• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Westernfield 20 gauge bolt action

102_3587.JPG I bought a Westernfield 20 gauge bolt action shotgun today. In nice shape just needed cleaning. Where can I find info on age and bolt disassembly. I looked on youtube for bolt info.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

I can't help on dating it, but western field branded guns were sold by montgomery wards.

And were kind of their own house brand.

Much like JC Higgins was Sears, AR Stoner/Midwayusa, Revelation/Western Auto, etc.

The Western Field guns were made by various companies.

The being sold by Montgomery wards I knew as I bought one just like it in 1970 when I turned 18. $50 plus tax. Sold it when WI required steel shot. Had a full fixed choke. This one has the Mossberg type safety selector used by Mossberg. Mainly I want info on bolt diassembly.

102_3695.JPG 102_3696.JPG Took it out an tested it 3 weeks ago. Fed the shells in one at a time. Worked fine. Took it out turkey hunting last week and shot a jake with it. Went to load another shell from the mag and it does not line up with the chamber. Seems to be to high. Any in put would be great. I have another season in 2 weeks and would like to have a second shot if needed. TIA

Last edited:
Great news.

Those old bolt action shotguns are some rare breed these days.

I restored one 2 years ago that I saved from the back of an old Rambler (car) that I got out of the trunk in a junkyard. That thing was scrap by all intents and purposes. I spent more on parts than the gun was worth just to get it fixed back well enough to be able to use the thing.

And it still looks ugly as sin.

Back