• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's the minimum size land for hunting??

Oh lord, I really hope you all say that 10 acres is enough. I've never been hunting, but my husband has..and as you all know we have 4 boys who I'm sure would enjoy it later on. My dilemma is the fact that my husband placed a bid on ebay for 10 acres of land!!! He wanted 20+ acres but thought the deal was too good to pass up. Please tell me it's enough land to enjoy! :? I can handle your honest opinions, let me have it. What's your thoughts? I really want to know one way or the other, because if we get outbid, I need to know whether it's a good idea to increase my bid or to just leave it be (he bid on it before telling me!! eeeek!)

It's 10 acres, wooded. $16,000. It's located in Northeast TX a little less than 5 hours from us. No restrictions.

If you're hunting small game, that's MORE than enough. If you're looking to do some deer hunting though, it'll be touchy. The reason I say this is because deer like to stay in an area that gives them everything they need. Cover, food and a place to rut and run around. If this 10 acres is surrounded by farm land (corn fields, soy bean fields, ect) then you'd probably be good to go just making sure they had enough wooded cover. If it's surrounded by lots of wooded area, you're going to want to dedicate at least 4-5 acres of this land to planting some feed area.

It really just depends on what's around the property and how the property is managed. There are plenty of companies out there that offer advice/services to set up proper land management for hunting. Maybe take a few hours and dedicate it to doing some research on game management. Or better yet, just give the land to me and I'll let you come hunt it any time! :lol:

Good to know. I know there are lots of acres around it and there is a seasonal creek or something right by it. I think most of it is pretty wooded around it as well. My husband wants to hunt deer as well as other stuff....just lovely that it may not be suited for that....or perhaps it will with a little work from what I can tell by what you're saying. I may not beat him up now, we'll see, lol. The listing is over tomorrow evening so I guess I'll know by then! ha. I don't mind sharing if you wanna split the payment with me :mrgreen: It will be $150 a month. lol. $75 for each of us isn't bad. :lol:

Parcel Size - 10 Acres m/l
Terrain - Flat to Sloping Towards Creek; Creek Branch
Vegetation - Mostly Heavy Tree Coverage; Brushy In Areas
Zoning/Restrictions - No applicable zoning
Roads - Dirt Roads (Gets Muddy During Rainy Season)
Electric - Approximately 1/2 mile
Sewer - Septic Needed for Residence
Water - Well Needed for Residence/ Rural Water Not Available
Phone - Available
Property Tax - Estimated $50 yearly
Association Fees - None

Without actually seeing it, but based on your description, I'd say lighten the wooded cover near the creek area up a little, plant some tall grasses. On the other end of the property, away from the creek do a few acres of corn or acorn trees (spread out enough to provide open shooting lanes). Deer LOVE acorns. Border it with tall grasses leading into thicker cover. Again, without seeing it this is just a real basic description of what you'd want to do, but there are far more experienced people than I in game management that may have other/better ideas for you.

Acorns? Usually they're a roundish shape with a little cap and stem on them. :lol: Seriously though, I thought I asked that but I guess I just imagined typing it. What oli said.

Oh boy...I just looked at the shape for the first time....I hope this is what you meant you wanted to know. Is this good or bad?!?!?

Attachments

• #07306 GPSa.jpg
    #07306 GPSa.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 645
Well I ain't no dummy pants! That could work in your favor, and it could not. It really just depends on where the deer are naturally bedding out there. With that creek running through the (I'm assuming top of picture is north) south east part of the property you could easily put a food plot in there and use the upper part of the L as thick cover and the lower part as light cover/more feeding. Looks like lots of trees all around so your biggest goal will be just attracting them onto YOUR property. Keep in mind that young deer, esp. males, will usually leave after a year or two of being born. Again, it's all about location and making the deer happy. From those pictures, it looks like it'd be off to a good start. With a little effort, mainly clearing and bringing in food plots and/or mechanical feeders, you could be pulling big old bucks out of there.

I wouldn’t say bad. L shape, narrow and long shooting lanes. Looks like a creek passes through the south west corner so that’s good. Also a confluence of three creeks just to the west of the North West corner. Looks like you have a knob in the upper north portion so a little high ground that overlooks the area near the confluence and the flat to the south. Looks like gradual slopes as there isn’t a lot of elevation change in the contour lines. In the south east portion looks a little more interesting as far as topography , couple little finger ridges but likely gradual , I can’t see enough of the map to tell what the contour intervals are but judging what I can see it looks easy to hike. Judging by the topo map and the aerial photo it looks like a pipe line of some sort passes through the lower South portion and a road that travels along a ridgeline comes in at the north east corner of the lower section….whatever they are there has been a right of way maintained…usually some sort of utility, or road.

It looks almost like a Level B access road, but yea, that picture isn't too helpful. Could just be a public stream though, which would mean where ever the water rises to it's highest NATURAL (read: not flood) state could be accessed by anyone. It's definitely worth looking into a little more, but if everything is right for what you guys need, I'd say pull the trigger.

Wow, I really don't know how you guys gathered all that info from that 1 picture. lol. I guess it's "what you do" and yall are just knowledgeable. All the help was great, thanks. I guess I won't freak too much if we get it, we'll just have to make it our own!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
It looks almost like a Level B access road.
Actually the more I look at it I don’t think it’s a road, most of the time on a topo roads are double dash lines like the one to the North and South East of the property, there is also one directly to the west that comes down a ridge some….Oh and little black squares on a topo are usually structures, likely but not always homes .White squares usually are structures that aren’t homes like barns, sheds and things like that.I see 5 structures.

BTW what is level B access road, like a power line road ? I know there are different terms for things in different parts of the country

A level b road is essentially a dirt road that is kept trimmed, but they don't really do much to maintain it outside of removing grass to keep it clear. You see them a lot here in the Midwest to access remote farm land or over flow ponds.

EDIT: http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/symbols/ <--- USGS Topo Map Legend. That map quality isn't the greatest, but I think you're right about the power line or pipe line (underground).

It looks good to me from the description.

I certainly hope you'll let us know tonight whether you got it or not.

I live on 5 acres and could easily get all the deer and turkey I wanted on my land.

You all are so helpful! Thank you, I'm feeling better about it. The auction is over around 6pm CST so ill def keep you posted. There was another map type thing that showed houses and structures, it had arrows pointing to each thing labeling what it was. I'll try to post that pic soon.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
A level b road is essentially a dirt road that is kept trimmed, but they don't really do much to maintain it outside of removing grass to keep it clear. You see them a lot here in the Midwest to access remote farm land or over flow ponds.

EDIT: http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/symbols/ <--- USGS Topo Map Legend. That map quality isn't the greatest, but I think you're right about the power line or pipe line (underground).

Ahh, maps are sometimes wrong. better to see the ledgend thats attached to the map, a lot of times ,out here, the map maker chooses some interesting ways of specing a map.

Back