• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Traditional Bow: Pics and Discussion

Awesome!! Congrats!!

My score today. Five vintage recurves. 1 Damon Howatt, 2 Ben Pearsons, 1 Darton, 1 Archery Engineering Co.
The last one, Archery Engineering Co., interests me the most. Far right bow in pics

Last edited:
Very nice score!!

I'm diggin the Damon Howatt.

It's a DH Monterey. Has some sort of sight/scope deal on it. I'm going to remove it.
I've got to spend some time cleaning these up.

Sold off 4 of the bows I scored. Decided to keep the Archery Engineering "The Master" bow. The AE bow is actually a Tice & Watts bow. They changed the name in early 1970.
It's a rare piece so I decided to keep it and sell my Howatt Triumph target bow.
Archery Engineering/Tice & Watts The Master

Last edited:
Nice bows guys.
I have an ILF Tradtech Pinnacle 2 19" riser with 55# Black Max recurve long limbs and 65# Tradtech longbow limbs.
I shoot Pile Driver Hunter 450's with 100gr brass inserts and 200gr tips, just in case, ha.

My pops got me started around 6 years ago. After shooting the rubber deer literally in half with his gear (same riser with medium Tradtech recurve 45# limbs) it was time to get my own bow.

Sad thing is I haven't done anything with it yet... No food, no competitions, just group therapy. I honestly believe it has helped keep me sane through.

IMG_20160813_133720-1024x1365.jpg

Last edited:
What are your guys' methods of shooting? Have they changed over time?
My experience has been interesting so far.

Right out of the gate, my pops taught me to shoot by string walking... so that's what I did. I came to like it and became good at it. Eventually I came to try the other methods but always went back because it was what I knew.
Pro's
-Good for distance.
Con's
-Didn't like the noise at distances of 20 yards and under. (20 yards would require an inch crawl).
-Potentially slower acquisition. 5-7 yards would be a 4" crawl for me. Ya, I can do it pretty fast, but, what else is on the menu?

Last spring I brought home a 68" 30# rattan longbow, with underspined arrows (doh!) My style of shooting I had developed... over years of practice... out the window! Haha it was NOT happening with this bow. So I had to switch styles.

Split finger instinctive was weird to learn, kind of like being 8 again lol, spittin' and chuckin' rocks, figuring out the projectile laws of the world, in a more simple manner.
Pro's
Quiet! All the time!
-A potentially faster acquisition (no crawling).
Con's
-I was gonna say the practice required to acquire the skill, but, really that's half the fun! :)

I have found learning instinctive to be both challenging and rewarding, and on that note, I believe a session is in order :)

Last edited:
I used differing methods of gap and string walking depending on the bow.

Here is a pic of three of my bows. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the Kodiak Mag and the Bear TD later to day. The three bows are the Bear Montana, Bama, and Hummingbird.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 9
My wife ordered me a Bear Grizzly recurve and am looking forward to learning to shoot it. As Camel73 stated, it's more for therapy than anything else.
MikeD has already given me some advice and I am sure I will be needing more.
This is a Christmas present from my wife, so the next two weeks will be long ones. I'm feeling like a kid again.
Saltmarsh, I love the pictures of you and the boys shooting bows. That is quality time!

When you say wax do you mean the wood has a wax coating on it?

If so then you might have a hard time staining it as the wax will act as a barrier and you will end up with undesireable results.

Otherwise I would just use any regular wood stain..

I really don't know.

@ripjack13 or @CaddmannQ do you have an answer to this?

You two do a lot more woodworkjng than I do.

Back