• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Verbal warning or silent strike?

fenderman

Copper BB
Hey everyone!

If there is already a thread on this let me know. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a verbal warning for an intruder should he break in while I was home. Would it put me in danger for giving away my general position by telling him to get out or stop? Should I just stay silent and wait for him to either walk into my sights or leave without coming into contact? I see both sides and just wandered what the general consensus was.

Welcome to the board, Fenderman.

Verbal warnings take away the two things that are important to us if a BG has entered our home: gives them our position and takes away our element of surprise. Of course, never say never but nearly 99% of the time I believe this would apply.

Here's a thread titled Should I Clear My House ... has a lot of good comments on the subject.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=423

Again, welcome to the board.

I think it would depend on if you can visually see how armed he is. If you see a gun, I would stay silent. If not I would probably try to verbally stop them (after obtaining a perfect sight picture and finger on the trigger of course)

Thanks for the responses! I have always wondered about that. I guess it all comes down to what you think is the best action for the situation. I will read that "should I clear my house" thread as catnphx suggested. I really hope no one tries to break in, but statistics are bound to appear in my house. Thanks everyone!

Boy, there is so much you could say. Secret sauce no secrete sauce! I'll give my basics and let others expand if they so choose.

1. Tactics. Are you a mall ninja or true operator or a prepared citizen? Now don't lie to yourself. When the SHTF the truth WILL come out! If I hear a bump in the night, I'm no fool. I have no kids in the house, just my wife and I do I need to protect. I plan on staying put. CALL 911!

2. I.D. your potential target. Know what your going to shoot and what is your back stop.

3. I.D. your potential target. Know what your going to shoot and what is your back stop.

4. I.D. your potential target. Know what your going to shoot and what is your back stop.

5. Since I want the upper hand and I'm in my own home, I don't do warnings. I don't care to take a life, if I don't have to. My belief is I will shoot to stop. I want to stop the actions of the intruder(s) that may hurt my wife or myself.

Situations like that are very fluid and dynamic

As intriguing as it is to think in the hypothetical state, things are not always written in stone.

Personally, I would not give a warning. The laws here in Texas do not require me to give warnings or flee. If I am in my own home and the intruder is already inside, the threat must be neutralized immediately (seconds count). :)

I would suggest that you know what the laws are where you live. I live in Ca. so the laws here are not on the homeowners side. Deadly force here is permitted but you need to dot your eyes and cross the (T's). It may help to find a gun forum in your state and ask them questions, if you live in Ca., then go to Calguns.net for the help. I hope this helps.

It's a tough question and until faced with it we are all just hoping we know what we would do.

I recommend that (unless you live 20-30 minutes away from back up like we do) you gather the kids and wife, get between them and the BG and call 911.

There are good reasons to take either approach you describe, like don't kill a man if you can warn him off and hopefully spare a life that could be reformed in our penal system - yeah right.

A couple weeks ago I did choose to give an audible warning (both vocal and the prominent sound of a 590 racking a round hard and loud). But I was behind fairly good cover and trying to draw some sound or movement from an unseen (and in that instance non-existent) intruder in the wee hours.

Think hard, talk it out with your wife and pray about it. Killing a man is nothing to take lightly. That said, Never, Never, Never let harm come to those you have been given responsibility to protect.

Just my two cents worth,
Jeff

No Verbal Warning

I have always looked at it this way...

If some fool made the decision to enter YOUR home uninvited with bad intentions, then shame on their demise.

No warning. Keep firing until the threat to your safety is gone.

Hey, they made the choice to break in, and like the Gunny said in his commercial, "somebody picked the wrong house."

My 2 cents

5CD

John A. said:
Situations like that are very fluid and dynamic

As intriguing as it is to think in the hypothetical state, things are not always written in stone.

I agree. Each situation is different and there are no absolutes.

Is the bad guy going to give you a warning? Nope. Being the better man isn't always the best choice. Now, if you can safely assess the situation without said bad guy noticing and determine he's unarmed, then by all means put the fear of life in him so long as your state allows that. Iowa, for example, allows me to show a weapon to deter a burglar/trespasser. Some areas are more strict on this though.

Racking a shell into the chamber is as unmistakable a warning as there could be. My hope is that that sound will send an intruder fleeing and make further action unnecessary.

Know your local and state laws - even Castle Doctrine can have some holes in it. Find a lawyer that you can trust - LOL! :D

First, know your state laws.
Second, read up on the Tueller drill. In a nut shell, if a serious perp is within 21 feet of you you are in deep ducky. In my opinion, I would extend the Tueller drill from a perp with a knife to a perp with a crow bar or even a perp who was just younger, stronger, etc. than me. Your opinion and your state law may vary.
Generally, in a closeup HD situation, time is not on your side.

If you're in my home...uninvited...the only hello you will hear is my Cruiser shotgun splitting the silence with a 00 Buck roar...!!

I am in Ontario, Canada.......we have laws that protect the criminals, lol.

Regardless, if anyone is in my home uninvited, I will protect my family and myself and take my chances with the law. I will of course lose with the law, but my family and I will be safe from this encounter.

MossLvR said:
I am in Ontario, Canada.......we have laws that protect the criminals, lol.

Regardless, if anyone is in my home uninvited, I will protect my family and myself and take my chances with the law. I will of course lose with the law, but my family and I will be safe from this encounter.
Hey whats up fellow ontarian! I think it would rely on how well you can prove it was self defense, the law would be on your side.

Back