• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where have you hunted, and for what?

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
I predominately deer and turkey hunt and have done some goose hunting. I also am going to start small game hunting again to teach my kids how to hunt. I also like to bowhunt for groundhogs in the late spring and summer.
I was wondering what states everyone has hunted in and for what.
I deer hunt in my home state of Indiana and one day want to bowhunt Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky.
I have turkey hunted all over south-central Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and New York. My favorite out of state hunting trip was the New York trip.
I started goose hunting a few years back during Indiana's late goose season in February. It is fun, but I have not had alot of luck yet as I am not a very good wing shot. I have heard that duck hunting is a little easier.

I've primarily hunted in Michigan for:

Animal - how I've hunted
Deer - gun/bow
Black Bear - Bow
Turkey - gun/bow
Grouse - gun/bow
Woodcock - gun
Rabbit - gun
ducks - gun
Geese - gun
Squirrel - gun
Yotes - gun/bow
various other critters = gun /bow

I also went on a black bear hunt in Canada with a group of traditional bowhunters.
I hunted for a week and never saw a bear. :(

I've tried a few times to schedule other hunts outside of MI but for various reasons the plans have fallen through.

I hunt just about everything: Deer, Turkey, Grouse, Pheasant, Squirrel, Rabbit, Geese, and Ducks. So far I've only hunted in Pennsylvania. In November I'll be going down to Virginia on a Deer hunt with a good friend of mine. I'm getting a three day license and hunting Mon-Wed of Thanksgiving week. I figure I can get a meat on the table deer down there, then spend more time singling out a particular buck up here in PA. In November of 2014 I'm hoping to head to Montana on an Elk hunt with my dad. More on that to come...

Happy Hunting!

Ohio;

We hunt quail and pheasant, though havent done well with pheasant.

We have been hunting state land mostly as of this past season, but the year before I hunted on a preserve. The pheasant on the state grounds are released in limited numbers with many taken the first couple days and by thanksgiving.

We just got the rifle and hope to start turning things around on varmints and predators at the farm.

I havent hunted any other state but my own.

I like the thread! Thanks! ;)

I have only hunted turkeys, and coyotes. I have an invite to go to New Hampshire to hunt bear, and grouse/partridge in Maine. I have yet to hunt in any other state but my own....

I live and have hunted firearm in NJ for deer, pheasant, grouse, rabbit, chukar and turkey, most of all my deer hunting in jersey has been with a bow though. Penn for me has been deer with rifle. I do new york deer with firearm but mostly bow, I also do turkey, squirrel, rabbit, grouse coyote and porchupine in new york. And Ive also hunted Idaho twice for elk with firearm and have been talking again about giving elk with bow a shot?

hock said:
I live and have hunted firearm in NJ for deer, pheasant, grouse, rabbit, chukar and turkey, most of all my deer hunting in jersey has been with a bow though. Penn for me has been deer with rifle. I do new york deer with firearm but mostly bow, I also do turkey, squirrel, rabbit, grouse coyote and porchupine in new york. And Ive also hunted Idaho twice for elk with firearm and have been talking again about giving elk with bow a shot?

Where in Idaho did you hunt for elk? Did you get one? I'll take any advise on planning an elk trip that you can give me, there is a link to my elk thread in my signature. Thanks :D

The first time I went out we hunted an area called freezeout and I will try to find a map for the location. My uncle took a bull and my uncles friend took a bull I saw one when I was on top of the mountain but couldnt get close enough I also saw two cows. The second time out we hunted the sellway zone which was part of the bitterroot mtns and there were about 8 of us camping. None of us took an elk but i saw three cows no bulls. My Uncle set up camp two weeks before we got there and we just took the trucks up the mountain, it was an adventure i will always remember, cold and snowy at the top of the mountain. From the main rd it was an hour drive up the mountain on a primitive dirt logging road. There wasnt anyone in the woods with us unlike freezeout which had probably 8-10 different camps on the mountain. I will be turkey hunting with my uncle the first weekend in may I will come up with info and get back to you on it.
And my uncle lives in moscow idaho so those zones are within driving distance of moscow.

Michigan

Lake County (Rifle Zone): Deer
Washtenaw County (Shotgun) : Deer

I have not hunted for any other critters but I would love to hunt Antelope or Mountain Goat in Wyoming, I think that would be awesome. I would also like to Hunt Bear right here in Michigan, I still have to look into that though.

LDMcFear said:
Michigan

I have not hunted for any other critters but I would love to hunt Antelope or Mountain Goat in Wyoming, I think that would be awesome. I would also like to Hunt Bear right here in Michigan, I still have to look into that though.

If you are interested in bear, start now. The drawings are based on points. Depending on which hunt you may have to wait a few years to draw a tag. I've been putting in for just a "preference point" for a few years now to better my odds of getting the hunt I want. I think it was only a couple of bucks for the point.

Or you can apply and if you do not get drawn you automatically get a point added to your total. It used to be it took around 5-6 points to be pretty much guaranteed a draw in some of the higher demand area's/times.
The application period runs May 1 through June 1.

Here's a link to the hunting guide: Bear Hunting Guide 2012

Or you can find moire info on www.michigan.gov/dnr

MikeD said:
LDMcFear said:
Michigan

If you are interested in bear, start now. The drawings are based on points. Depending on which hunt you may have to wait a few years to draw a tag. I've been putting in for just a "preference point" for a few years now to better my odds of getting the hunt I want. I think it was only a couple of bucks for the point.

Or you can apply and if you do not get drawn you automatically get a point added to your total. It used to be it took around 5-6 points to be pretty much guaranteed a draw in some of the higher demand area's/times.
The application period runs May 1 through June 1.

Here's a link to the hunting guide: Bear Hunting Guide 2012

Or you can find moire info on www.michigan.gov/dnr

Sweet! Mike You rock thanks for the links :mrgreen:

I'm still hopin on getting to the farm for coyote. Its just a couple counties over, still south western Ohio.

A buddy of mine got 3/4 of his turkey slam this year. He went to Nebraska for the Merriams and Kansas for the Rio. All DIY on public land in 2 states for around $600 and that includes hotel/motels! I am going to try that next spring with him. The way they did it was as soon as they tagged out, they moved on. There were 4 people, so he thinks it can be done cheaper still.

I do all of my hunting in Texas.
My uncle has some land in Rusk, Texas which is in East Texas. This is where I do all of my deer hunting. So far all I have used for Deer hunting is my rifle, but I would love to get into bow hunting.
I live in Southeast Texas and this is where I do waterfowl hunting and dove hunting at. We also have great waters for some trout, redfish and flownder.
I have only started hunting in the past few years and wish I would have taken intrest in it when I was younger and my dad was still hunting.
Of course I use my mossy 500 for all my birds and my atr100 for my deer :D

tcecil88 said:
A buddy of mine got 3/4 of his turkey slam this year. He went to Nebraska for the Merriams and Kansas for the Rio. All DIY on public land in 2 states for around $600 and that includes hotel/motels! I am going to try that next spring with him. The way they did it was as soon as they tagged out, they moved on. There were 4 people, so he thinks it can be done cheaper still.

This is something I would like to accomplish. I think this will have to wait until a much later date, but definitely in the cards.

Back