• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

wanna try hunting

I have only been once. (Well, i have been several times, but none was really "hunting", hard to explain) With a friend a few years ago. Didnt see nothig. So it dont really even qualify as a hunting trip.

I am looking for a mosin nagant 91/30. And i just got a 500a. I would hope this would get me started, test the waters before spending $400-$800 on a better gun.

I would prefer deer. But anything that can become dinner works fine. Im in plant city forida, if that helps.

Heres my issue, even after. Get my license and all. I know nothing. Dont know were to go, how many days is minimum. What it costs to send head off to tax. And meat to market. And worse of all. i have nobody to go with to show me, or even to learn as i learn. Its just me.

How do i get started? Whats needed to get the ball rolling?

Trust me. More questions to come as i get answers to these.

#1 is going to be to look up the specific rules and regulations for hunting in the area you will be hunting in. You'll need to know the dates and times, (hunting is sometimes restricted to just several hours depending on the game and season) barrel restrictions, sometimes slug only or rifle season, how many rounds you can keep loaded, sometimes only 3.

So decide on the game and area you'll hunt, (finding a place to hunt may be part of the trick to being able to get out there) There are sometimes places in some areas public hunting like park and reserves.

Being able to hunt... Thats just a learned skill set, but its entirely possible to learn the habitat that game likes to be around. Knowing what specific game likes or needs will help you focus on terrain and hunting spots. Certain game is relatively easy to track, especially if there is water nearby. That doesnt mean you'll be able to sneak up on it, but can help decide on a place to set up and watch. If you have agricultural areas and farms, you may be able to approach land owners and ask if you can do any work in exchange to be able to hunt during season.

You'll also need to decide on ammo youre gonna use and practice and pattern the ammo so you know your effective range.

Taxidermy and all, I have zero clue, but find a place that can process the meat and ask if they can recommend someone.

So to recap, Know the rules and regulations (including shotgun or rifle or bow seasons and how much ammo you can carry or have loaded) associated with the game you want to hunt as well as dates and hours of day restrictions if they apply. Get you hunting liscense, purchase tags as needed. Decide where you'll be hunting.

Biggest part of hunting, Have Fun!!!

^^^ start by reading the laws for your state.
also listed in the regs is a list of public hunting lands.
You can also get out and troll the farm lands, talk to other hunters out there and you might get permission to hunt the local farms.
spend some time networking here and there might be soem other florida residence here that will let you join them for a hunt.

SHOOTER13 said:
Here's a good starting point...

Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission

http://myfwc.com/hunting/

Yeah, Thats the kind of thing i was talkin about! Another search I have used here is "ohio spring turkey season" or "ohio quail season". Just mod the searches for Florida! ;)

If I was still living in Florida, I would be hunting "the other white meat"... can you say pig roast !!

Wild pigs occur in all of Florida's 67 counties within a wide variety of habitats, but prefer oak-cabbage palm hammocks, freshwater marshes and sloughs and pine flatwoods. Wild pigs can reach weights of more than 150 pounds and be 5-6 feet long.

Wild pigs are legally defined as wildlife and are the second-most popular, large animal hunted in Florida (second only to the white-tailed deer).

On private property with landowner permission, wild pigs may be hunted year round using rifles, shotguns, crossbows, bows or pistols. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required.

On wildlife management areas (WMAs), hogs may be taken during most hunting seasons, except spring turkey. And, you do need a hunting license as well as management area permit and any other necessary permits to hunt wild pigs on WMAs - where on some, daily bag limits on wild pigs do apply, and on a few, there's even a minimum size limit on what you can take.

Really good points on the pig. Where there are wild pigs, many folks would be happy to let you hunt them. Its what I'd be doin if we had pigs here! Hello full power slugs!

Hog hunting is what i have done. But it was on a friends prporty, we didnt get on the camo and all that, just got up early, headed into the woods, sat on an old jeep that has been broken down and half bcovered in dirt out wholeblife, and watch were we kept putting corn out.. of coarse, after a while we started trapping them so we could feed them corn for a couple weeks and get rid of that game taste..

Walmart here has the hunting schedule, i can get it from them when they put the new one up, im trting to convence a friend of mine to take up this hobby with me.

Thanks so far guys, i will see were my local wma's are, say you wanna go out friday night to the area, so you dont have a long drive on sat. Morning, and you wanna hunt sat. And sun. Do you just camp at the wma? Do they allow blinds and tree stands and such?

Join a club. General shooting, or specifically hunting. Lots of folks who can't get around as well as they used to, but know more than you ever will (because there was more land and less regs when they learned) who would love some help, and others who can't get around at all and don't have any family interested in the outdoors who don't want their personal history to vanish when they die.

Gonna have to look into that blue! Justgotta find the right club. Some have there own land you can hunt on dont they?
A big factor is money, cant afford no $600-$1000 yearly due's, especially when theres still a licence to buy, taxadermy (if you want), stand/blind, outfit... All the orher. Things involved with starting up. So i will jave to find one a little cheaper. Tjen join the bigger/better down the road.

gibson_es said:
Gonna have to look into that blue! Justgotta find the right club. Some have there own land you can hunt on dont they?
A big factor is money, cant afford no $600-$1000 yearly due's, especially when theres still a licence to buy, taxadermy (if you want), stand/blind, outfit... All the orher. Things involved with starting up. So i will jave to find one a little cheaper. Tjen join the bigger/better down the road.

Well, you can go nuts, but I harvested more when I was kid in blue jeans, a t-shirt (NEVER WHITE WHEN HUNTING! YOU LOOK LIKE A DEER'S ASS!), and Chuck Taylors on my feet, than I bet most of the guys duded out in scent block, active holographic camo (too halo?), and Pheramones do. And don't sweat the taxidermy.

A mount is going to be $300 to $700. And a $300 mount looks like a $300 mount. You'll have no problem remembering your first without 3 dimensional proof. Save a mount for something truly spectacular. Get some army surplus camo, and take all the money you save on gearing up and that mount and join a club. Mine, which is one of the premier shooting clubs in the region has a one time initiation fee of $275 and dues are like $150 a year. I can go to meetings and get to know guys in Trap, 5-stand, long range rifle (we have a 300 yard range), reloading, wingshooting, big-game, blackpowder, CMP, Bullseye pistol, competitive air-gun, archery... Cheap investment.

If they have land for hunting, it's usually a big deal and REALLY expensive. Kind of like belonging to a country club with a golf course.

blue said:
gibson_es said:

Well, you can go nuts, but I harvested more when I was kid in blue jeans, a t-shirt (NEVER WHITE WHEN HUNTING! YOU LOOK LIKE A DEER'S ASS!), and Chuck Taylors on my feet, than I bet most of the guys duded out in scent block, active holographic camo (too halo?), and Pheramones do. And don't sweat the taxidermy.

A mount is going to be $300 to $700. And a $300 mount looks like a $300 mount. You'll have no problem remembering your first without 3 dimensional proof. Save a mount for something truly spectacular. Get some army surplus camo, and take all the money you save on gearing up and that mount and join a club. Mine, which is one of the premier shooting clubs in the region has a one time initiation fee of $275 and dues are like $150 a year. I can go to meetings and get to know guys in Trap, 5-stand, long range rifle (we have a 300 yard range), reloading, wingshooting, big-game, blackpowder, CMP, Bullseye pistol, competitive air-gun, archery... Cheap investment.

If they have land for hunting, it's usually a big deal and REALLY expensive. Kind of like belonging to a country club with a golf course.

Haha, i agree with most of that, walmart here has mossy oak t-shirts for around $5, and i bet they got pants to match, i got a camo jacket that was my grandpa's before he passed, i were it every winter. Camo gloves and hat ( i like camo, but also, its usualky cheaper then the none camo if you dont mind mossy oak break up from walmart)

The mount will have to be decided when i have deer in hand. YOur logic makes total sense, but i know when i get thst firdt buck, i may not think logically. Haha

Something else i didnt think about, i dont have a truck anymore.. i guess i could tarp the entire inside of my van (much longer then most vans) or rope it down to the roof of my 4 door '66 dart (nice and long). Lol!

gibson_es said:
Something else i didnt think about, i dont have a truck anymore.. i guess i could tarp the entire inside of my van (much longer then most vans) or rope it down to the roof of my 4 door '66 dart (nice and long). Lol!
I always ask myself "what would Keith Stone do?" I bet he'd give the dart major smooth points
tumblr_lkfm3gc9eE1qzg8ul.jpg

Hey! You making fun of my dart?!? Lol

Look at its prestine paint job

IMAG0053-2.jpg

And nice clean engine

IMAG0161-1.jpg

And dont forget my custom apolstered seats... Its duck skin!

IMAG0106-1.jpg

Heres the before picture

IMAG0104-1.jpg

I know what your thinking, why re-apolster a perfectly good seat?

BECAUSE I CAN!

(And because i was tired of getting seat foam stuck to my back)

Back on topic ... look for a hunter safety class in your area. Your state Game & Parks Commission will likely sponsor them. In most states, hunter safety certification is required unless you are under or over certain ages - think youth and old geezers like me. :D

SHOOTER13 said:
Push button transmission on the dash ?!

Nope. 3 speed on the column...

Mudinyeri said:
Back on topic ... look for a hunter safety class in your area. Your state Game & Parks Commission will likely sponsor them. In most states, hunter safety certification is required unless you are under or over certain ages - think youth and old geezers like me. :D

Never heard of it. I will look that up too. Not sure if florida requires it. But i would wanna take it none the less.

Back