• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey gun to personal protection

Charleym3

Copper BB
Im new here, please forgive me if this has been explored before, I did multiple searches and came up empty.
I picked up a mossberg 500 turkey gun at a very good price intending to put a 7 round magazine, which would be flush with the muzzle, on it and ran into issues. The magazine stop is permanently attached to the barrel.
Has anyone attempted this modification? How did it turn out?

Charley,
Kansas City area

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to about the magazine stop. I'm assuming the nub on the bottom of the barrel that is brazed on.

If so, in order to swap out to a full length 7 round magazine, you would also have to replace the barrel with one of the "persuader" style as well and not only the longer magazine tube.

Yep, that nub is what I meant. I wasn't sure what to call it. This is getting expensive quick. Maybe I'll return the magazine tube and practice reloading.

Some guns are designed so they will just accept a magazine extension.

Remington 870. Winchester 1300. Just to name a few.

The Mossberg however, doesn't do that. You have to have a matched barrel and mag tube combo unfortunately.

I have always thought they'd be so much popular if they redesigned how they did that. But that's how they've been for over 50 years now, so I guess they are content with how they do it.

Back