• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where to find small pistol magnum primers

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'd like to load some hot .357 magnum and my usual haunts don't have any small pistol magnum primers in stock anywhere.

Anyone got a lead on where I might find some?

Looks like they're out of stock of all, except the CCI on strips, which is $40, and that's pretty steep once you add another $40 for haz mat and shipping.

Yes. Or at least Hogdon Load data recipe does for the 357.

Specifically, Winchester matter of fact, but I'm not that picky about brand. I just didn't want any blown primers just in case.

I plan to load a couple of dozen to max, or near max for bear repellent ;)

I can give you the start and max loads what their load data says, but I haven't worked them up yet (obviously--no primers yet).

I don't expect that I'll get the full 1650 fps out of the handgun because the velocity was supposed to have been through a 10 inch barrel, so the Pardner will probably exceed the published data some being a 16 inch barrel and the model 66, reduced some because it's a 6 inch.

I plan to use longshot powder for the hot loads. Titegroup for the regular 357 magnum charges and the cast bullets.

I'm unsure if the powder coat will hold up on the cast bullets at the highest velocities (charge)? I also need to ask if they're hard cast or not just because I'm curious?

357 mag load data.PNG

I can give you the start and max loads what their load data says, but I haven't worked them up yet (obviously--no primers yet).

I don't expect that I'll get the full 1650 fps out of the handgun because the velocity was supposed to have been through a 10 inch barrel, so the Pardner will probably exceed the published data some being a 16 inch barrel and the model 66, reduced some because it's a 6 inch.

I plan to use longshot powder for the hot loads. Titegroup for the regular 357 magnum charges and the cast bullets.

I'm unsure if the powder coat will hold up on the cast bullets at the highest velocities (charge)? I also need to ask if they're hard cast or not just because I'm curious?

View attachment 13696

Hi John.

Those 158-gr LSWCs are hard cast, and I have fired them as powder-coated to 1500+ FPS with zero issues thru a Handi-rifle with a good barrel.

Honestly, I have never ever tried a 125-gr Lead Round Nose Flat Point. That data is pre-powdercoated bullet availability, I would think.

But I can tell you that Titegroup will NEVER need a magnum primer, in fact I would recommend against it.

If you think I can get by with standard small primers, I don't mind loading a couple up with them to see how it goes. The longshot powder that I was wanting to use for my "hot bear loads", burns slower and builds a lot more pressure though, but in looking at the hornady load data, only about 800 more psi with the Hornady xtp, which all things considered is not a "whole" lot in the grand scheme of things.

After all if we're looking at the whole picture, the Pardner receivers can be fitted to numerous other cartridges, including .243 which is about 60k psi, so the receiver itself should be able to hold up to a popped primer and be relatively contained and stable if I were to have one.

I guess I could load one or two up with a relatively warm charge and see how the primers hold up and look for pressure signs before jumping straight to the max powder charge.

John, I'll look thru my several modern load data books and see if Longshot shows a significant trend toward only magnum primers.

Hodgdon used them for their load data you illustrated and it might be mandatory across the board, but I will check into it.

Reason I am mentioning this is that I have loaded an assload of .357 Magnum handgun and carbine loads with 2400 and did not need a magnum primer. And Longshot and 2400 are twins on the burn chart.

***** I just called Hodgdon about your exact question about Longshot in .357 Magnum and Mike said that Hodgdon used a magnum primer for ALL load tests they published and tested for the .357 Magnum. Powder was not a consideration when they chose the primer and recorded the load recipe. All the .357 Magnum loads regardless of powder and bullet... they used a small pistol magnum primer. Take that for what it is worth.

Longshot being a spherical powder... i would think you would probably benefit with a magnum primer, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

If a standard pistol primer fails in a MAGNUM cartridge because of the powder selection, it isn't failing because it "pops" or ruptures or shows pressure signs. It just wouldn't create a complete burn and maybe leave some unburned powder and lower velocities.

Thank you for your insight and help on this nitesite and for talking to hogdon to get the right answers. It sure helps me out and is appreciated too. I'm having to use a magnum primer in one of my 300 blackout powders, so I understand what you mean about having the right combination.

I have a chrony and can test them and can look down the bore to see if there is a ton of fouling and residue that would indicate the primer isn't hot enough to do its' job like it should.

I am just cautious by nature. maybe too cautious to a fault.

Thanks Pawpaw. Unfortunately, they didn't have what I was looking for.

I was able to test 12 rounds that I loaded. I started off at the minimum with both powders and worked my way up incrementally to max.

As usual, nitesite was absolutely correct. The standard small pistol primers worked without issue, even loaded to max charges. The longshot powder was the dirtier of the two, but there was very little residue in the barrel afterwards and was an acceptable amount. I wasn't real surprised that longshot was a little dirtier either. It's the same way in my shotguns too.

The max charge of longshot, was really hot. And not something I would consider feeding a steady diet of, but I am going to load up enough rounds to fill the cylinder up and use those for my defensive loads. Prayerfully, I will never have to use them, but if I'm going to defend myself, I want to do it properly.

I had just finished deer hunting for the year and I didn't take my chrono with me so I don't know the velocity of each, but the max charge of longshot really pushed the butt of the gun into the palm of my hand and had some muzzle rise to it. The max charge of titegroup was mild.

There was no pressure signs in the cases or primers, and the gun didn't have a problem with any of them either.

Back