• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Using smoke to cover scent

Chris111

.270 WIN
I came across this and I'm seeing a lot of one way or the other with the topic. Some guys are saying that it works great and others say it won't. Anyone ever hear of this or try it? I'm seeing leaves or moss smoke mostly.

I was thinking about trying this for deer/hog tomorrow.

Chris111 said:
I came across this and I'm seeing a lot of one way or the other with the topic. Some guys are saying that it works great and others say it won't. Anyone ever hear of this or try it? I'm seeing leaves or moss smoke mostly.

I was thinking about trying this for deer/hog tomorrow.

It will cover your sent, but it will also put animals on alert because they fear fire. Strange part is they are attracted to extinguished fire. Even if you are around a campfire and you get up wind of an animal later they will be alerted of something on fire....it’s not a human threat but still high up on their threat list. This is for the deer, I have no idea how a hog perceives fire….they don’t strike me as an animal that’s hard to hunt because of how alert they are. Cigarettes are real bad for tipping deer/elk/moose/bear, not because they smoking nazis but because they smell smoke.

I smoke. And hence I dont try to hunt deer much. Birds dont seem to care, its the dog all up in their beak that bothers them!

I havent tried smoke as a cover, but I imagine it could be used to flush animals from hiding to put them on the move, as Oli mentioned theyre afraid of it, even if they just smell it on your clothes. You could probably focus downwind and see if the smoke drives anything from cover? I dunno, again, I've never tried.

Yeah, I thought it was odd myself. I suppose I can see both ends of the idea. I guess I'll pass on the idea.

Funny you say that about hogs. We went out on foot after some time in the stands to check out the area. We came across a large hog that actually charged us but stopped about 25 feet away and then took off. Couldn't really shoot because the brush was so heavy.

Never heard of using smoke to cover up scent bu my grandfather taught me that if you happened to get sprayed by a skunk you can burn some cedar and walk through the smoke and it will neutralize the odor.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Back