• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

War on coal casualties

Yeah, that's some of the better news I've heard in a while.

The EPA was the largest contributing factor of this whole mess, acting under obamas executive orders and direction.

Now, if we can get the EPA to start approving the damn permits to mine applications that have sat on desks for years.

Sometimes decisions can come back to bite you and that seems to be the case for liberals in New England who may have been a bit too hasty in shutting down coal-fired power plants.

I know that I probably shouldn't have gotten such a laugh out of that article, but I am reminded that sometimes you get exactly what you ask for.

Even if the plants don't shut down entirely, their heating bills are going to be insane.

So many people here are buying electric and low-pollution cars that the state gasoline tax revenue is falling, and lawmakers are getting nervous.

All those green rules have a red lining!

Now in addition to getting a gas tax we're going to have a tax on how many miles you drive. Modern cars can keep track of that and Report the totals by computer to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Yay.

Just like carbinemikes last post about unintended consequences, I just love hearing how people suffer the consequences.

I used to revile in reading bad laws. Now I look forward to seeing just how much stupid they can shovel out in them, because more people wake up when it starts affecting them directly.

Yay.

More taxes.

Said no one.

Except the Democrats.

Until they realize they're also going to be paying those stupid taxes and it hurts them in the pocketbook.

I swear, I believe that if certain people had to make the choice between necessary medicine and paying their internet bill, they'd rather share what it feels like to die in 140 characters or less.

I couldn't help but giggle at the earlier comment you made Cad about people and their electric cars.

Then I found this short video that shows some of the stark contrast in people from here to there.

Some of these are my people. My Great grandparents are buried there in a little holler called Cutshin ;) and still have a lot of family around there and Wooten. My cousin Mike and his son still keeps a cabin up near Blue Diamond.

Anyway, I just had to laugh.

Years ago whilst I was living in Omaha, probably 20 or so, Iowa raised it gasoline taxes. Why, because after years of the state asking, begging, telling folks to conserve, they ran out of money due to people not buying enough gasoline. Now, in Oklahoma we have a huge budget shortfall. Of course every agency in the stated swears they are running bare bones operations. So, a group has come up with a plan to raise revenue as they call it. First a $1.50 tax on each pack of cigarettes. It's always the so called sin taxes first. Perhaps everyone will quit smoking, then what ?
They also are raising a couple of other taxes, but the smokes are the biggest, and the easiest to get the voters to go for. Of course there is no talk of cutting spending because every government agency claims to be barely hanging on .

Not sure if you guys remember, but there was a really great guy that was on America's Got Talent a couple years ago. He was from the next county over. His song "coal keeps the lights on".

Here's another song that I didn't know that he had on youtube. Good stuff.

Oh, and he did serve in the Marines in Iraq too. Nothing fake about him. He's really a great guy from everything I have seen. He even helped my wife with her buggy coming out of Kmart with some stuff falling off the bottom rack a while back.

Anyway, check this out.

Sorry about your dad John. It sounds like an awful disease. I was surprised by the article. I had not heard of the disease in years and thought it had been eradicated with the use of breathing apparatus over the years.

My Dad was getting federal black lung benefits until about 5 years before he died. Some doctor in Maryland looked at some of Dads xrays during a review and caused Dad to lose his benefits. He had them sued when he died, and I wish that it had been different because my Mom could've drawn survivors benefits from it at least, but that screwed her out of it too.

Black lung (*or at least the medical term for that) was listed as the cause of death on his death certificate.

The supreme court even ruled the process unconstitutional, but federal beuracracy under obama was not known for doing anything positive.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/17/17-130/41964/20180402155006946_36183 pdf Phillips.pdf

B. If the Court finds a constitutional violation,
the Court should apply its decision
nonretroactively or appropriately limit
retroactive application to protect those
who otherwise would be harmed

Further, 3M, one of the companies who were making dust masks have had a huge class action lawsuit against them for faulty gear.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article209783724.html

Somehow they've never figured out proper dust control and ventilation in mine shafts.

But the God's honest truth is that this is the kind of work that human beings should not have to do.

When we can build robot vacuum cleaners at an affordable price, you know that we have the technology to bring all those men out of the Earth.

But America likes to make all the big technology investments on entertainment for the most part.

Dying (white) coal miners are not in the least entertaining.

Any American kid with PlayStation experience could learn to operate a robot coal miner from above ground.

And it would cost less than all these medical expenses and lawsuits, even if you are cold hearted enough to ignore the human tragedy of it all.

Half the country wants us to turn our backs on this huge National resource because we haven't figured out how to deal with the problems of keeping things clean and healthy.

God knows that the American Engineers could do this, but they just are not being asked ($$$) to.

Instead the Clintonites were ready to just sweep it all under the rug and leave it as a booby trap for the Republicans.

Continuous miners (machines) are remote control. I believe JOY was the first company to use remote controls.

They are not operated above ground however.

edit to add:

s-l1600.jpg

Yep, that technology has been around forever and we still have guys down in the ground to run this machinery.

The one thing that our robots cannot do is replace a human being.

The one thing they can be made to do exceptionally well is operate where no man should be.

But human beings are certainly cheaper than automated equipment. Human life is the cheapest thing on the planet.

Back