• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is the purpose of the spring in the barrel lug?

So I am very curious of what it's exact purpose is?
The gas piston is in the rear part of the barrel lug (facing the action) and that is also where the gas ports are.
the barrel lug then has the front half, that seems to be completely separate from the rear half.
It has a sealing ring and the very large extremely stiff spring.
I assumed the sealing ring was just to seal the gas on the mag tube to keep it going backwards towards the piston and not out the front.

So is the spring there just to keep that sealing ring in place? Or does it have some other purpose? If it is just to hold the sealing ring in place, why could that not be done with a simple threaded spacer?

Or does it actually serve some type of a function in the gas system as acting like some type of a gas pressure buffer?
Just really trying to understand it's purpose.

I recently purchased a 930 slug gun and the spring had a burr on it that was scratching the mag tube. I used a c-clamp and other tools to remove it, clean up the burr, and then reinstall it without much trouble.
While I had it apart it was just the threaded retainer, the spring, and the sealing ring. nothing else to it. That is what got me wondering about it's actual purpose.
My 930 spx has been fine and it did not have any burrs.

Back