• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Traditional Bow: Pics and Discussion

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Traditional Bows? Is there a particular style you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

Re: Long Bow: Pics and Discussion

I'll kick it off. I own and shoot all types of bows. I like all aspects of archery so I just can't commit to one style or type of equipment. Each type of bows brings different advantages and disadvantages to the table. Of the many bows I own and have owned, this is the only longbow I have kept. It's a Horne's Brush Bow 58" 51#@28". The veneers are Red Cedar, and the main wood is Curly Maple.

This bow was originally owned by a friend (whom is sadly no longer with us) that I had shared a trad bow bear camp in Canada with several years ago. It has passed hands a few times but when it ended up in mine I knew it was the one for me. I've shot and owned a few but this is the one that feels right. Anyone that shoots knows that feeling.

Gear.jpg

Re: Longbow: Pics and Discussion

Very nice Mike!

You have any shots of the vaneers? That red cedar has to be gorgeous...

That's the best shot I have of it right now. Oddly I don't have many pics of my bows. I'll try to get better pics up shortly.

The pic is great.

I just have a weak spot for red cedar and rosewood... :D

I took several pictures of some of my bows last night but somehow, between home and work today I lost my SD card. :x :x :x

I went back to the stops I made this morning and no one had found it and turned it in. I re-shot the pics tonight and will upload them tomorrow when I get to my card reader.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The pic is great.

I just have a weak spot for red cedar and rosewood... :D

Here ya go....

Bows_005.jpg

Bows_004.jpg

Bows_002.jpg

Bows_006.jpg

Bows_001.jpg

The Bow Rack

While I love the longbow I also love the recurves. Here is the one I hunted with this season.

It's a Quinn Stallion. The antler bolts were made by somone I met on another archery forum. While I can shoot without the sights, after so many years of shooting compounds my brain just seems to like having something out there so I use a ghost ring type sight. It's not a tru pin but it makes me feel more confident esp when hunting.

Bows_007.jpg

Bows_011.jpg

Bows_012.jpg

Bows_013.jpg

Bows_014.jpg

I still have the Quicki quiver attachment on the side but I no longer use that quiver. I like the feel of the bow without the added weight. I like to shoot my recurves off of a rest. I like the way the arrow flies.

I've been in debates for a long time on various forums about whether or not the sight and rest are "traditional". After much soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I don't care. Sights were used long before compounds and so were rests. I don't shoot competition with bow so classification matters not. I just enjoy shooting and this setup makes me happy. When I need to make quick shots at off angles for small game hunting or something I'll go to the longbow or one of the other recurves that I can shoot off of the shelf. It's all good.

HOLY MOTHER!

Those are some GREAT lookin bows Mike! That red cedar is freakin gorgeous. Those antler bolts on your recurve look amazing too.

...am jealous... :twisted:

Sarrel's Blueridge Longbow 62" 53#@28

Birdseye maple limbs with a bamboo core and a Chechen riser.
photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

I also have Zebra wood recurve limbs for the riser. Here they are before shaping.
IMG_0070.jpg

And on the riser
2011-06-10192743.jpg

Good looking bow. Did you make your own recurve limbs? I really like the look of the zebra wood.

Thanks to MikeD I'm back in the game. Here's my new PSE Sable...

My local range has an archery section with a two tier shooting deck and I'll be heading out with it tomorrow.

Thanks again Mike!

Nice pics LES!

:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Back