• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trigger Group for AR

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Been looking for a replacement trigger group for an M4. I see that Timney and Geissele are high reviewed but are currently our of my price range (what isn't these days?). What other recommendations are there?

The gun runs perfectly with one exception...the trigger. Two words describe it...long and jerky. I could probably take the time to clean up the jerky portion but not the long travel feeling. It is not crisp at all.

Thanks for any input.

I do my own trigger jobs.

And they work very well, with the exception of the occasional very hard import/Russian berdan primer may not light on the first try. I have not had any problem at all with US made primers.

I use a DPMS factory single stage trigger and hammer. Disconnect brand optional.

Polish the top and front of the dpms trigger using 400 grit paper on a flat hard surface while rubbing the contact points back and forth so the factory angles are unchanged.

Do the same for the lip on the hammer until it is smooth.

Then I use a set of the JP Enterprise reduced power spring set to reduce the trigger pull weight. Another reason that I like to use reduced power springs is I often use a 22LR conversion upper and the lightweight springs make it easier for the ceiner bolt to cock the gun again after each shot.

edit to add pics:

triggerpolishfront.jpg

triggerpolishtop.jpg

If you want a factory "better" trigger, Rock River Arms 2 stage triggers are around the $100 mark last I checked when you could find them, but I strongly dislike a 2 stage trigger on a fighting rifle and prefer a nice smooth single stage myself.

I had never heard of those particular trigger adjusters so I'm glad you added the link.

I have seen a few set screw types in the past, but that one is pretty unique.

And much more affordable than most of the alternatives.

My triggers are pretty sweet, but I will have one of those.

That’s cool, don’t know how good it would work for me because my grip screw doesn’t go in as far as it should, I have to use a couple washers under the bolt head so it can snug up .

Thanks for the links and advice. I'll be looking into these options.

I have a DD M4 so I'm surprised with trigger feel. Feels like 240 grit sandpaper at times. I have not had much time lately to give it much attention but have some extra cash to make a couple small upgrades (what is not going to the wedding...lol). Especially like to have a backup in case I do something dumb while "adjusting" the trigger.

Or you could buy my Giesselle trigger for a discounted price :D

.... I'm kidding, I'm all for modifying your own triggers... I've polished both the AR trigger groups and 10/22 triggers with great success... no need to buy expensive components when a little elbow grease and some good springs will be just as affective!

Ya know, trigger pull is a funny thing. When I'm out shooting targets, consciously trying to hit the smallest group I can, the trigger feels like it travels a mile before it fires. Here in the kitchen, pulling it while the gun is opened up and my thumb on the hammer, it is a fraction of an inch. Right now it is pretty dirty and has a gritty feel but it felt the same after the last good cleaning I gave it. The feel of the trigger also changes from left to right hand shooting. I do have a screwed up left trigger finger (courtesy of an errant beer bottle throw...doh!) so that is one reason for the difference.

I'm going to "clean up" the trigger group a bit, not anything harsh, and see how it goes. One big problem is getting to the range right now...no time.

Good info here, just made an online trip to Joe Bobs!!

I know the answer to "what trigger should I get" question is always "Geissele", but I just didn't want to spend that much money on a trigger. I wanted a nice, clean, crisp milspec trigger without breaking the bank. So, I am a huge fan of the ALG Combat Trigger with JP Enterprises Trigger Spring Kit combo.

http://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5T

The ALG ACT is pretty much a regular milspec trigger that has been polished and hardlubed. I ran the JP reduced power springs for a while and had some light primer strikes here and there and it really got annoying when it kept happening during a class so I ended up getting the JP Reliability Enhanced Spring Kit. With that combo, I haven't had any issues at all and I absolutely love it. Best part is that if my trigger, disconnector or hammer breaks, I can pull up any milspec parts and replace them. I'm not limited to having to replace the entire FCG with another proprietary one.

I installed an ALG Defense ACT trigger last year and it's been great. I think I paid $50-$60. It's just a "tuned" mil spec trigger (tuned by Giesselle I believe). Very smooth and clean break but still at mil spec weight which is what I wanted.

OA,

Is your trigger a single-stage? If so, instead of replacing the trigger you might check this out...

JoeBob's Trigger Adjuster

Works great for taking the creep out of a factory trigger...

Installed the adjuster and reduced weight spings tonight. I'm loving it. Need to get tot the range to give it a real test

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

Back