• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Today I wanted to hear a boom and all I heard was a "click"....

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I keep a Maverick 88 very close by for defending my dogs and farm animals against marauders. Coyotes, wild dogs, feral cats, even skunks. Sometimes I just use it to scare them away. Sometimes I need to kill one or sting one real good.

Today I had to grab the shotgun which I load with 2-3/4 1-1/2 oz #4s and racked the first shell in. And when I pulled the trigger all I got was a dud.

Good primer strike. Racked that one out and the next two shells worked as advertised. I don't remember having a dud in years and years.

I guess that is better than wanting to hear a click and hearing a BOOM instead. :)

Last edited:
It's pretty rare for anyone that stores their ammo properly, but sometimes that still happens.

In similar news, I found out the ejector spring on my old 16 gauge single shot is weak and while it's pulling shells out, many of them are not actually ejecting out of the chamber.

Strangely enough, loaded shells will clear the chamber about 2 inches and completely eject. Barely.

Shells that have have been fired are coming out about half way and stopping, like it has an extractor, but no ejector.

I found a replacement though. Costs more than I like. Almost $15 with shipping for a spring sucks. But, I gotta fix it.

Back