• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Too good to be true semi auto 12 gauge?

Tom396

.30-06
I just ordered this thing because...well...I just couldn't stand not to.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128627&utm_source=KyGunCo%20Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Gun%20Love

Emperor Arms MX5 Combo. 12 gauge semi auto, includes a light, 2 chokes, sling swivels, and a buttstock shell holder.

Since I used a credit card instead of cash, it came in at $225.33. My FFL is going to charge me $25 for the transfer.

This can't be real. LOL. It's gotta FTE everything I try to run in it. Heck, that is what it costs for many economy versions of pump action guns with none of those extras included. I'll let you know if I got lucky or not. Take care. Tom Worthington

I don't think I understand this:

Muzzle Brake as Interchangeable Choke + 1 Regular Choke Tube

Is it a fixed choke barrel with threads to mount the muzzlebrake thing? Or does the muzzle brake screw into threads that allow using interchangeable screw in chokes?

If the latter, which chokes do you use? There are many different kinds.

With that said, looks like it's made in Turkey, so it has that going for it. http://www.emperorfirearms.com/about-us.php
ISO9001, 1 year full warranty-10 years parts

chromed barrel (I really like that for ease of cleaning)

I currently own 4 Turkish made guns. They are very good quality. And very shootable. They get used a lot.

My semi shotgun was made in turkey though apparently a different manufacturer, and after cutting a little off the action spring coil now cycles low brass shells (my gun was chambered in 3-1/2, so that's why the need to trim a little off the spring to get it to cycle the low brass the original spring was just too strong for the low brass stuff.)

I bought a new spring in case I ever got a wild hair and actually did have a need to shoot 3-1/2"-not that I ever think I would. The gun only see's high and low brass 2-3/4's. It eats them all like candy now.

My semi is probably the softest shooting 12 that I own. It's a joy and pleasure to shoot.

Anyway, I look forward to you getting it and see how it does.

I don't think I understand this:

Muzzle Brake as Interchangeable Choke + 1 Regular Choke Tube

Is it a fixed choke barrel with threads to mount the muzzlebrake thing? Or does the muzzle brake screw into threads that allow using interchangeable screw in chokes?

If the latter, which chokes do you use? There are many different kinds.

With that said, looks like it's made in Turkey, so it has that going for it. http://www.emperorfirearms.com/about-us.php
ISO9001, 1 year full warranty-10 years parts

chromed barrel (I really like that for ease of cleaning)

I currently own 4 Turkish made guns. They are very good quality. And very shootable. They get used a lot.

My semi shotgun was made in turkey though apparently a different manufacturer, and after cutting a little off the action spring coil now cycles low brass shells (my gun was chambered in 3-1/2, so that's why the need to trim a little off the spring to get it to cycle the low brass the original spring was just too strong for the low brass stuff.)

I bought a new spring in case I ever got a wild hair and actually did have a need to shoot 3-1/2"-not that I ever think I would. The gun only see's high and low brass 2-3/4's. It eats them all like candy now.

My semi is probably the softest shooting 12 that I own. It's a joy and pleasure to shoot.

Anyway, I look forward to you getting it and see how it does.

I read that to mean I could remove the muzzle brake and replace it with a normal choke. Maybe that is just wishful thinking. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

You get it yet?

Yes, I'm impatient and living vicariously through you right now. LOL

When you do get it, I have a few more questions.

Also, not sure if you have seen this or not. ;)

You get it yet?

Yes, I'm impatient and living vicariously through you right now. LOL

When you do get it, I have a few more questions.

Also, not sure if you have seen this or not. ;)

No. In fact, I don't think KyGunco has even shipped it yet. :( When I made my order (Saturday morning) the sales rep said it would be 3 to 5 business days before they shipped, so I guess I just need to sit on my hands some more.

I had seen that video. I have been scouring the net for more info on this shotgun, but it is pretty scarce! I bought a box of 3" #2 shot shells specifically for the run in. I have some 3" #1 buck shells to use, as well. I figure I will get progressively less...um...snappy, as I break it in. Take care. Tom Worthington

My semi is the mildest shooting shotgun that I have.

Granted that I don't use a lot of high brass anyway.

I think the spring helps a lot. As does bleeding some of the gas off to push the piston thing-a-ma-jig.

On a side note, my semi, you have to press the action release button to load or unload the gun.

While I would understand having to push the button in to unload it and as a bolt release when it's locked back like on an AR, it's annoying to have to hold the button in while loading the mag tube. That drives me bonkers. Especially since my hunting regs say I can only have 2+1 and I have to use the plug.

I'm curious if yours is that way too. If not, I may would think about picking one of those up for 3 gun.

My fingers are crossed that this will be very soft shooter. I would really like to get my wife to use a long gun (and even better if it's a shotgun) for home defense. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have got to be dreaming. Update: The shotgun has shipped and should arrive at my FFL by Saturday. But here is where it gets even MORE amazing. A credit from Kentucky Gun Company showed up on my credit card of $41.45. It immediately worried me. I thought maybe they had substituted a cheaper product, or something like that. So I called Kygunco. They said they had a price drop on the shotgun prior to shipping and so they passed the savings on to me! So now, I am getting that semi auto 12 gauge shotgun with the light and the shell carrier for $183.88! That includes a $6.56 charge for not paying with cash. Amazing. At this point, if something other than an empty box shows up, I figure I got an incredible deal. Take care. Tom Worthington

You are making it harder to resist.

I've only bought from KYgunco once, but it was positive.

Sounds like they did you right. They could've stuck the extra in their pocket and kept it. But this makes me a lot more apt to do more business with them in the future. Despite having to pay state sales tax.

Now, looking even more forward to a range report and review.

If I can swing it, one of these may be in my future if it's what I'm looking for.

https://www.kygunco.com/home/faq

Will we ship to California?

We will ship to California, New York, Massachusetts and New Jersey according to each states Local Firearm Guidelines and Laws. Please contact your local dealer to find out what is and is not legal in your state.

:) Take care. Tom Worthington

I picked it up this morning. The box wasn't empty. :) In deference to my neighbors, I am not going to fire it this morning.

Some things I have noted, so far. The bolt release is well forward on the receiver. You would not be able to keep your hand near the trigger guard to operate it. I suppose you could use your left hand. Not a big deal to me, but I thought someone might like to know. The front sight is basically a raised blade. No shield or ghost ring. Again, fine by me. The flashlight that comes with it is a nice one. Three modes of operation: Low/high/strobe. That was a very pleasant surprise. The shell holder is made by Allen. Again, a pleasant surprise. It comes with two "chokes", although one of those chokes is actually that muzzle brake. It ships with the conventional choke already installed and I suspect I'll never install that muzzle brake. When installed, the conventional choke does not extend past the end of the barrel. The conventional choke does not appear to be a cylinder bore. It has four notches on the top, so I'll have to look up which one that means it is. The choke threads are the same as the ones on my Stoeger Uplander (double barrel). However, they are not the same chokes. The Emperor choke extends well down into the bore. I'll have to figure out who else uses the same style choke tubes. Although there is a lot of plastic on the gun, it still has a good bit of weight to it. This may turn out to be a positive, since I want to get the wife behind it.

One significant negative, at least to me. No instructions whatsoever. Not a single shred of paper. Could make disassembly for cleaning a real adventure.

Overall, I still cannot believe what a bargain this thing is. Even if it turns out it will not fire, it is worth it just for the novelty. LOL. Take care. Tom Worthington

Initial "range" report. Bear in mind, I live a charmed life, I was apparently born with a horseshoe up my butt. Your results may not be as good as mine.

First, I loaded up some 3" #2 shot (not buck) rounds to insure the thing would cycle...and it definitely cycled. I was a little worried, though, because they worked on my shoulder pretty good too. After about 20 of those, I loaded up 5 2.75" slugs. Still cycled great. Then I got a wild hair. I just had to try some 2.75" #8 birdshot. To my complete surprise, those cycled great too! The last 5 of those I pulled the trigger as fast as I could and still couldn't get a malfunction. In all, I shot 25 3" shells, 5 slugs, and 10 #8 birdshot shells. The #8 shells definitely did feel pretty soft, after the others. ;) As I went to pick up my empties, the pink birdshot shells were right where they usually fall when I shoot a pump action. However, I didn't even collect all the 3" empties because they were tossed over into the next county! I need to put on my coveralls and hiking boots to retrieve those empties from the briar patch.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I actually figured I might never be able to get the low power birdshot rounds to cycle, but it isn't even properly broken in yet, and they run just fine. Now to see if I can figure out how to clean it. :( Take care. Tom Worthington

I just looked and 4 lines on a choke should equal to a skeet/modified

http://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/choke-tube-identification.html

That makes the shortest barreled version more appealing to me that it takes interchangeable screw in chokes. Do you have any other brands you can compare the threads to? Or maybe a photo so we can try to find out which style chokes it uses? I'm sure between one of us here, we could probably nail it down.

Coincidentally, my Turkish made O/U came with Beretta/Benelli style chokes. While the chokes are long on it, the threads are way up near the muzzle. Unlike the Winchester/Mossberg and Remington style which the threads are nearer the back end of the choke tubes.

I know that you mentioned the location of the bolt release. Can you load the mag without holding in the bolt release? My CD has to have the bolt release button pushed to load each individual shell. That is the main reason I would never want to use it for anything besides hunting.

But going back to yours, what all is plastic besides the furniture?

John A. : The choke looks a LOT like these Beretta chokes
JCOCN13_18.jpg
The only other 12 gauge chokes I have are those ones for my Stoeger Uplander. I miscounted the marks (I guess I was too excited, like a kid on Christmas morning). It has five marks, not 4. As far as loading, as long as the bolt is forward, I can load it without pressing the bolt release. However, if the bolt is open, yes I have to press the release to get shells in the magazine. Come to think of it, I guess the furniture is the only thing made of plastic.

LTB45: I was able to get the barrel off, relatively easy. At that point, I lost my nerve for taking it farther apart. I see a pin, like the one Mossberg uses to hold their trigger group up into place. That will be my next new frontier, maybe after a couple of drinks for courage.

CaddmannQ: Ain't happening. My internet and other 20 century technology savvy is sorely lacking. I'd be better off trying to mail you a polaroid picture. Seriously. I am the only person I know who has neither sent nor received a single text in their life. Take care. Tom Worthington

OK, this site says 5 notches = cylinder choke.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/which-choke-is-which.19011/

I haven't sent or received texts either so you are not alone. But I do know how to mail a letter. ;)

Anyway, the Beretta/Benelli chokes are the same that my O/U uses. Ironically, my CD Turkish semi uses a rem-choke believe it or not. If you have a set of calipers and want to take some detailed measurements we could probably say for certain with little guess work.

I don't know if you had planned on hunting with it, but I'd buy a full choke for it anyway. Never know when you may need to use it for that role. Coyotes fighting with your dog in the back yard, foxes in the hen house, etc.

Thanks for letting me know that it can be loaded without pushing that button. That seriously drives me crazy on mine. It's the only thing that I don't like about it. I even thought about putting a little wedge behind the lever arm on mine to deactivate it and I know that it wouldn't ever lock back again, but I was afraid that it would bend something and destroy it. I don't have to press the button very much to bypass it.

I guess you can see my hesitation trying though.

Back