• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"waxed" birdshot

Salberg

.22LR
Hi,
First ,if this has been covered please advise.

I have been seeing a few u tube vids on "making" and shooting results of wax shot shells. I'm sure some are familiar with these vids. I was wondering about the legality, both criminally and the civil liability of these modifications. They seem more devistating than lead slugs, but I think you or I would be just begging for trouble if you used them in even the most extreme self defense scenario. I am most interested in any lawyers' or LEOs experience or opinions. I'm not going to try to get my kids crayons from them, as they (the kiddies :evil: ) scare me.

Thanks
Salberg

I've seen the vids but am not sure of the legality. I know that it is illegal to possess cut shells here in MI while hunting but I've not seen this type of thing documented specifically.

IANAL But in theory in a HD or SD situation if its a good shoot it should not matter but I certainly would not want to give a prosecution anything extra. I think they would be OK in a SHTF breakdown of society type of scenario as all rules are off but aside from that I'd only use them on the range.

Sal,

I havent heard of these... I dont think? I know folks who make "soap" bullets. Litterally, soap. Theyll use them indoors, in their home. Kinda a long story how it came about.

Another modifiication would be "cut shells" turning birdshot into a slug.

As for the legality, I couldnt say. Sorry man. However, bullets are designed really with only one purpose unless youre talkin about less lethal... another topic maybe?

First, I want to try "cut shells" before I try the waxed shot. I wonder if the wax will build up in the rifling of the barrels or is it intended to be used only on smooth bores. :)

I've not heard of people using them through a rifled barrel, but reports I've heard indicate that they leave little to no residue in a smooth bore.

In theory because it is still using the shot cup, there should not be any wax buildup in the rifling.

Back