• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Well, it was HIS rifle, but it still makes me sick

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Ten years ago, for my only son's high school graduation, I bought him a new Marlin 39A lever action rifle. It was the real Marlin Gun Company back then. It was absolutely beautiful. If you've never held a 39A you just cannot imagine what a fine rifle it is. I zeroed the iron sights. Then I put the provided scope base on it and mounted a Weaver 1.5-4.5x30 scope with Leupold "return to zero" quick-detach rings .

I test fired it and dime sized groups were a snap at 50-yards with regular ammo.

And it was gorgeous. I hadn't told him I was getting it and since it was a surprise I actually thought of keeping it for myself.

This afternoon I found out that he traded it even up for something he thought he needed more.

A 9mm pistol.

A Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol.

A Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm pistol.

My son isn't a "Gun Guy" and he didn't know what he had (I guess). I just keep telling myself that it was HIS gun.

That is all.

Ouch!

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

What is cherished by some may not be cherished by all.

and that's just a shame...

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you could unburden yourself here. I'm probably to sentimental the other way and keep to much stuff from my Dad.

lol I was young and dumb once, I am still young and still decently dumb haha... My father for my 16th bought me a Remington 700 in 30-06... At the time I had no interest in firearms, I was a Bow Guy, and my father being a Marine was a firearms instructor at the time.

Well I sold the 700 for $300 to add to my Graduation Trip Fund.... He wasn't mad because he realized I had no clue what I had... Now that I am a self-proclaimed Gun Nut and know what that same 700 should have fetched... I kick my self in the ass every day!

can you buy it back from whoever he sold it to! I think any guns i give to my kids over the years will come with the stipulation that if they decide to sell it they have to give me the chance to buy it from them first...

Back