• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2012

Great story rip, now that's a turkey hunt!! You had them coming out of the woodwork. :lol:

Thanx guys.
Thanx for the rep sniper..

It was a great eventful day for sure. I think I should invest in a gun mounted video cam. Then I'll be able to show ya'll instead of just telling ya. Although I like writting em for this great forum as well......

Fuhghettabhoutitt!!!

It's the least I could do for the guy who killed two birds with one uh, 3-1/2 #4 Turkey load...

Re: 14 Y.O. son shot his 1st Turkey this A.M.

Rossignol said:
Holy Smokes man! Nice work kid, thats great!

Any plans of a mount?

Did yall call em, set decoys... details, we need details!!! :D
OK, here's the story as it was told to me....

My son and 2nd Cousin (my wife's 1st cousin, I can never remember how that all works) went out @ 5:00 AM, they didn't bring decoys because Ronnie, the cousin, says they're a pain in the butt to drag around... They're heading in to a nice open fiels where we've seen a bunch of birds this spring and get set up....

A little after sun-up, they hear the birds chirping and Ronnie tells my son to get his gun up and be ready, he then gives a couple yelps on his box call... Within a few minutes a BIG Tom starts coming in from about 80 yards to their right, following him is the jake ... Ronnie tells my son don't move and wait for them to come in close...

The jake starts coming in with the Tom about 5 yards behind... when the Tom gets to about 40 yards, he pokes his head straight up and starts looking for the hen he'd heard earlier about that time they both turn and start heading back out.... my son didn't wait any longer and dropped the jake @ 37 yards... The Tom took off....

He's got a brass fan mount that he's going to mount the tail and the beard (only about 2-1/2")

I think if they'd have set the decoys, the Tom would have come in closer and He'd have gotten a bigger bird....

He didn't care though, this is our third year turkey hunting and the first year that the birds have been cooperative...

Smitty

First, let me just say congrats to everyone who got birds!

So its been a busy few days since my return on Sunday so I never got to post an update, although there's not too much to say. I chased a big Tom around up there for a few days. Turkeys were all very talkative. The problem was that this big ol' bird would not come down to us, and no matter how high we climbed he would always be higher. Unfortunately, there was no way to get to the top of the mountain without spooking them out of the roost. No road that goes up there. I had him at 80 yards but I didn't want to shoot that far. It was a week of misses for me, from turkeys to fish. I had a Palomino Trout on that was well over 2 feet long, unfortunately I couldn't land it. I look at it as money staying in my savings account as I didn't have to mount the fish. At any rate, plenty of fish left to catch, this was the biggest fish I ever lost, but I'm sure it won't be the last. There's still a lot of time left to get a turkey, starting on the 12th we can hunt in the afternoon here in PA so I'll be out most evenings here locally. I'm going out either Thursday or Friday in the morning depending on which day I get off work.

Happy Hunting!

Re: 14 Y.O. son shot his 1st Turkey this A.M.

Man, thats great! Get some pics of that mount if/when youre able!!!

Congrats Rip! It sounds as if you are gonna need help next spring cleaning out some of those 2 year olds! :D I have never seen or heard of that many jakes in one spot.
Old Blue Tip was probably scared to come out with all of those jakes around. They probably would have ganged up on him and ran him off.
I have been caught off guard like that too, on both deer and turkey. You can try to quick draw 'em, but you will probably lose!

It's funny, I saw a bunch of them all together in a field down the road from me behind a church about 2 months ago...no pix....I was driving over to my mom's and stopped to count em but as I was counting the decided to scram. So I didn't get to count them all...I stopped at 30!! That area of land is off limits to hunting, so they're safe....rats!

Goin out again tomorrow for one this time......it'll probably be my last time for the spring season....unless I take some time off at work...

SWEEEEEET!!!!! congrats future brother turkey hunter!

Welcome to the club. Once you get the turkey bug, you're infected for life. :lol:

Connecticut

FALL TURKEY BOWHUNTING (Open State-wide)
State Land
Sep 15 - Nov 13
Dec 19 - Dec 31

State Land Bowhunting Only Areas
Sep 15 - Dec 31

Private Land (All Zones)
Sep 15 - Dec 31

Private Land (Zones 11-12)
Jan 2 - Jan 31

FALL TURKEY FIREARMS (Open State-wide) Season Dates Bag Limits
State Land ................................................Oct 6 - Oct 31 1 either sex
Private Land ..............................................Oct 6 - Oct 31 2 either sex
Landowner ................................................Oct 6 - Oct 31 2 either sex

Man...I need to start bow hunting....

I am heading out on Monday for opening day to see if I can get any this year...

Good luck Dan!!

I always pick up a fall tag just in case. I deer hunt in the same area where I spring turkey hunt but I rarely see turkeys there in the fall.....but you never know.

Got my turkey permit for the fall and spring 2012-2013 season. November 17 it's go time!

I am just now getting into chokes, seeing as I am having my barrel threaded, anyhow:
I understand the general uses of IC, Mod, Full and Rifled... Much more than that I am blind. I would like to get a choke tube for turkey hunting and don't know where to start. There are sooo many different restrictions and brands.

Can anyone point my in the right Direction?? Full, X Full, XX Full, Super X Full... it's all a blur haha
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question!

You can hunt with any choke as long as you know your pattern at diff ranges

My buddy has taken a lot of birds with a modified choked 20g

I've had great patterns with a primos tight wad choke. I also had acceptable patterns with an undertaker turkey choke

I have a kicks gobbler stopper for my 930 that I really have not had a chance to play with yet

My 835 is equipped with a primos jely head choke

More important then choke is knowing your pattern. Every gun is different you have to play around to find what works best in your gun and loads

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Back