• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey. hunters

biglever

.270 WIN
How's your season going.
For me not so good.
Herd gobbling before the season opened But now nothing. Have 6 Jake's that visit my bird feeder almost every day.along with a couple hens. Have called in hens and kept them clucking for a wile.
But no long beard's

It varies from year to year for me.

Some years I have an over-abundance of hens, other years, I have an over-abundance of young jakes and toms. I am fortunate that I can manage them appropriately, and much better than some wildlife biologist in parts unknown that is only making guesses as to the population. I monitor my trail cam year round and know much better at what, and how many of about everything there is on our property.

I have watched the vast majority of the animals grow from babies, and can often even tell you their "moms" knick-name back a generation or two for nearly all of them.

This year is about even numbers for males/females here, but I am seeing less this year than in the last few years, so I have made the decision NOT to turkey hunt on our property this year to give them a break and let their numbers grow some because we have harvested several over the last few years and we want their flock to flourish, not just exist.

For what it's worth, it has taken YEARS to get the amount of game that's on our property to the levels that they are and while we have harvested several, I'm trying to do the responsible thing, which if you knew me is difficult to make that call, but in the end, I believe that it is the right one to make this year.

There are several "trail camera" photo threads here. I have pictures of everything from squirrels and rabbits and raccoons to huge black bear, elk herds and a couple of dozen deer and other things.

I really enjoy checking my camera. It's a thrill every time because I never know what I'm going to see next. I try to be a good "steward" of our little part of the world.

Back