• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tried Trap this week... man I suck

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Went and did 6 games of trap this week.

Really humbling. I figured it would be easier than skeet but I actually had a harder time with it.

Averaged about 9 clays a game with one game at 13 clays.

Still had fun... nice to know there's a game that can really whip my butt!!

The first time I shot trap I hit 18-20. I must have been really lucky, I'm not sure I've broken 10 since. I find it much much harder than skeet, to the point where I don't even try it any more.

Out trap fields are closed due to some questionable shooting practices by the trap shooters. Drinking and shooting, shooting from the parking lot and/or road, etc...

Trap is very challenging. I think it's the speed and unpredictability. There are lots of tricks like where to aim before the pull. I also have found the less up/down movement I can make the better. There is a timing element that is much more important than in skeet. I started in high teens and have moved to low 20's. Still chasing that glorious perfect 25. Good luck to you and check out some YouTube videos, there actually is some good tips.

The new gun club has trap and skeet. I'm planning on wading back into both (been 2 seasons with no practice) to tune up for 3-gun and straight up for the sport. I have to train on the equipment b4 getting a key to run my own sessions. I've got a box of pigeons and plenty of ammo to get started - more as I settle in. I think the 930 with Williams sights should do 'fine' - had clays in multi gun but not 25 in a row with this gun yet. I hope for a range report soon!

I just started shooting shotgun this year, due to the ever present 9mm ammo shortage.

I try to shoot every Tuesday at a DNR range in Huntington, In..You get 27 birds for $5..Trap or Skeet, which isn't too salty.

My problem is not having a gun that fits. My cheek and shoulder look like I've gone 15 rounds with Joe Louis. I've got a 535 that shoots straighter than my 835, both in 12, they both beat me to death. I've never had a rifle with this much recoil. I just changed out the thumb hole stock on the 535 Turkey and installed a standard?? stock with a "Beartooth riser pad. Will find out tomorrow if it worked.

NYmossyMike makes a good statement about youtube tips. There a lot of good ones and a lot you don't want to take too seriously.

Shooting Trap....Never heard of this :shock:
:lol: :lol:
Welcome to the game that looks simple yet is SO hard to master :cool:

A proper gun fit and mount will stop all the bruising on the shoulder and face.

The range I go to has a practice trap field which is pretty cool for the beginner. The machine is adjustable so the RO can tell you which direction it is coming out of the house and give you the same shot over and over until you get the form down. Take the randomness away and you feel like a pro.

joe74 said:
I just started shooting shotgun this year, due to the ever present 9mm ammo shortage.

I try to shoot every Tuesday at a DNR range in Huntington, In..You get 27 birds for $5..Trap or Skeet, which isn't too salty.

My problem is not having a gun that fits. My cheek and shoulder look like I've gone 15 rounds with Joe Louis. I've got a 535 that shoots straighter than my 835, both in 12, they both beat me to death. I've never had a rifle with this much recoil. I just changed out the thumb hole stock on the 535 Turkey and installed a standard?? stock with a "Beartooth riser pad. Will find out tomorrow if it worked.

NYmossyMike makes a good statement about youtube tips. There a lot of good ones and a lot you don't want to take too seriously.
My Mossberg 500 Combo beat me to death the first time out. Ends up it has the same wooden stock as the "turkey gun" so my local Sports Store stocked a "Limbsaver Recoil Pad" which replaced the stock pad. This one change allows me to shoot 2 rounds of skeet with our Tuesday night league w/o even a hint of bruising. You might want to give one a try.

Trap is a blast to shoot but it is very difficult to master...I have gotten to the point where I can hit 20-22 a round but there are still days that I hit 10-15 lol.

joe74 said:

Wow, you shoot trap with a rifle? Must be pretty good... :lol: :lol: :lol: j/k

BradZChef said:
My Mossberg 500 Combo beat me to death the first time out. Ends up it has the same wooden stock as the "turkey gun" so my local Sports Store stocked a "Limbsaver Recoil Pad" which replaced the stock pad. This one change allows me to shoot 2 rounds of skeet with our Tuesday night league w/o even a hint of bruising. You might want to give one a try.

Limbsavers help a great deal. I know my 500 hurt a bit running 3-gun after 16-20 consecutive rds but an LS definitely helped in that area. Put one on each of my other SG's.

Joe, shoot the target loads ....all day clay if you do. We used to have tourny's for prizes in the community when I was a kid....all the kids would compete for turkey's they would give as prizes aound all the hollidays.......use target loads and you should be good to go for many rounds.

Ditto. I've been using target loads but then was handed specialty skeet loads that were far lighter. Not sure all autos will cycle them though. Shot 4-5 thru my dad's Light 12 and they worked fine.

I shoot trap with these through my mav88 with 28" modified choke and they are very good. $28 for a box of 100 at Dick's, doesn't break the bank too bad either.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369926845.659867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369926845.659867.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 206
Back