• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which round to get Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action in?

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
.25-06 Rem., .270 Win., 30-06 Sprg., 7mm Rem. Mag., .300 Win. Mag., or .338 Win. Mag.

I was leaning towards getting on in 30-06 Sprg but still up in the air. Anyone have any input?

Yeah, I think 30.06 too, especially since .308 isnt a choice! :)

After shooting a bunch of rounds through the Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action in .30-06 I am happy with my decision. Its a very smooth shooting rifle with great accuracy for the price range of this rifle.

If you order the .300 Win Mag, you will receive it in .300 WSM. Mossberg does not make the 4x4 bolt in .300 Win Mag. Not sure if they know the difference in casing sizes

It all depends on what you are going to use the piece for. I own a 4x4 in 25.06, 300WSM and 338 Win Mag and love them all. For 2011 Mossberg has added 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and 308 Win to their 4x4 line up and kept all three of the big Winchester Short Mags so there is a much larger selection than ever before. They have dropped the skeleton stock (which I happened to really like and own two rifles with it) from the stock selection but kept all of the other styles. The Mossberg web site is way behind so it doesn't show the new offerings yet. The only way I found out was by buying their new catalog/magazine at the local Wally (well worth the money). You can now choose from 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM and 300 WSM in their short action 4x4's and 25-06 Rem, 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06 SPRF, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag in their long action 4x4's so you have a lot of calibers to consider. I do have a few suggestions to apply to your considerations. If you are planning to get one of the magnums, get it in the synthetic stock. I have found that the synthetic stock on my 338 absorbs a substantial amount of the recoil resulting in it kicking much less than my 300 WSM with a laminated stock. If you buy any caliber that requires the long action, cough up the money for a one piece picatinny scope rail. On a 4x4 long action the scope blocks are so far apart that you could have problems mounting your favorite scope. I even put the one piece picatinny's on short actions just because they look so damn good. If you are a large framed individual, like I am, you might want to consider installing a spacer between the recoil pad and stock to lengthen the pull. I've done this to all three of my 4x4's. It sure made them more comfortable. I also highly suggest that you get your rifle in 'Marine Coat'! You will never regret this. I always bust out laughing at deer camp when my hot shot buddies start to stress out because it's misting, raining or snowing and they just can't get their Weatherby's, Browning's or Tikka's wet! I just slap on my poncho and get going. A little weather is never going to hurt one of my 4x4's. Marine Coat is by far the toughest finish I have ever been around and it never discolors like the stainless on one of my M700 Rem's did. I will be ordering a new 4x4 in a week or two in 22-250 Rem. Over the years I've always stuck with a 223 because I am able to see where the bullet impacts through a scope. 250's recoil just enough that I can't see the impact through the scope, even on some heavy barrel pieces I've had. It's important to me to see where I'm hitting so I can make adjustments for distance, wind, etc. when I'm prairie dogging or ground squirreling. It is my hope that the muzzle brake will eliminate this problem. The research I've done says it will. If it works out, I've added to my 'doggin' arsenal. If it doesn't work out, I've added to my 'song dog' arsenal. Either way, I've added to my 4x4 collection! A lot of people say that '4x4's are a good gun for the money'. I say '4x4's are a great gun, period. My 4x4's out shoot most of the rifles in my collection, some of which cost five to ten times more than my 4x4's. It's good to own a rifle that you're not afraid to slug through the briers with and not care what the weather is doing. Enjoy your new piece and let us know what you got, how you set it up and how it shoots.

Ol' Fussy

Lots of good info, I appreciate it! I dont have any rifles as of yet, (cant rifle hunt here except for the song dog) and I have always planned on a Mossy bein my first!

Back