• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What say ye...

Shore-T

Copper BB
Suggestions for home defense configuration are requested. My Maverick 88 20 gauge is intended for purely under the bed home defense. Trying to decide if the pistol grip, full stock (current configuration), or folding stock are more effective for home defense? Would like to hear pros and cons. Thanks to all so far, for the pertinent and useful information provided. Best. Shorty sends...Flag.jpg

Think a lot depends on your approach to home defense. Many barricade themselves and family in a single room and rely on law enforcement response to clear the property. In this case, a full stocked shotgun is an ideal weapon.

Others plan to take a more active response to a threat up to clearing rooms. If this is your approach to home defense the layout and location of your house will likely dictate the type of shotgun (barrel length) best for your situation. Just remember clearing rooms sounds attractive but it's one of the most dangerous things an untrained person can attempt. Not to say it's not a good approach but it takes hours of both initial and recurring training to be confident plus it's not really a one person task. If your wife is going to be your partner in home defense and room clearing then you both must be trained and practice together. And you will likely find the second person has the most difficult job in clearing rooms. Plus your house layout will typically dictate the barrel length best suited for the task.

If the latter is your approach take your current shotgun and walk through your house both in daylight and at night with your weapons light to see if it works. A shotgun with an 18 1/5 inch barrel is typically good for most home defense tasks. But if your approach is clear rooms you must consider what weapons work best for both you and your wife.

The other consideration is ammo type which is a differrent discussion but totally different if you live in a rural single family house vice an intercity apartment with 2x4 walls.

Lots of things to consider. Good luck.

I am assuming you mean a pistol grip without the shoulder stock.

I don't like pistol grips on HD gun. I want something I can shoulder and aim. Pistol grips just add more variables to the mix and I want my 'Oh Sheet' gun to be as simple as possible for me to use. I've never been able to shoot a pistol grip comfortably, don't want to try in a stressed life or death situation.

A short stocked, 18-20" barreled gun is very maneuverale in all but the smallest of places and offers much more controlled recoil

YMMV

I would use a cut shortened version of a full stock. They are the best solution.

Pistol grips are just terrible unless you are within ten feet.

Folding stocks are 1) either flimsy and cheap, or 2) quite expensive but of good "rock solid" quality and still give you are terrible cheek weld.

I tried the shockwave grip. I gave it a fair and impartial test run and at the end of the day, I wasn't a very big fan. I just couldn't aim it very well. And the recoil is VERY different when it's not stabilized on your shoulder. And my follow up shots were much slower.

So, my 2cents are going to say "stock". You can still shoot it from the hip or odd angles and positions without shouldering it if the need arises.

I have a shockwave grip for sale in the marketplace of the forum.

FWIW, if I hear a noise that I shouldn't be hearing, I clear my own house. The whole territorial junkyard dog instinct kicks in and takes over.

Also, wanted to add this video, Clint has a great way of showing the internet how full of crap it is. The video is very short and puts different lengths into perspective.

Love Clint!! He info is blunt and based on experience with no BS. I've learned a ton from his videos over the years.

The Hogue 12" LOP with a short barrel makes for a very nice gun. If anything too short to really get the 'wing shooting' cheak weld. Works best with a squared up stance.

Gentlemen thank you ALL for the comprehensive and well thought out suggestions. FWIW I have a good amount of experience with weapons, tactics and urban engagements. However I wanted to make sure that my 'go to' home defense weapon provides adequate flexibility to members of my household. Fortunately I live on Base, so security is pretty good, but when the SHTF I'm sure it will be a different landscape. I plan on purchasing a second Maverick 88 (20 gauge) for use by my wife (when I can find one). You know what they say one is zero, two is one. Again thanks for taking the time to opine. Best. Shorty sends...

Attachments

• Flag.jpg
    Flag.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
I have to go with the original configuration. I find it difficult to hit what I am aiming at with a pistol grip only setup. And hitting what I am aiming at is a very high priority for home defense. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have to go with the original configuration. I find it difficult to hit what I am aiming at with a pistol grip only setup. And hitting what I am aiming at is a very high priority for home defense. Take care. Tom Worthington

Tom396 thanks, sage advice. FWIW, I ran a "drill" last night as suggested by a prior member in the house, lights off and such. I was able to effectively maneuver within the home with the weapon configured in a stock state without any issues. I ran the same drill using the weapon mounted light and had zero issues. Weapon control (due to length) was not as bad as I had thought it would be. I believe, I have found Nirvana! Thank you all for so much information, without any heckling. All the best to all. Be safe, stay alert. Best. Shorty sends...

Thank you all for so much information, without any heckling. All the best to all. Be safe, stay alert. Best. Shorty sends...

You asked a sincere question and you got sincere answers. But, at any time, we still reserve the right to heckle. :jester::nana::wow::lol:

That's just how it is here. We can tease and rib each other in a light hearted manner because there's a lot of great guys here who share common interests. Many of these men would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it. So, stick around. You'll fit in just fine.

And for what it's worth, we are gun guys in general. Not just mossberg stuff as one may expect. I would be somewhat surprised if someone could ask a question about anything gun related and not have an answer within 24 hours.

Shorty, glad this is working out for you. Just one other thought on shotgun grips.

If you ever have an opportunity fire both a Pistol grip and Shockwave grip wespon and you will immediately see the difference. I'm an old guy who lives with some nasty preditiors including cougars and bears. I carry a Shockwave and a Glock 10mm daily as I work outside on the property and in the woods. I've shot 3 inch Brenneke bear loads from the Shockwave. Something I would not do with a Pistol grip weapon.

Again, welcome to the forum and folks here are always willing to help. As John said, decades of experience across all types of weapons and situations.

Regards

I would never trade a point of contact for a shorter length. My HD shotgun is a Maverick 88 youth model in 20 gauge. I like the shorter stock (and I'm not a little guy) and the 22 inch barrel. In that configuration it is only 1/2 inch longer than the Maverick Security model with a 18.5 inch barrel. It is nice and compact.

I like a full or cut-down stock because it is easier to aim/handle prone and the butt end can be a weapon if ammo is out...

I would never trade a point of contact for a shorter length. My HD shotgun is a Maverick 88 youth model in 20 gauge. I like the shorter stock (and I'm not a little guy) and the 22 inch barrel. In that configuration it is only 1/2 inch longer than the Maverick Security model with a 18.5 inch barrel. It is nice and compact.

Choctaw, I just gave one of my sons that very model of Maverick. It is an excellent HD gun in my opinion.

Also, welcome.

Back