• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tulammo .223 question

oli700 said:
that's because kel-tec's are so awesome lol

I didn't get the warm and fuzzy as I do with my AR, I was trying to make it something it wasn't. If I would've kept her stock (I had the C model, with the folding stock) it would've been a handy backpacking rifle no doubt... If I would've done my research back then... I would've found out I could build my own AR for roughly the same price.... :roll:

Anyways, I don't hate on steel cased, or aluminum for that matter, ammo... I think it has it's place... and if it runs reliably through your weapons platform... I'd rather have the time behind the trigger!

I would totally battle with Tula, for me it is battle accurate all day. Not the most powerful or clean but all mine has been reliable

Bad Ammo = Bad memories (which never go away)..........

But Tula is pretty OK, and like SKS/AK ammo it will certainly perform within expectations and I doubt it would damage your rifle.

It's the steel (bi-metal) jacket on the bullet, not the core or case that can increase the wear rate of the barrel. And you can buy multiple name brand barrels with the money you'll save shooting steel over the life of a barrel. Of the bazillion rounds of steel my friends and I have fired, I've never seen a damaged extractor or chamber. But I have seen barrels wear down a little quicker.

I've had no more issues with the steel through an AR as I've had with brass. Just need to remember to clean it first before you switch back to brass cased ammo (or shoot the brass before the steel). The steel case lets more gas and carbon etc back into the chamber so when a softer brass expands it can stick to the chamber wall.

aksavanaman said:
Anyways, I don't hate on steel cased, or aluminum for that matter

I will hate on aluminum cased ammo.

I saw one very particularly nasty kaboom using CCI aluminum ammo. 90% of the rim of the case and some of the wall blew out.

The extractor didn't have anything to grip to pull it out of the chamber and had to be done manually, which took several minutes, and he had to dig some of the blown case out of his cheek.

It wasn't deep, and probably looked worse than it was, but that was enough for me to never buy it.

My lowly DPMS AP-4 gobbles up Tula (have about 500rds stashed) and loves the Sliver Bear 62gr. I'm reloading now and have about 3K 223/5.56 empties to fill. Never had 1 issue with Russian steel case in 223 but have had some duds in 7.62x39 Wolf. I've shot hundreds of the Tula 9mm & 45 acp in 1911's B.H.P. CZ-75 & XD with "0" issues other than being filthy. So buy a box or 2 and try it before you buy in bulk.

The only problem I seen with steel cased bi-metal ammo is that many indoor ranges ban it.

yardbird said:
My lowly DPMS AP-4

Just a little reply to your comment.

No one here will look down on you for what brand or model of gun that you own. Mossbergowners is not that kind of forum.

While all of us have our own opinions of what we like and what we think is "the best", you shouldn't feel the need to apologize in advance for what gun you own.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners forum yardbird.

I'll second that.

I've assembled a couple ARs using DPMS lowers, uppers, barrels, and other parts. They make 'em just as good as anybody else and they shoot just as true...

John A. said:
No one here will look down on you for what brand or model of gun that you own. Mossbergowners is not that kind of forum.

Yes, MO is the only place on the internet where AR, AK and Mini14 etc. owners get along. Same with Mossberg, Remington, Benelli etc for shotguns. We just flat out love guns.

John A. said:
yardbird said:
My lowly DPMS AP-4

While all of us have our own opinions of what we like and what we think is "the best", you shouldn't feel the need to apologize in advance for what gun you own.

Completely agree. Why I love it here.

As a side note, a great run down IMHO on the effects of these ammos - some pretty surprising information. YMMV.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-v ... ased-ammo/

Name doesn't always mean better.

And yardbird is right, a lot of places ban any magnetic bullets because it tears up their targetry/baffles/backstop material. 855 especially, but they group it all together.

John A. said:
yardbird said:
My lowly DPMS AP-4

Thanks to John A. & company for a warm welcome at M.O. It's down right funny to post on a AR-15 forum saying you have a DPMS/OLYMPIC/BUSHMASTER AR or other lower tier 3 trash + shoot a 1911. In their eyes I'll be dead in the 1st 5 minutes of the ZOMBIE APOACALYPE because I don't have a Tier 1 AR and don't have a Glock :roll: My lowly DPMS has been 100% flawless with good ammo/steel ammo/ and crap reloads from gun show, so much for the "Keyboard Kammandos"!

Sorry this thread got de-railed but, 1 more good thing about TULA and the other steel cased ammo is range clean up, attach a big magnet on ax handle = no more bending over to pick up. empties :mrgreen:

I said it before and I'll say it again......if one lives long enough to break their "lower" grade AR they can collect BCM's from all the dead internet posers.......I would rather face an internet poser with a Noveske then a trained individual with a 1978 pencil barrel Mini 14.......loaded with Tula

zombie apocalypse is fun to think about, but more important is the social and political issues are country is having. Want zombies? Look for "2O12" stickers.

Yardbird, I built my AR from a blackthorne kit and a DPMS lower. Put stuff on it as I could afford. Still can hit whatever I aim at because I train with it...best weapon in the world doesn't mean a damn thing if it's LNIB because it doesn't get trained with.

Thread officially derailed.

Back on topic, I don't shoot Tula. Mostly because of what I posted in the link above. I'm not opposed to replacing barrels, I just don't want to at this moment. And I'd rather have brass to then reload with :)

Thanks for all the input on this guys. I started this thread just to get a better feeling for the tula ammo from ppl who I know here that know what they are talking about rather than just some random opinion on the internet by someone who may just dislike certain ammo for whatever reason.....

As for the.thread derails, IMO the more info the better even if it is a bit off subject, it may be helpful to someone else reading .... Thx again guys.for the input.

Tula, like wolf are all the same, steel case and polymer coated. I've been shooting both through mine without a hiccup for a few years now. I clean my rifle every couple hundred round and have not had a problem

Back