• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the best scope for a rifle?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am looking to pick up a mossberg 4x4 bolt action and was wondering what members suggested when it came to scopes for a rifle? I know budget plays a big role so if you had a low medium and high choice that would be ideal. I am not sure what my budget is yet for this purchase.

You can easily pay as much if not more for a scope than the cost of the rifle. Leupold is excellent and top of the line as i understand, but also very expensive. I have little experience with scopes, but I do like Bushnell which seems to be a good product for the money.

I'm interested in the feed back also.

What you need to know about a scope is first how much abuse are you going to put it through. The difference between a good scope and an 'ok', or mediocre scope is the reliability after ABUSE. Honestly scopes are very finicky with the system of lenses and the components that go into moving the lenses. Components on a quality scope prevent theses and len cross hairs from being altered when the scope is bumped. Also there is a lot that goes into making sure a good scope is not suceptible to the elements.

Honestly the best name in scopes in my opinion is Leupold - after that there are the more mid-range scopes like Nikon and Tasco. Pay attention to warranties and don't be afraid to buy quality as a quality scope will last a life-time. The technology in these things has stayed relatively the same but the quality of the components, and the experience of the company are ultra important.

I am looking at a budget of around 200-300 for a scope on a mossberg 4x4 that is going to be used at the range for target practice and the occasional hog/deer hunting trip.

For what you're wanting to do you don't need to spend a lot of money.
I have a Simmons 3-10x44 on my .308 that I'm very impressed with for the price. I think they're a little under your budget. For $200 to $300 look at the Nikons. That's probably where I would go if I were looking to spend that price range on a scope. For less money and still a decent scope for your stated purposes my father-in-law has been buying Simmons Prohunters on ebay and gunbroker for really good prices. You could get a few of them for what you're wanting to pay.

There is a huge difference once you get into the higher priced scopes. Do yourself a favor and don't look through any high end glass. What you thought was good will suddenly look like crap. I have a $20 Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x40 on my .30-30 and it works fine for what I do with that gun. I never understood why people paid $100s or $1000s for glass until I shot one of my father-in-law's guns with a Leupold. Suddenly my Tasco looked like crap. Leupold isn't anywhere near the top of the line in glass.

I use a very inexpensive scope on my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06, but it has been perfect for deer hunting. It is a Simmons 2.5-10 power with a 50mm recticle. I strongly recommend the large recticle. It gathers much more light for morning and evening hunts. The scope cost so little I am embarassed to mention the amount, but it stays perfectly sighted in and has caused a deer to hang in my garage each year. :)

Ultimate CC said:
I decided I am going to go with the Redfield Revolution 3-9x50mm scope

http://www.opticsplanet.net/redfield-re ... ticle.html

I just picked up a Redfield Revolution for my Mini 14. My budget was slightly lower and 2-7x33 was good for my needs and the price was right at a local dealer. The glass in these scopes is beautiful and the accu range reticle is nice as well. Mounted it tonight, not sure when I can get out and dial it in..

My documents show that Leupold owns Redfield IIRC.?

Sign up for the free newsletters from SWFA, Optics Planet, Sportsman's Guide, Cabelas, etc. I've bought many great scopes at blowout prices that are otherwise un-advertised except for their E-mail newsletters. Whenever these big outfits get overstocked, etc. and need to move some inventory quick, they put it out there on their newsletters. Doing this doesn't cost them anything and it gets quick results. I've bought many scopes (quality brands) this way with some of them reduced as much as 70%. I just love to buy quality optics cheap!

I have used a lot of scopes from Wally World blister pack to Leupolds high ends. My brother got a new Redfield Revolution and that is what most of my stuff will carry from now on when I have to get one. Great scope, glass, warranty, owned by Leupold, and more than reasonable....did I mention made in USA!

I am hooked on Redfield Revolutions as well! They are awesome scopes.

DHonovich said:
I am hooked on Redfield Revolutions as well! They are awesome scopes.

I recently checked one of these out at my newest latest and greatest LGS!!! (Awesome to finally have an LGS close to home and not 40 miles away!) I was lookin cuz each of the rifles I've been lookin at have scope mounts and no irons at all. Sux, but I really liked the Redfield!

Back