• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's in your turkey vest?

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
I thought this would be a good topic of conversation so I posted. Typically if you have a group of turkey hunters together and you ask this question, you get all sorts of answers and sometimes arguements, so here goes.
My favorite call is a slate type call. I typically carry at least 4 different ones with different surfaces. My favorite by far and the one that has called in more birds that I can count is a Hunter's Specialties Black Magic aluminum call. I carry around a 1/2 dozen strikers as well. I use mouth calls and prefer the Primo's Double stack calls. I usually have 4 of these type calls in my vest. I don't have alot of luck with locator calls, but I typically have a crow call with me. I carry a call conditioning kit with sandpaper, diamond stone, scotchbrite pad, and box call chalk. I carry a box call, but rarely use it and have had more success locating a bird with it than anything else.
Gloves, face mask, TP, small package wet wipes, lighter, GPS, flashlight, extra batteries, water, 2 Payday bars, a turkey tote, small cloth tape measure, small waterproof notepad, small sharpie marker, hunting license, hunter ed card and 4 extra shells. Most things have their own pockets on my vest and when the pockets are full, I take something out before putting somethind else in.

Surely there are other turkey hunters that could chime in here...

Didn't see the topic until Dhonovich bumped it.

homemade slate calls using a turtle shell sound chamber w/several various sticks
primos crow locator mouth call
an old wooden call that functions the same as a wingbone caller
a flextone magnum strutter box call

Here I am......

I don't have vest, I have a speed seat from Cabelas. Its just a 3" padded foam cushion attached to a belt with pouches.
In it is the following.

Waterbottle, first aid kit. 12" knife. Binoculars. Carrying strap. Box of ammo. One Quaker Boy Magic touch slate. And 2 strikers.....that's it..I don't use mouth calls cuz they make me gag. I do plan on getting a box call soon...

*disclaimer:
Mine isn't a vest either. It's more of an old camouflage pouch that you can wear on a belt.

snap button closure (no velcro on my hunting gear).

I've got a Primos vest that performs double duty for deer hunting as well.

I've never thought much about it but when I write it all out ot seems like alot of stuff. My normal turkey hunting load contains the following:

1 x Box call + chalk
1 x push botton friction call (sometimes, I don't always carry this.)
2 x slate/glass calls + 2-3 strikers
scouring pad to rough up the slate
emory cloth for glass/crystal calls
4+ mouth calls
Crow locater call
Owl Locater call
1-3 turkey decoys (varies based on setup)
Large garbage bag
couple of ziplock bags
couple of zip ties
several pastic bags from grocery store (work great for keeping decoys puffed out)

compass
couple of knives
extra batteries for the video camera (amount varies with temp and time out in the field)
flashlight
Paracord
bottle of water
couple of power bars
2-way radio
camera
small pocket tripod
Handwarmers (if it's cold enough)
mesh gloves
mesh headnet
Thermocell (if the bugs are out)
Basic emergency tools for my bow (when bowhunting)
Cell Phone
Seat pad (attaches to the back of the vest)
Lightweight hunters orange vest and or hat

I will add or exclude things based on how I'm hunting that day, weather, etc.

Holy gagets Batman!!

Does that thermocell really work? And does it keep gnats away? I hate those things!!! STAY OUTA MY EYEBALLS YOU ******!!!!

I carry quite a bit around, although never before in a vest. Now I've got one :D

Calls:
2 box calls
slate call with several strikers
owl locator call
lots of chalk

Also:
Buck Knife
Flashlight
Extra ammo
3 turkey decoys
gloves
mask
cell phone
binoculars

I think that's everything, I may edit this after the season when I get some real world experience with my vest. I have many more pockets to fill! Before it was always a pain to carry stuff around, now it should be easy. I'm also going to use this vest for flintlock season. I carry a bunch of s**t around then as well, and think a vest will make it easier for sure!

Edit: +1 rep point to Mike for being prepared for anything!

ripjack13 said:
Holy gagets Batman!!

Does that thermocell really work? And does it keep gnats away? I hate those things!!! STAY OUTA MY EYEBALLS YOU ******!!!!

I got a thermocell last year and that thing is awesome. Works great, it and it's components are lightweight. Get one, you won't be dissapointed.

ripjack13 said:
Holy gagets Batman!!

Not sure about gnats but on mosquitos you bet they work. Absolutely without question the best $25 I've ever spent on a outdoor accessory. The first time I used it was on a Canadian beer hunting trip and IMHO it paid for itself right there. At one point I questioned whether it was working. It didn't take long after turning it off to see just how well it was working.

They work best with minimal wind but you can make it work by placing it a bit upwind if there is a slight breeze. Sometimes you have to be creative. Even partially effective is better then nothing.

If you get one spend the extra $10 to get the holder for it. It's fabric thingie that has straps to hold it to your stand as well and a couple pockets to hold extra pads and fuel cartridges

For anyone that has one and doesn't know this, they use the same butane cartridges as some of the portable curling irons and the replacments can be found cheaper in the hair care portion of Walmart or wherever cheaper than they can if you buy the Thermocell brand. ;)

MikeD said:
The first time I used it was on a Canadian beer hunting trip and IMHO it paid for itself right there. At one point I questioned whether it was working. It didn't take long after turning it off to see just how well it was working.

My kind of hunting trip.

Canadian beer :mrgreen:

John A. said:
MikeD said:
The first time I used it was on a Canadian beer hunting trip and IMHO it paid for itself right there. At one point I questioned whether it was working. It didn't take long after turning it off to see just how well it was working.

My kind of hunting trip.

Canadian beer :mrgreen:

Must have been a Freudian slip. I indeed saw much more Canadian beer than bear. LOL

Oh man...I wana go on a beer hunting trip too!!

Me too! I plan on going on a beer hunting trip as soon as I leave this non-alchoholic country in June! :D
I will probably find one as soon as I land in Europe!

I hear the wild beer run rampent around Europe. I'm sure you'll find plenty of trophy beers.

ripjack13 said:
I hear the wild beer run rampent around Europe. I'm sure you'll find plenty of trophy beers.

Of all the places I've beer hunted, Germany had the best trophies. ;)

My wife got me a cabelas vest a couple of years ago which is similar to their tactical tctr 2 vest, and my gosh I just keep putting more stuff in it. And Im going out this thursday and friday cant wait
6 shells
1 head lamp
2 slate calls 2 strikers
1 rain gear
1 area map
1 sand paper
4 mouth calls
1 box call
1 push button call
2 crow calls
1 hooter
1 chalk
1 compass
1 gps
2 decoys
extra batteries for my red dot
4 extra aa for gps and head lamp
bug spray
zip ties
1 sharpie
2 bottles of water
4 granola bars
cell phone
at least 10 hard candies (im diabetic)
1 extra face net
2 knives
I think thats it?? i wonder if i can get a sleeping bag in there!!

I just looked at my picture and the compass in the pict is the one I bring along. And that is my most prized possession in that vest, it was my dads boy scout compass from when he was a kid.

Back