• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What have you stockpiled for when SHTF

cbshooter

.270 WIN
Well, I have been asking myself what I should stockpile for if/when SHTF. Now I know the basics but what has everyone here done that I/others forgot to do? Do you have any links or where do you buy your provisions. Costco, they sell freeze dried food online, Walmart in some areas carry some as well. How about MRE's? I think all of us have the guns/ammo covered but do you have any suggestions on this as well?

Guess that depends on what type of SHTF....I can think of many scenarios. The Pacific Northwest is a stronghold and most of us would live off the land and there are lots of bunkers, caves and a ton of natural resources as far as water, food, shelter and hiding/sniping spots. Are we talking climate, natural disasters, war?….lets not talk zombies because that’s just stupid. …..I would be more apt to believe alien invasion. Skills are what people need to learn…that’s what you will have when the MRE’s run out.

I guess I should make it clearer. I don't believe any one in their right mind would think zombies. What I am thinking about is being prepared for natural disasters. I am talking about earthquakes, flooding, (if you are lucky enough to still have a home), riots, massive snow storms that shut down utilities in areas that don't get alot of snow normally and other SHTF scenarios. Maybe these are not SHTF type of events but some I remember were pretty bad. My family always had a garden and we canned 100's of quarts of everything but most urban areas are not doing this anymore. I hope this gives you a better understanding of what I meant.

I thought it was sasquatch they were worried about.

Anyway, There's a lot of things that help.

A few small but prudent bits of advice would be, if you go to the dr anytime soon and they prescribe an antibiotic, try to get them in pill form.

Refridgerated/liquid antibiotics shelf life is much shorter than pills.

I don't stockpile water because I have plenty of fresh water (short of nuclear fallout and airborne stuff) but a filter or those little purification tablets sure wouldn't hurt if worse comes to worse.

have something for heat and cooking

A hand crank can opener and lots of canned food

guns/ammo

toilet paper or plenty of catalogs (sears and roebuck catalogs used to be a family favorite for more than 1 reason you know)

Plenty of fish hooks and string (you can fish for more than just fish too)

Just look around and see what you and your families needs are. Some people would need "lady products" and others would need extra diapers. Some of you may not need much of anything that we dont' already have.

It's up to you to make sure those needs are met.

Hmmm... I'm thinkin Zombies! Oli, it might happen!!! CDC says so! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, just kiddin!

Well, I dont have a stockpile of anything really. Just some of the more basic stuff already mentioned. Small handy things I absoutely wont be able to find in the woods or in a crick.

Ammo man. If need be, guns and ammo can get you what you need, or help you keep what you have. Hopin things never come to that.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Living in PNW oli, don't you worry about vampires!?! :lol:

I didnt want to say it but I am castng silver bullets too......you guys act like vampires arent real sheesh

Rossignol said:
Ammo man. If need be, guns and ammo can get you what you need, or help you keep what you have. Hopin things never come to that.

I had a lengthy conversation with my wife one evening about that. She said "you're wasting money on guns and bullets and they're going to taste awful".

I looked her straight in the eye and said, we'll see

On a more humorous note, I read one time from a report by Nancy Pelosi that 2/3rds of US citizens didn't own any guns.

I just laughed and said that if worse comes to worse that 2/3'rds of the country would be in a panic, while 1/3 of us gun owners would only be mildly annoyed. :lol:

Who says they'll be food shortages :lol:

OK, that was a joke.

John A. said:
OK, that was a joke.

Or was it.....I have eaten big foot meat.....people not that far removed.....ok that was a joke

People do strange things when they are starving....kill a sheepeople you have food and one less mouth to feed...now imagine the hungeriest you have ever been X10 for 10 days....sheepeole, it whats for dinner :)

vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-medium.gif

Thanks but I'm going to try to stick to my Chef Boy-R-Dee ravioli

John A. said:
I thought it was sasquatch they were worried about.

It was a reference to those retarded Twilight books and movies that my wife seems to love for some reason. It's like I have 2 (soon to be 3) kids sometimes. :lol:

Jenny, my wife, also says I'm waisting time. I gather bags, first aid, guns, ammo, and just the simple easy to carry stuff to make life suck a little less if Zombies, Sasquatch, Aliens, or Vampires do invade.

MRE's are on the list of stuff to stock, but heres a bigger thought for me. I dont want so much we cant carry it, maybe several days worth. I dont expect to be stayin in one place, so tools and stuff asd mentioned for fishing and snaring, hunting and skinnin. Anything that can pull double duty is a plus, and its easier to carry stuff that can be worn, so modular vests for example I think are desirable. As long as we're talkin all apocalyptic, body armor is probably another good idea, a set for at least one person, so if someone has to go take a look up the road a bit, or go into a house to appropriate and liberate supplies.

Binoculars or a spotting scope. NVG would be cool, until the batteries died... Clothing, and probably a couple pieces for changing weather. I like rope, but a flat 1" nylon strap about 50 ft is easier to carry than 50' of rope. Paracord too. A heavy PVC long rain jacket can even be a tarp. Basic survival stuff... redundancy of knives and fire starting stuff, but firestarting tools and materials will only last so long, but a couple blast matches or magnesium and steel strikers will last quite a while.

Dang, I dunno, I'm tired ... you guys pick, it all sounds cool.

I do like the way you think Rossi. You are very thorough but I am hung up on the human history a bit and understanding how we existed for many many years before rain gear, mre's, and things. Those thing are awesome, I use them. But I have also learned to make edged tools out of jasper, flint, obsidian. I know the basics of tanning a hide , primitive fire starting .....lost survival techniques. I like and hope for modern amenities but I am not into absolutes so when that stuff runs out then what. Knowledge is what. I use a gps at work.....I depend on it, I also know how to use and carry a map and compass....map and compass never runs out of batteries. Like I said I hope if it goes down we end up in the same camp but plastic will rot, batteries will run out, bullets will run out,mre’s will run out. I strive to know about natural or native if you will ways to sustain existence using what’s around us that is renewable and always attainable that can be made useable with some knowledge and effort..I should go to bed I’m rambling now

Nothing wrong with going that deep into thought Oli.

You guys can bug out all you want, I'm staying put, short of NBC.

If you're talking very long term/rest of your life, while you're pondering everything, think about adding seeds. You gotta have a garden, and plant a whole big row for nothing but the next years seeds so you can replinish them on your own.

I like storing seeds in a glass jar. Double duty for that too.

Can what you can.

doin the can can.

No bug out for me either I am going to be in the place people are going to bug out to and that is going to be a challenge in itself. When I say no bugging out I mean with in a 100 or so mile radius I know like the back of my hand and consider my home

oli700 said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:
It's like I have 2 (soon to be 3) kids sometimes. :lol:
congrats on #2

Thanks. We find out the sex in a few weeks, till then I'm stuck singing my 'let it be a boy' song. :lol: I'd love a girl just as much, but I have 3 sisters and I've seen it all between the 3 of them.

As far as dooms day supplies go; guns, ammo, few different packs filled with basic medical and survival type gear. Just picked up a small camping axe and entrenching tool for one of my packs. Small water purifying pump and a few packs of tablets. Few of those 'shake to charge' and crank style flashlight/radio combos. Have a few basic CB radios laying around I'd probably grab to use to listen for emergency broadcast and gathering points. Looking at picking up a modular type vest and loading a lot of the smaller medical and survival supplies in those. Socks and underwear. You can always hand wash your outer layers, but you can't beat the feeling of a fresh pair of socks and underwear. I'm always picking up things here and there as I see them on sale. It's probably more than I need to have, but I'd rather have options than have to rely on exposing myself to forage for things as long as possible.

I like the idea of learning to tan hides, I may have to pick up a book or two. Could come in handy in a survival situation. Knowing how to tie knots and sew always comes in handy. Electrical engineering is a hobby of mine (I know, I'm a nerd), but knowing some basic circuitry and electrical concepts could go a long way to helping you rig up any useful devices you come across. Like oli said, knowledge is what we'll turn to when the lights go out.

Gentlemen, greetings from TX.
In reading your posts, I have found good ideas and advice. Thank you.
On my behalf, I recommend two books to keep handy.
The first is Modern Reloading, because ammo will not last forever.
The second is Outdoor Medicine, because our bodies are imperfect and sometimes need healing.
I agree that knowledge and skill is primary for survival.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum J.L. !!

When you find the time, please stop by our new members area and tell us a little about yourself !

Back