record, I received a reply today from a mossberg rep concerning the thread pitch.

Feb 2

I am writing to ask what thread pitch you use for the the muzzle of a 30-06 4x4? I assume 5/8-24, but need verification.

Thanks,

John A.

February 15

This would be ¾-16.

Thanks

Roger Montalvo
Product Service & Tech Support Rep

O. F. Mossberg & Sons
Maverick Arms, Inc.
Authorized Service Center
1001 Industrial Blvd
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
1-800-363-3555, Ext 531
1-830-773-5893 Fax

Really? 3/4-16??

Couldn't make it easy could they... is that even a regularly, commercially, available size?? haha

Nope. First time I have ever heard of it.

3/4-10 thread was pretty common back in the day for Mac-11's.

But I have never heard of 3/4-16 barrel thread pitch, nor have I heard of 3/4-10 on anything besides an M11 either.

huh.. I didn't think it was common.
Kind of glad mine isn't threaded... I bet it is a horrible PITA to find a muzzle brake for that pitch

Hope This Helps I have been a Gunsmith for 40 Years and I bought a Mossberg 7.62X39 barrel and that bad boy was threaded 1/2 x 28 I had to look twice When I seen it DD

I have an AK that was threaded 1/2-28 also, though it wasn't a Mossberg barrel. It was supposed to have been manufactured by steyr, and cold hammer forged and chrome lined to boot.

...I bought a Mossberg 7.62X39 barrel...

Whoa... say this again... Mossberg 7.62x39??? Does this go onto the 4x4 action??
Or did you buy a x39 barrel and thread it for the 4x4 action? Being a gunsmith you have a vast amount experience I wish I had lol

There's no way it's a 3/4-16 thread. The barrel simply isn't large enough diameter at the muzzle to support that. It's not quite big enough for 5/8-24. I'm pretty sure all the Mossberg 4x4 brakes, no matter what caliber, are 1/2-28 thread.

Back