• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which metal Mossberg 500 safety to buy?

I have this setup (promag safety with beat sight) on my 500 Mariner. No, the safety does not interfere with sight picture when looking directly down the barrel.

Picked up a Triceratops Customs. Mainly because it included the screw and Allen wrench (though I have a complete set of them).
988f05c4fc0119e78d825dc840c83a3c.jpg

-- Mark

Several do or you can reuse the one way screw.

Used the masking tape trick and forgot about the detention ball. Fortunately I was able to find it. I put the hump to the rear as I felt I could get a better grip on it to put the 500 into safe.

-- Mark

I bought one of the NDZ safeties off eBay. it looks like the one in the top picture in the original post, except I bought it anodized in red so it can be seen at a distance, for when perhaps a cousin or Nephew might be holding that shotgun. I think I paid ~$9 shipped It came with an Allen head screw and the correct Allen Key for it

I bought one of the NDZ safeties off eBay. it looks like the one in the top picture in the original post, except I bought it anodized in red so it can be seen at a distance, for when perhaps a cousin or Nephew might be holding that shotgun. I think I paid ~$9 shipped It came with an Allen head screw and the correct Allen Key for it

I like that one too. Ordered a 'kit' for my Daughter's Mossy and the follower for mine...since I already had replaced the safety on it.

Safety M500A.jpg

^^^^

That is what I put on mine as well.

NDZ.jpg
NDZ_2.jpg

I just went through this with the plastic safety on my 40-ish year old ATP-8. Went into 4 or 5 different local hardware stores and never could find a low socket head in the correct thread and length. Turns out, I live near a Fastenal distribution center that's tucked away in a light industrial area. They'd only sell full boxes of 100. But it was still cheaper than buying a hand full online and paying $10 for shipping.

So I now own 100 of these little buggers. Got plenty of spares for my 3 shotguns.

I'd be happy to drop one into a padded envelope and mail it to anyone here that asks.
I know this was three years ago, but do you still, have any left? Thanks.

Willdog, welcome to Mossberg Owners.
DarkPassenger308 hasn't posted here for a couple of years, but if he still has his email set to get notices maybe I can wake him up for you.

Hey @DarkPassenger308 can you help @Willdog4 out with a 500 safety? Thanks. Scoop

Picked up a Triceratops Customs. Mainly because it included the screw and Allen wrench (though I have a complete set of them).

-- Mark
Thanks, Mark. This is what I was looking for, I just didn't know it!
The paddle on the Brownells, NDZ etc. theoretically could catch on something so for me they are out. The VCS Big Speed Safety is a little taller than the stock safety.
Like Goldilocks I think the Triceratops Custom is just right. The taller profile is ramped and less likely to snag. My order was just placed.
il_fullxfull.1591802394_sg50.jpg

I installed the Triceratops Customs safety, and am 100% happy! Took less than 5 minutes, fits perfectly, solid, and looks & feels great.

Attachments

• 16C56A69-B066-4838-87E3-13301C5EF56B.jpeg
    16C56A69-B066-4838-87E3-13301C5EF56B.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 27
  • 54654566-9C95-4CB8-83E7-DA22A72CB994.jpeg
    54654566-9C95-4CB8-83E7-DA22A72CB994.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Installed the Triceratops today. I took out the fitting it screws to inside of the receiver, dressed its edges and checked for burrs while I was at it.
The stock anti-tamper screw came out without any drama.
Much easier to manipulate than the stock button.

Just a quick tip/reminder to all. When replacing your safety selector on Mossy 500 pump shotguns, courtesy of John A, who was replacing his recently. Make sure you have the slide racked all the way back before removing the retaining screw!
If you have to ask why try it without the slide back and learn the hard way!

Last edited:
Back