• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Too good to be true semi auto 12 gauge?

Well within reason there . . . . you don't want excess crud build up to cause wear on the gun.

Unless of course you're going for the destruction test.

Well I am sort of out of the gun business right now. I promised myself that I would not do anything particular until we got our kitchen remodeling well in hand.

I would really like to own an inexpensive semi-auto shotgun and this looks like the one.

Fouling until you get a stoppage isn't going to destroy it. If anything, it helps you determine a lot of intricate things about the gun that you would never know any other way than by shooting the dickens out of it, and gives you an idea how you can realistically expect it to perform.

I wasn't looking for another autoloader at all, but I recognize an unusually good deal when I see one (or whenTom396 points it out to me LOL) and why I chose to get this one especially since it has the features that I like.

Historically, I have found that Turkish made guns are really good quality. Two of my all time favorite handguns of all time are made there. My other semi is really good. Despite I don't like having to push the button to load it. The gun itself shoots better than any other I have in regards to patterning, and the camo that was applied is better than any other that I have seen either. And better than anything I was able to do myself, and I did a lot of it commercially.

I guess that I'll take one for the team then. I'm not skeered.

Just got the gun, cleaned a bunch of oil off of it. They were not greedy with it either. No owners manual to be found anywhere. So, I called the importer and they emailed me one immediately. But it is painfully obvious that it was written by someone that is apparent that English is not their native language. And probably why they are not included in the box.

I noticed, that the gun is well thought out in some ways that I wasn't expecting.

A lot of chrome in places that should be chromed.

Inside the barrel.

All around under the handguard around the mag tube and the slide rails and the barrel ports the gas to work the action. That is very welcome. Especially when I end up cleaning it.

Should be good for anyone who uses the gun in the real world too where it rains and there is humidity.

phSOZuJ.jpg

I was curious if the only thing holding the barrel in place was the plastic handguard and the magazine nut.

Yes and no. But there is a steel insert that helps relieve some of the tension on the handguard.

c8TAH9i.jpg

Looking at the bolt, it has 1 extractor. And doesn't appear to be a MIM part either.

gWPUBn4.jpg

The follower is plastic. I think that I'll likely make an aluminum one for it on my lathe.

Trigger guard/housing is also plastic. Internals look to be all metal. Hammer is also chromed.

Magazine cap is aluminum. Probably to cut down on weight. This gun is not very heavy at all. Somewhere in the lower 6 pound range.

I tried some of my benelli/beretta chokes and the threads were different and wouldn't thread all the way in.

The factory chokes thread in no problems.

I looked at the box and the sticker has the Mobile choke listed on mine. I'm waiting to hear from carlsons about the chokes that I have because apparently, something isn't right. Probably my memory because those chokes I have may not be for the mobil? I'll update when I get word

OK, I'm going to call the importer tomorrow.

Again.

I wasn't as crazy as I thought. I do have the mobil chokes.

And this gun, is not that.

Here is a copy of the email I got back from Carlson.

Since you can't see the choke photo in the copy of the email, here's what I'm seeing.

The choke on the left is the factory choke and the choke on the right is a Carlson Mobil choke.
F7casTM.jpg

----------------
The choke in the picture is NOT a Benelli mobil style. All mobil style chokes have the threads running all the way to the top of the choke. So your gun will NOT accept Benelli Style choke tubes if this came out of your barrel. This choke appears to be a Franchi (Fran Choke). Hard to tell without having it to measure dimensions off of but it sure look like one. We do make Fran chokes but without knowing the dimensions of the choke I am guessing.
----------------

OK, with that out of the way, the plastic follower is gone. Made a new one from Aluminum, just because I could.

SMytBX1.jpg

And after I painted the face of it sunburst yellow and got it in the gun.

33tAE9J.jpg

And while I don't have any intentions of doing it right now, I checked and it will accept a Rem 870 +3 mag extension, however there is a slight gap. One guy on youtube cut the mag tube to eliminate the gap.

I opted to go a, well, let's just say a less intrusive way.

I made a little aluminum shim. If I ever put the extension on, I would paint it flat black to match the gun. But that would be later on down the road, if ever.

hNpelUQ.jpg

The front sight blade is a little canted.

But apparently, in a good way.

This is my first shot. One of my slug reloads. 20 yards. The target said it was with an improved cylinder choke, but since the mobil chokes don't fit, I could only use the cylinder choke that it came with today.

sUwfGPq.jpg

I am also considering drilling a small hole through the front sight blade and modding it for a fiber optic sight if I have enough clearance and room to do it. But that will be another day.

@Trevorb, if you haven't heard from them, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to make sure they have gotten your local FFL's license info. Or to make sure they can match it up with the order info.

I got the shipping email notification a couple of minutes ago.

As expected, I should get it sometime next week. Considering I'm so close, probably Monday if it actually goes out today and if not will certainly not be before Tuesday before I see it, but I'm only about 2 hours drive south of them so it shouldn't be too bad.
Unfortunately still no shipping confirmation. I called them Thur and the women told me they did not know why it had not been shipped and that they would try and get it out that day. I called again yesterday, Mon and got the same reply. That they would try to get it out that day. Getting a little frustrated but what can I do know, without paying the 10% cancellation fee. Just wait I guess.

That's a bummer. Hopefully they can resolve whatever the issue is quickly.

I took a few minutes with a file and a drill and put a green fiber optic dot on the front blade post. Turned out pretty decent I think.

LORIMhy.jpg

I'm hoping to finally solve the question of what style choke it uses today. I emailed Carlsons the specs of the choke last night to try to determine for certain what it is so I can buy a couple of chokes for it for hunting.

Or, if that doesn't work, try to buy a few from the importer (which I am doubting). I may have to resort to cutting 2 inches off the barrel and renting a reamer and thread tool and do my own.

I would so much prefer to just be able to buy a full and modified choke and call it good.

The biggest hurtle has been crossed! The wife tried the shotgun out today. Combined, we fired 45 rounds. When we finished, she was surprised to hear we had fired that many. 15 pellet #1 buckshot, 8 pellet 00 buckshot, 9 pellet 00 buckshot, and 25 bird shot rounds. She said she had no shoulder pain afterwards. As it stands, it appears that this new, incredibly inexpensive firearm is about to become her go-to firearm for home defense. :D Take care. Tom Worthington

I didn't think she would have a problem with it.

I'm glad that it worked out for you guys. I know that was the intention all along was a gun that she could use.

Unfortunately still no shipping confirmation. I called them Thur and the women told me they did not know why it had not been shipped and that they would try and get it out that day. I called again yesterday, Mon and got the same reply. That they would try to get it out that day. Getting a little frustrated but what can I do know, without paying the 10% cancellation fee. Just wait I guess.

Anymore news? Take care. Tom Worthington

I wanted to blow off some steam and took the gun back up to the range. Despite the rain.

Gun didn't seem to mind it either. Kept right on chugging along.

I admit, seeing the blue smoke coming out and the barrel getting heated up good enough to flash steam the raindrops off that hit it, was a welcome sight.

FPiKOHq.jpg

Well my Maverick 88 finally shipped, expected delivery 3/5. After a cpl calls and two weeks later. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Glad it worked out. Looking forward to seeing how you like the gun and seeing a topic about it.

Straight black just isn't working for me.

I decided to dress it up a little. This one a rattle can spongejob. I tried to loosely mimick my favorite hunting camo. NaturalGear.

colors used were satin nutmeg rustoleum for the base coat, brown boots krylon for the orangish accents and the streaks are satin expresso rustoleum and all of that is underneath of matte clear rustoleum.

85s5s1u.jpg

MneF3j0.jpg

GvTBNuq.jpg

Hint: bottom right

Forgot to mention, that's 4 boxes through the gun without cleaning now.

And I just noticed kygunco now shows them OUT OF STOCK.

Not saying that it isn't a bad deal, but my middle son recently bought an HR Pardner pump from our local walmart.

Yes, it's made in china. Probably by Norinco.

But it's essentially a loose copy of the 870.

Funny considering that Remington owns H&R. I guess that's about like Mossberg using the maverick 88 from mexico.:confused:

I helped put a magpul handguard on it, and we had to file out some of the magpul interior area to accommodate the slightly larger handguard tube, but he seems to like it really well.

Even the 870 receiver mount shell carrier fit without an issue.

For under $150, wasn't a bad deal either if you're in the market for another pump.

Back