• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2012

Usually full to extra full. All mine are extended just because they are I didn't necessarily look for extended tubes. Look for Ripjacks thread on patterning as a start

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the help MikeD! I will search for his thread! I think I have read online about the % of shot on target at 30yds in a 30 inch circle or something like that. I will just hunt down Rips thread and go from there! haha

Thanks Again
Rick

Ric, check these out...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2090&hilit=understanding+chokes

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=954

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3068&p=47644&hilit=how+to+pattern#p47644
^^gotta give myself a plug... ;)

Forgive me as well....what kind of gun are you using? and shells?

this is what i'm using for ammo...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hevi-Sho ... l+Products

and my choke tube is a truglo

Truglo Strut Stopper Xtreme
12 GA TG151X (.670)

Tw2ial.jpg

The kind of chokes that Dan H and I have are great! I love mine. It holds a nice tight pattern, (more pellets on the turkeys head, the better.) but I'm not sure if mine's available anymore....you can google the truglo name to see the kinds they offer this year...but look for something along the lines of strut stopper, or gobble stopper. They are worth every penny.....

I'd post up more, but I'm scooting to bed, 4am comes early....

MikeD knows his struts....he won't steer ya wrong.

;)

Thank you for the links! I will certainly check them out! It will have to wait till morning though haha.
Truglo does still make chokes, whether they still produce that specific choke I dont know. It's worth checking into though!

I was planning on using Hevi-shot as well! What one, I don't know yet, but probably something that screams TURKEY!!! across the front like that haha. I am going to look into what ammo does what and has what size BB (pellet), as well as shell length.

I will be using a Mossberg 500, with a REM Choke threaded 18.5" barrel :p I am really steering towards the Extended chokes, due to the short length of my barrel. I have a Rifled Hastings on back order right not actually, but that is for deer :)

Don't worry about the barrel length. The only benefits an extended tube offers is that it is easier to remove without a wrench and that it spreads the constriction over a longer distance which some say helps with patterning. You can also go overbored with constriction. Tighter is not always better. Ill say it again patterning is the most impotant thing.

You can shoot the same tube and load through two of the same model guns and they will pattern differently.

Once the turkey bug gets you,you'll find yourself in a constant search for that choke that will get just a few more pellets in the kill zone. Why do you think I have a box full of chokes for various guns and gauges? LOL

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

Also as just a side note and not to derail.....get yourself a slate call. You can't go wrong with those. Imho at least. I'm gettin one made outa some cactus and aluminite resin with a slate. I'll post up a pic of it when it gets here this week hopefully in time for Saturday opening day....

Itsricmo said:
I was planning on using Hevi-shot as well! What one, I don't know yet, but probably something that screams TURKEY!!! across the front like that haha. I am going to look into what ammo does what and has what size BB (pellet), as well as shell length.

That adds a small wrinkle to the mix. Nothing big but be carefull, not all chokes are Hevi-Shot compatable.

The only one I have that is recommended for Hevi_shot is the one on my 835. I specifically looked for ones that were when I set it up.

All of the birds I've taken so far were taken with Winchester 3" #5 copper plated loads. Nothing special but they patterned the best of my samples.

Yeah, I have come to realize this in my searches for information. I guess I will see what ones are usable with Hevi Shot and what ones aren't. As well I guess I would have to pattern ammos too and see if any do really well out of mine. Being it a shorter barrel is going to limit my range

Itsricmo said:
Being it a shorter barrel is going to limit my range

Common misconception. Most modern powders burn fast, usually within the first 20-24" or sooner.

Having a shorter barrel really does not affect range or velocity in any substantial way for the majority of shotgun applications.

Longer barrels are used in wing shooting because they add more weight to the gun and make the "swing" more fluid. Try followng a bird with a 18.5" barrel and then try it with a 28" barrel. Night and day difference.

The only thing that will limit your range is how fast the shot spreds out and how much energy it has retained and that is dependant on the combination of choke and load.

Oh, I was aware of the powder burn rate but thought that only worked for rifles. I know the .308 only needs approximately 20"s of barrel to burn all the powder in most loads. As .233/5.56 needs only about 16"s for the same thing. I thought Shotguns with their slower burning powders needed the extra barrel length.

Thank you for the information! :D

While I'm sure there are exceptions, most of todays shotgun powders burn pretty fast as well.

Oh, I was under the impression Shotgun powders burnt slow. I've been wrong in the past and this certainly won't be the last time lol just means I have a little better of a chance at hitting the Gobble Bird :)

If you go to the heavishot site I'm pretty sure they have compatable chokes for their shot.

I feel that their site is almost as bad as Mossbergs lol... very little information. Mostly just ad information. I do like their Turkey chokes, look like goo quality. I know DHov has done a review on the ATI chokes and those buggers look sweet! Those are IC, Mod and Full though. No specific turkey choke

413452 - Choke fits: 12 ga. Mossberg 500/9200; New England Firearms; SKB; Weatherby.
Sight fits: 3/8" rib, fits most Mossberg, Weatherby, Winchester, and popular 10 ga. models.

Turn almost any shotgun into a turkey gun with a precision machined ported turkey tube. These choke tubes accept all turkey loads including Hevi-Shot. Wrench-free installation, no steel shot, and endorsed by the National Turkey Federation. Comes with a matching Gobble•Dot Xtreme Series Turkey Shotgun Sight.

$29.99
In Stock

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... C&i=413450

===============================================================

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Truglo17 ... Choke+Tube

Truglo® Bone Collector™ Choke Tube

OOOHHHH.....might have to give it a try...

Back