• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Upgrading safety and follower , and follower spring.

Pacheco

Copper BB
Premier Member
I purchased but yet to receive the uprgrade kit from ndz that is the aluminum safety and follower.
Ive had misfeeds and a loose safety on my 500ATP for too long and not only that its never been serviced.
I know face palm, but has any one actually used NDZ I just want this shot gun back up and running like it should be.

Your challenge will be getting the magazine tube off. Mossberg uses yellow loc-tite. I tried heat but was hesitant to go with flame. Ended up going to a gunsmith. Cost $50 and took a "whole lot of heat!"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Your challenge will be getting the magazine tube off. Mossberg uses yellow loc-tite. I tried heat but was hesitant to go with flame. Ended up going to a gunsmith. Cost $50 and took a "whole lot of heat!"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Strap wrench, hair dryer/Heat gun....you'll be good to go. Wipe off the loc-tite product Mossberg uses on newer shotguns and then just screw the magazine tube back in good and hand tight, it's not going anywhere.

But yes, removing the tube to clean or service (the first time) could present a challenge if you aren't equipped for it. Good point.

Strap wrench, hair dryer/Heat gun....you'll be good to go. Wipe off the loc-tite product Mossberg uses on newer shotguns and then just screw the magazine tube back in good and hand tight, it's not going anywhere.

But yes, removing the tube to clean or service (the first time) could present a challenge if you aren't equipped for it. Good point.
Tried the heat gun and strap wrench route. Nope.

I don't have a lot of metal working tricks up my sleeve.

Mark

Tried the heat gun and strap wrench route. Nope.

I don't have a lot of metal working tricks up my sleeve.

Mark
Did you heat the receiver or just the tube? You'll need to warm up the receiver where the magazine tube screws into it. You won't hurt any finish on it IF just using a heat gun or a good hair dryer.

Also....worth checking before you remove the magazine tube is to check and see if you even need to. 'Some' 500 models (my M500A Security shotguns) use a 590 style barrel (magazine tube goes through a lug in the barrel and has a screw on cap). These type make it simple to remove the magazine spring and follower by just removing the retainer. No need to unscrew the magazine tube if yours is set up like this.

Mag Tube1.jpg
Mag retainer.jpg
NDZ follower.jpg

Back