• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2012

As much as I would like to hunt this year, work will keep me here in Saudi until May 31. Indiana's season will be over by then. Good luck to everyone and post up the pics as you get them!

Regular spring season starts April 14

I had a group of 7 come in on me while waiting in my blind last deer season. I could've had 2 with 1 pull of the trigger the way they lined up just right, but obviously, that didn't happen.

I also got some video too. Along with a gorgeous grey fox.

I think I saw everything but deer :lol:

John A. said:
I could've had 2 with 1 pull of the trigger the way they lined up just right, but obviously, that didn't happen.

Ok, the deserves more explanation.

just the way they were standing. It would've been very likely I could've shot at either one and nailed both.

They were standing side by side probably less than 6 inches apart and inline with me.

Probably wouldn't ever happen again if it was turkey season

Ahh, OK, I thought it they were in season at the time but there was some other event that disrupted the shot.

If they'd been in season, I would've probably chosen the white feathered turkey. It was pretty unique, but they came in on me while I was deer hunting.

I'd like to go back to this spot this spring when they're in season and see if I get lucky.

But with my luck, I won't see any turkey and will probably see a bunch of deer and elk :lol:

Sorry that the video quality isn't the best, but maybe you can make out enough to tell what they are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF1KyQ3BNU4[/youtube]

I always see things out of season. Once when I was out turkey hunting, a 12 point with a drop tine walked right up to me. Sat in that spot all of deer season, and never saw it, although I have some pictures of it on trail camera. Durring deer season I saw turkeys every day, yet never with a shotgun in my hands. Oh the irony :roll:

That's usually how my luck goes too :lol:

That's a cool video John. I could see them pretty well. They sure hung out for a while. If that's part of their normal feeding route I think it would be back during the season this year. :-D

I think it was part of their normal feeding route.

They first showed up about a half hour after daylight (so I must've been pretty close to their roost) and came back again about 3PM.

They used the same pattern both times. They came down the hill to my right, circled around behind me and moved back up the hill to my left like a big circle.

I would scout it out. Like deer, unless disturbed, they tend to follow the same patterns. Although those patterns will change as the year progresses due to changing food sources, etc.

There shouldn't be anyone in there to disturb them. It's on private property and borders a 3000+ acre state protected animal preserve.

Although we have seen a bunch of coyotes and fox and things like that could harass them into moving.

For anyone in lower MI that can make it. The NWTF's Annual Wild Turkey Workshop will be held this weekend at Williams Gun Sight in Davison.

WILD TURKEY WORKSHOP FLINT RIVER CHAPTER, NWTF

I've been attending this for a few years now and I learn something new every year.

The turkey seminar was OK, but not as good as previous ones I've attended. I did notice more women and kids at this one but overall attendance was low.

On the upside I now have a 935 in layaway. That ought to round out my shotgun collection nicely.

I got our trail camera out this weekend in the place where the turkeys were in the above video to try to pattern them and with any luck snap some pictures of them.

My Mom told me she saw one in the road just behind there about a month ago, so they're still hanging around since last fall. She said it wasn't huge, but that's OK, I'm not a trophy hunter. I want some fresh meat for the grill.

next week's project is make another turtle shell call since I gave my last one away.

Hope you get some good pics John. If you get some good ones post them up.

Turtle shell call? I'm interested in that process.....I'm going to require some in in depth reports, lots of pix, your blood type, the last 5 residences you had and at least 25 references. And did I mention pix?
;)

I guess I could get pics, but wouldn't video be better so you can hear them when I finish?

I stand corrected....well..I'm sitting. So....I sit corrected! Ha!

Back