• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What have you stockpiled for when SHTF

John A. said:
(you can fish for more than just fish too)

^^^please explain....are you talking crawfish and stuff like that?

hmmm. i don't have a darn thing stockpiled... well, i do have some ammo. but only a box of this and a box of that. nothing significant. i need also , to learn how to use a compass and map together.

ripjack13 said:
learn how to use a compass and map together.

http://www.grmirza.com/Be%20Expert%20wi ... ompass.pdf

I leared basics working in the woods but when I bought this book it brought it to another level. I need to break out the book again because its one of those "use it or loose it" things and I gave been running with a real nice Garmin for a few years now :lol: I found this pdf a few months ago...check it out its good skills to have

ripjack13 said:
John A. said:
(you can fish for more than just fish too)

^^^please explain....are you talking crawfish and stuff like that?

Crawdads don't need a hook to be caught. You can do that by just turning over rocks and using your hands to corner them and then pick them up. The pinchers don't really hurt all that much if you do happen to get pinched. But if you get them right behind the head, they usually can't get their pinchers turned around enough to grab you anyway.

For crawdads and minnows, I usually set out a bunch of traps like this. And they taste pretty good boiled with some garlic salt sprinkled on them. Nothing like lobster at all.

Here's a crawdad trap like we have

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/F ... TAodHTMe7Q

But what I meant was you can bait hooks and use to snare (hook) animals just like you can for fish. Just need a small metal string instead of fishing line they could easily bite through.

One really useful thing. An SAS survival guide. Knowing what plants are useful for food or medicine.
I took a survival course years ago- worst part was what bugs you can actually eat- and we didn't have any garlic salt. Seriously- know what you need priorities. 1 shelter.2 water. 3 food. What do you need to have available quickly to secure all 3? Oh- BTW- from one of the other threads- I have put "some" ammo away. I think I went shopping at the same place "Blue" did-LOL.

Back