• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who's ready for a little fishing?

Well, my 13 year old daughter seems to have passed me in fishing skills. She has some uncanny ability that I don't know where it comes from. She's ahead of me for keepers for the year by 2 so far. On Sunday evening we went out for some twilight bass fishing. She had two nice ones and I had none. She talked me into trying a spot because she wanted me to catch one too. Isn't that what the dad is supposed to do for the kid?
Carbinette: "cast in just past the no swimming sign"
Me: "ok, ok."
Carbinette: "that's to far, bring it back a few feet until I tell you to stop. That's it."
Me (thinking I'm humoring her): "I got one".
I pulled out a nice one too. Like I said, she has a knack.
1003724_10200452157009981_1296878275_n.jpg

In the picture she is checking her bait. You can see the worm hanging on the hook.

Yeah, we had a great time. She has been pesting me to hit the stocked trout stream one more time just in case a few a still left. She also want back to the river for catfish. She'd go twice a week if I'd take her. My boy doesn't have the patience for a lot of fishing. He's my target shooting partner.

I'm heading up to my buddies cabin this weekend to do a little fishing. This will be my first time out since we ice fished over the winter. I hope to get something photo worthy. :D

LeadMonkey said:
little gar I caught last year in south Florida...

ready to go back and do some deep sea fishing again....

That's pretty cool.

I've really never fishing anything other than the small lakes here in MI. I did do a little walleye fishing on Lake Erie a while back but that is the closest I've been to big waters. I'd love to try some deep sea fishing someday.

hell I caught that little thing in a canal behind my fathers place...... but yes going deep sea fishing is an experience!

My first time out deep sea... and this is what I grab...

It looked enough like a Marlin that I looked it up. They are in the same family. That must have been some 45 minutes.

Has anyone tried/own a baitcasting reel? What's the trick to making it perform? What kind of fishing is it best for? What lures work well with it?

I just got a diawa reel. It seems the heavier the lure the better the cast.

You mean the kind that tangle up in a bird's nest every time no matter what I do?

Yeah, I've tried those... :evil:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
You mean the kind that tangle up in a bird's nest every time no matter what I do?

Yeah, I've tried those... :evil:

Yep...that'd be the one.... :oops:

There's one sit'n in the corner of my garage right now, still tangled up from the last time I tried to use it about five years ago. I'm all about open face spinning reels...

I actually had good luck casting underhand, but every time I cast over hand it splashed into the water 5 feet in front of me. So....I used a heavy lure and cast sideways and it went out about 20 feet.
I was using a heavy lead weight in the yard and could put it where ever I wanted to, but then using it on the water was a different story. It took almost 30-40 casts before I got the hang of it.

Back