• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What kind of ears are you running ?

Thanx oli. Fortunately I still hear fairly well. The damage causes constant ringing. I actually sort of "forget" about it for periods of time; now while I am writing I am very aware of it.
Another weird phenomenon is that the sound of running water, like faucets, waterfalls, rivers, surf, etc, seem to have masked voices in the background. Yes, I hear voices. :) But they are at a "volume' just low enuff I can't "understand " them. That's probably a good thing.

My serious advice is to use adequate ear protection. Guns, bombs, heavy machinery, impact tools, engines. And to my fellow motorcycle riders... wind noise is worse than exhaust. Plug up!
upload_2016-5-7_20-26-17.jpeg

I'm like you Scoop... My hearing is Ok but I do have Tinutus (ringing in the ears). You forget about it until its quiet, or you think about it. Its also made worse if you're tired or sick.

Also like you, I find background noise, like water running, affects how i can hear conversations.

Too much unprotected blank firing on military exercises many years ago, and too much loud music.. :D

SAY WHAT:::

When shooting alone... foam plugs. My ears don't match so only foam will stay in tightly :(
When shooting in close proximity to others... ELECTRONIC TopShot Competition or Caldwell (especially when around new shooters on family day at the range, I want to hear that something dumb is about to happen so I can react before it does) :eek:

Last edited:
I use foam inserts in conjunction with a set of HL Impact Sports with the volume turned about a quarter the way up. Even then, I still get a little ringing from indoor ranges. I have sensitive hearing despite all the damage I did to my ears in my younger days, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Go forward to about 4:30 to get that it's all about a shooting video on The History Channel with the Gunny and then freeze the vid at 5:00-5:01

Gunny has this hearing protection question nailed.... For REAL

Don't use .45 ACP brass. Gunny doesn't either. [but the video isn't a good message]

From another forum:
This trick is likely as old as the .45acp round itself. Does it work? Eh? What's that? Speak up! Not very well. I even tried myself at the Auberry range a few years ago when I left my ears and my backup ears at home. It's a b****!
Some of the old timers do it to look the part, but even using live rounds with projectile inwards still hurts.
Funny thing I saw on a YouTube video from range day at the SHOT show was a Japanese film crew in total awe taping The Gunny who was there promoting Glocks. They interviewed him and noticed he had .45 brass in his ears and zoomed in. Gunny sheepishly removed one and showed he had a disposable foamy earplug inside the brass!! He made a remark about saving what little hearing he had left. It was a stroke of brilliance! Look like John Wayne with brass in the ears but discreetly saving the hearing! Who doesn't love the Gunny! Been meaning to try that sometime. Looks double cool.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=759259

I use peltor tactical 100's. 22 rating, good seal. They have improved from my other pair. Easy battery change, 2 hour auto shut off.

For now, just a little foam safety ones. Cheap, and easy. And not that bad rating. And eventually going to buy we Howard leight impact sports, but the Amazon price jumps all over the place. were on sale for 39 bucks, went back to get them they were up to 55., So I'm waiting for them to come back down.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

For now, just a little foam safety ones. Cheap, and easy. And not that bad rating. And eventually going to buy we Howard leight impact sports, but the Amazon price jumps all over the place. were on sale for 39 bucks, went back to get them they were up to 55., So I'm waiting for them to come back down.

If you want, you can get them now for $43.77. They may not get much cheaper. I have been using them for about 4 years. They are great for pistol shooting at
an outdoor range. Indoors, you need the foam plugs too. Maybe it's just me, but even with their slim profile, I have trouble getting a good cheek weld with them when shooting rifles. But still better than the full size muffs.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...06&sr=8-3&keywords=howard+leight+impact+sport

If you want, you can get them now for $43.77. They may not get much cheaper. I have been using them for about 4 years. They are great for pistol shooting at
an outdoor range. Indoors, you need the foam plugs too. Maybe it's just me, but even with their slim profile, I have trouble getting a good cheek weld with them when shooting rifles. But still better than the full size muffs.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...06&sr=8-3&keywords=howard+leight+impact+sport
Thanks! Will finally have to splurge. I have never used the electronic ones before, can't wait to try it.

SAY WHAT:::

When shooting alone... foam plugs. My ears don't match so only foam will stay in tightly :(
When shooting in close proximity to others... ELECTRONIC TopShot Competition or Caldwell (especially when around new shooters on family day at the range, I want to hear that something dumb is about to happen so I can react before it does) :eek:
I originally posted on this topic back in May 2016 but I wanted to add that I don't wear any extra "ears" when hunting in the great outdoors. The ones I was born with still do the job and besides I like hearing the sound of my mother's voice... Mother Nature that is. The sound emmitted by my 30.06 or .308 is diffused pretty much by the wide open spaces so I'm not really too concerned about inner ear damage although I probably should be. Foam doesn't let me hear anything and electronic sometimes picks up too much and distorts what I am really trying to hear... like the cracking twigs, dry leaves or crunching snow. :lol:

I've been using "Radian" moldables for a few years now. https://www.radians.com/radsite/ind...-products/item/radians-custom-molded-earplugs. At first it seems weird jamming the uncured earplug into your ear, but once set, they slip in very easily and literally fill your entire ear. And they work very well.

The claim of all day comfort is accurate. I have forgotten I have them in.

They come in different colors, I got a set of red and blue, which make two pair. Made the right ears out of red, and left ears blue. This way I can tell at a glace which one goes where.

Back