• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's "wrong" with the 464

Well, I guess I need to try to set up this here tablet thing and see if I can actually get a couple images that can demonstrate (uh, illustrate?) the relative positions. A video of the hammer falling with the tang safety clearly in the ON position (fully rearward) would be even better but I don't use my phone's camera a lot. I've also read info about the hammer being of the "rebounding type", which is yet another term I need to further research.

BTW, the stock needs to be removed to see the action & blocking function of the tang safety.

Cheers!

I can be a very long-winded fellow but if you haven’t read through all my posts about the 464 mods that I did, you might find them interesting. Hopefully you will find them all unnecessary. I had lots of issues.

I’ve had three or four different scope mounts I modded to fit, and I did quite a bit of polishing to the action. It works great now with the proper ammunition. I’ve tried some custom loads, but it won’t feed just anything.

But there were several big issues with mine, and I discussed them all in detail here in the 464 threads. You’ll have to look back a few years to see, because as I said, I haven’t played with that gun in quite a while.

Once I got it broken in and running good, I oiled it up and put it away.

I always meant to take it out again though, because I never did make any custom loads for it that were better than the factory loads I could buy, and this always ticked me off.

I look back and it appears I bought that gun in the middle of 2015. It’s been longer than I thought since I’ve had it out for some exercise.

Also to add to the other answers, I have never had an issue with my 464 SPX. I've read about stringing issues. I've read of extractors breaking. I've read of feed issues, but haven't had a single issue out of my very early model 464 SPX. Maybe because it is an early model, or maybe because it is an SPX not a regular 464. But as far as my gun goes, it worked well after about a 100 round break in period. It has very good accuracy. I would definitely agree that you should read some of the older posts. I haven't shot mine in a while due to ammo shortage issue and buying an AR 15 a few years ago. But in short I have never had an issue with my 464. Still one of my favorite guns that I own. It has lots of personality and plenty of power and accuracy. Check out my pictures in the accuracy subforum and pictures of the old girl. I've owned it since 2012.

Thanks for the heads-up. With only 136 threads on this sub-forum I'll try and work my way through them in the next week, or so...

Always looking for those gems of information other's experiences can often provide.

Cheers!

P.S. I notice there is no dedicated reloading sub-forum: where's the best place to go for that kind of discussion?

So, Scoop, Thanks for the Welcome!

Just how far east of Cheatham County ( where hickok45 hails from) are you? Used to drive through the beautiful State of TN en route from Dayton (Ohio, not TN) to Florida for years and years before heading out West (the Left Coast).

Cheers!

Stormin, I spent some time in the Dayton area myself. Went to high school in Greenville, then moved to Englewood. Left in '69 for the service. I have a sister still in that area , Beavercreek, so I do get back about every other year. I am in Oklahoma now, Tulsa .

Welcome to the forum. Don't give up on us.

Well, I've managed to work my way through this & the reloading sub-forum in the interval...

My latest trips to the range have resulted in a couple additional SUGGESTED trial reloads for that Xtreme 150gr plated FP bullet: 19.0gr of IMR 4198 & 25.0gr IMR 4895. I note it (the bullet, not the load data) was one specifically & previously mentioned on what was probably the longest individual thread on the reloading sub-forum?

Unique @ 10.0gr didn't cut the mustard, nor did IMR 4227 @ 17.0gr: too weak to even get on paper vs. a 150gr SP factory loading.

Any opinions as to whether I'm pushing that specific bullet's capabilities? 18.0gr of the IMR 4198 got me on the paper only a couple inches below the factory ammo. No indication of keyholing or any unusual deposits in the barrel: cleaned up with just a few passes with a boresnake.

Speer has 30-30 load data for another powder I had picked up for 300 Blackout & 308 WIN: PowerPro 2000-MR. I know it is too high a velocity (2300-2500fps!) for plated bullets and there's no data for reduced velocity loads (as there commonly is for H4895): any suggestions for other plinker-style bullets appropriate for the range and these velocities? Were I to ever use the 464 for actual hunting I would just use the factory fodder I inherited with the rifle... Or a spitzer-style bullet with one in the chamber and one for a 2nd shot in the tube...

Cheers!

P.S. No pic's (images?) or video forthcoming of the two hammer positions: suffice to say there's the fully cocked and what would otherwise be described as a "half-cocked" position: sorry!

I will have to look at my reloading notes, because I cannot for the life of me remember what powder and loads I was putting in 30-30 brass.

I just remember trying to make them too long and not being able to close the chamber.

Back