• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is your favorite shotgun deer gear?

Saltmarsh

.270 WIN
I live in Palmettos, scrub oaks, and salt marshes. The average "clear" shot for me is about 45-60yds. I take my A1 with 00 3" chambered, and a few slugs in my pocket. So what do you all carry?

I grew up hunting in Southeastern Ohio, which was shotgun only with slugs during firearm season. Very hilly terrain and lots of ravines and ridges, mostly shots under 50-60 yards. So I never got a chance to use buckshot. I found slugs to work great so I would be really comfortable sticking with slugs.

I'm kinda partial to them. Even though I've been thrilled with Federal 00 Buckshot Low Recoil Tactical w/ Flite-Control wad (for SD work), I keep only slugs in my duty shotgun.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing not hunting with buckshot! :)

Nitesite, I just returned to land hunting after a 15 year dry spell. I walk the woods, no sitting. I figure I may get one to pop up, the buckshot increases my hit possibilities. I hunt in a very thick rarely traveled area, lots of water, and tracks, but few folks.

SM,

I believe that for your quarry and hunting method and terrain, a 3" load of buck is just the ticket! I bet your whitetails are about the same size as we see here in North AL. Snap shots on running deer are extremely tough, that's for sure!

Land hunting, does that mean you have been a waterfowler? That's something I never managed to experience.

Some of the deer have some size. I have a 180 lb English Mastiff that gets nervous this time of year :mrgreen:

I walk too, but south western Ohio! I stalk and dont care if i get something or not! I just like bein in the woods!!!

But for deer; 500 or 590A1 and slugs. Long shots would be 60 to 70 yards, but most places are 50 or a little less.

While I'm not a great hunter, I can hunt. Generally though, we go hunting to take long walks through the woods! ;)

In Pennsylvania, where whitetail abound, it's very easy to kick up a deer while walking, as some will wait to the last minute, thinking they are well hidden...then bolt in front of you.

It's very rare for me to use a shotgun to hunt deer...tho there have been special PA Game Commission hunts in semi-populated areas that you are only allowed a shotgun with buckshot, to prevent misses from leaving the woods and endangering the population as well as property.

I usually stick with my Winchester 1894 in .30WCF. It has never let me down, with most snap shots well within 100 yards.

Saltmarsh said:
I figure I may get one to pop up, the buckshot increases my hit possibilities.

The flip side to that is you have a greater chance to wound and not kill.....not being critical just wondering. What kind of barrel/choke does the A1 have ?
Not telling you how to do it but if you only have the cylinder choke and your average clear shot is 45-60 yards why are messing with 00 buck ?
I know one can take 00 out to those yards but with a full choke barrel.
If you jump one up closer you might get lucky but if you see one 40 yards and want to put in a slug he will be gone....unless he in rut or something that makes them dumb. Also if your clear shots are around 45 to 60 yards and you jump one up close the slug will have a better chance of penetrating brush and making the kill and since you have to aim either way I see no advantage to buck in the brush other than one might squeak through and score a hit….Or I could be wrong I use a 30-06 lol.

Points well taken on the slug oli700, a humane harvest should be every hunters number one priority.
Nitesite, I spearfish a lot, so that is my type of hunting. I do pass up big fish, if I know I can not get a kill shot on them. I hate seeing Hail Mary's (long guess shots hopping to hit) and fish getting away wounded.

Back