• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Hunting And Your Mossberg...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
This is a thread to discuss Turkey hunting and your Mossberg...

Who is getting excited to get out and do some turkey hunting this upcoming season. I just ordered a Primos Wet Box to try out this season.

I just scored a sweet Aluminator call box at the flea market today! It was totally free, included the carbon fiber and hickory strikers!

Turkey planting has made it not that hard to get a big tom around here. Never used to see them that much but now road kill turkey is not uncommon ....they are everywhere and not that afraid of people

I have a house in Deposit, NY and the turkeys there are like pigeons in NYC.

used to be one of the hardest things to bag around here.....see two cougars and a bear before you saw a turkey...now your making me want to dig out the bird gun

What loads are people using? I personally will be shooting some #6 Tungsten this season.

I'm still debating that. Federal makes a turkey load, but I think its a 3 1/2" magnum. I'll be doin some lookin around, but likely a #4.

Well, several turkey loads from Federal, and they do have a 2 3/4" FliteControl in #4 shot. I would be very comfortable and confident with a 30 yard shot, heck could probably take it out with the wad!

I'd use my Persuader to turkey hunt, and if I get on it, I may have it back from paint in time!

I wont be, I'm planning on goin to my wife's family's farm. I may be able to hang on the edge of the pasture.

i'll be goin to my neighbors farm land. he told me i'm the only one who wanted to hunt turkeys at his place since he's been there. the turkeys there are all over the place. i can't wait till i get there and bag one. or two.

Been practicin with my call box, not sure I'm getting a deep enough tone.

i'm thinking either a mouth call or friction...but most likely both.

Rossignol said:
Been practicin with my call box, not sure I'm getting a deep enough tone.

what are the advantages of either over each other....
call box
mouth call
slate
??

I dont know enough about them to be able to answer that properly. For me right now, it would be preferencial as to which one I can manipulate effectively. My box is like a slate call, but its aluminum. The only problem I see with it is after prepping (scuffing) the surface, the aluminum is soft enough that the prepped area has to be redone occassionally. But its also entirely possible I'm doin it wrong.

i've been goin down to my neighbors field to practice with my slate call...
*pats self on shoulder*
i think i,m gettin it...i had a total of 4 turks come around to see what all my fussin was about....then my dog saw them and decided she wanted to see what they were doin ....man that was funny...i'm not sure who scared who? but after they each saw each other lickity split they went thata way <------>

Back