• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trigger Housing Pin Slides Out of Receiver

trotline

.22LR
Supporter
During my regularly schedule Tuesday Skeet night, my 500s trigger housing pin (#27 in the schematic) kept sliding out, once it came completely out of the receiver. Disconcerting, to say the least and embarassing. Interrupts the smooth rhythm my flight tries to maintain. Have had this gun 30 years and shot it alot. Replaced several sets of extractor springs, magazine springs, etc but nothing like this. Any ideas about what is happening and why?

Sounds like the pin or the hole is worn. Or both.

One temporary solution may would be to spray paint one side of the pin (insert the painted side last) as a coating to make it a little thicker so it doesn't come out as easily.

But as I said, that would just be a temporary solution.

By chance, has anyone buggered with the pin to try to make it smooth? Sanded it?

Try staking the OD of the pin slightly where it contacts the receiver. Just enough to displace a little bit of metal. I don't know if the pin is hardened or not so this may not work...

I did not know that Old Mossy.

That would be exactly perfect for this.

My trigger pin cannot come out. I have a Bsquare scope mount on my 500, and the trigger pin was replaced by a bolt that holds the mount in place long ago.

Sounds like the pin or the hole is worn. Or both.

One temporary solution may would be to spray paint one side of the pin (insert the painted side last) as a coating to make it a little thicker so it doesn't come out as easily.

But as I said, that would just be a temporary solution.

By chance, has anyone buggered with the pin to try to make it smooth? Sanded it?
Bought the gun used over 30 years ago, have shot a small mountain of ammo thru it and the pin has just started acting up; ie coming out.

I'd just about bet that shooting the gun, a lot, didn't cause the pin and/or hole to wear out. However, I'd also bet that cleaning the gun, a lot, did cause the pin and/or hole to wear out. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

Back