• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Not to Buy Your Gun Girl for Christmas

Like all the remaining members of my family, I only get/ give cash or gift cards for my 2 grandkids, because their wants or needs change daily. The grown ups all work or are retired,so we just buy for ourselves, what we need or want when we need it or want it. This system has been in place in some form for decades in our family.

Kathy earned her Doctorate Degree recently. So I went to a monument place and ordered a black granite nameplate to go on her desk. It will have Dr. before her name and ED.D after. Luckily, they actually located one at another monument company in Birmingham. All they could find was ONE.​

Did you know that there is NO black granite in any quarry in the USA? Or dark marble. It all comes from overseas. So most ordered items (headstones, urns, etc) can take up to a year to arrive before going to the stone mason for cutting?

So it will definitely be a unique item that you can't just go out and buy. It weighs 16 pounds! So she can beat students with it.....

And I certainly wasn't going to go to Staples or Office Depot and have some cheap plastic one made with an ugly gold anodized nameplate glued to it.

30 years ago when I met my wife I was working as an engineer for a company which put a lot of stone cladding on large, high-rise buildings.

Very little of it came from our local quarries. Most of the stone we received was quarried overseas and cut in Germany.

Of course shipping times were long and delivery damages were not uncommon. The architect often rejected stones that looked odd or non-conforming.

For Christmas that year I bought my boss an imported marble desk set.

The big joke was that it all matched, it didn’t arrive broken, and it showed up on time.

Back