• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What to do??

Looks great!

Now all you need is to run a bunch of ammo through it. We're lookin forward to your range report...

Before I became a member, I sent Mossberg an email regarding replacement barrels. I'm glad I joined this sight because you guys directed me to contact customer service to place an order, immediately.

I received a reply yesterday, directing me to call customer service. They must be really busy because my the reply was two weeks later.

Again, thanks for the help..

Made a trip to an indoor range, yesterday with my 930, Supernova Tactical, and Hi Point 995.

I was unhappy with the 930 performance. First, it did not autoload a single round. I had to pull the charging handle to eject and load each 2 3/4 shell (slugs). Also, my 18.5 security barrel (bead) shot VERY HIGH on every shot. Initially, I thought it was something I was doing. I fired 7 slugs from the Benelli, and I was spot on.

Any suggestions?

I assumed the problems would come from the 995, but the booger did pretty good. One magazine worked flawlessly, and the other needs some tweaking.

Did the charging handle reciprocate at all?

If not, there is likely something installed improperly in the piston assembly. Does each barrel have its own piston or are you sharing one between both barrels? If the bolt is reciprocating but not grabbing the shell, then that is most likely an ammo issue. If you were using the same ammo with both barrels, then to me that points back to the piston assembly.

As for the bead sight shooting high, it may just be due to the difference in sight height/sight picture compared to the Williams sights on your other barrel. Make sure you're bringing the receiver up high enough to level out the sight plane. Try adjusting your sight picture until you can only see the top 2/3 of the bead over the rear of the receiver...

I remembered pulling the charging handle, aiming, and squeezing the trigger. I don't recall, pulling and riding the charging handle, so I'm guessing it was reciprocal.

If something is wrong with the piston assembly what should I look for?
I'm sharing assembly for both barrels. I didn't think anything extra is needed. Just a simple barrel switch.

Do you think a bigger bead would help? The bead is small, and 2/3 of that size is a challenge for my vision.

Thank you for your detailed advice.

What I was asking is whether or not the bolt was being pushed back when you fired or if it wasn't moving at all.

If it wasn't moving, then the piston assembly/gas system is the likely culprit. If the bolt is being pushed back but not extracting the cartridge, then it is more likely an ammo related issue.

One barrel is working and the other is not, correct? You're using them on the same receiver, yes?

Ok, I got you. No, the bolt remained in place, after firing a shell. Yesterday was my first time shooting the 930, and I didn't switch back to the 24 inch barrel because I knew something was off. Plus, the range charges $18/hr, and I didn't want to break anything down while on the clock.

OK. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to eliminate variables.

Did the 18.5" barrel come with its own gas piston? If not, you would have needed to use the piston from the original factory barrel. Without it the bolt will not cycle at all effectively turning your shotgun into a single shot. I would suggest taking the barrel off to see if anything is missing. If you need help you can post pictures and we can take a look...

No problem, and I appreciate the help. There was nothing included with the 18.5 barrel. I will double cbeck the 24 inch barrel.

No problem.

I have a feeling the 18.5" barrel is missing the gas piston. I just pulled one of mine apart so you can get a visual. This is the part that I think is missing...

930 gas piston 1.jpg

930 gas piston 2.jpg

Yep, there was no gas piston in the 18.5 barrel. I pulled the gas piston out of the 24 and plugged it in.

Making a return range visit at the end of the week, and I will post an update.

Again, thanks for your assistance, and patience.

Do you think a bigger bead would help? The bead is small, and 2/3 of that size is a challenge for my vision.

A taller/larger bead should help.

Meprolight makes a great tritium bead for Mossberg barrels. It's taller and wider than the factory bead. It appears as a large white dot in the light with the added benefit of glowing in the dark for low light or no light applications. It's mfg part # ML34044 and can be had for around $30...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-tru-dot-shotgun-night-sights-for-mossberg-shotguns.html

Yep, there was no gas piston in the 18.5 barrel. I pulled the gas piston out of the 24 and plugged it in.

Making a return range visit at the end of the week, and I will post an update.

Again, thanks for your assistance, and patience.

Yup, that should do it! :D

Glad to see it was something simple and we could get you moving in the right direction. Make sure you have some higher velocity ammo for the shorter barrel, in the 1350-1400 fps range. The 18.5" barrel will likely need a little more gas pressure to get the piston moving compared to your longer barrel...

My 930 with the 18.5 inch barrel functions fine with target loads rated at 1200 fps. Regarding sights I use a red dot and am able to shoot trap with good results. I did have the barrel threaded for chokes and use a full choke when shooting trap.

I am good at finding old threads... I've been looking at my 930 lately and wanting a 18.5" barrel for it. Does anyone know where I can find a 93020 for it? The Mossberg site lists it as out of stock... Although I have not called customer service directly yet. Also for my wishes, to be able to find the barrel (new) for the price listed in this thread at $164.27

Debay has been doing a brisk biz in barrels but expect to pay inflated LoSaD pricing on one, at least $200... There is also GB you could try.

Back